Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: cpu cant find any bootable drive...help!

sameer0807's Avatar I aIn'T nO sErIoUs
    Hi,

For some reason my old computer cant find any bootable drive. The comp has a hard drive (no cd rom or floppy disk) and i want it to boot from hard drive.

I went into system options, in hoping to change the settings to boot from hard drive, but all the boot priorities are disabled, there are no option to choose from....it just says disabled on all 4 boot priority.

wats going on here? how can i fix this problem?

please advice....cheers

"I'll be here... I'll be 'waiting'...here... I'll be waiting... for you ... so... If you come here... You'll find me. I promise..."

2. Software & Hardware   -   #2
    abu_has_the_power's Avatar I have cool stars
    is this harddrive set on master or slave? set it to master. and if there's no operating software installed on it, it won't boot. and if u need to install mobo chipset drivers and other drivers for the hardware of another computer on this hdd, it might have recognition problems with this computer

3. Software & Hardware   -   #3
    Virtualbody1234's Avatar Forum Star BT Rep: +2
    Quote Originally Posted by sameer0807
    Hi,

For some reason my old computer cant find any bootable drive. The comp has a hard drive (no cd rom or floppy disk) and i want it to boot from hard drive.

I went into system options, in hoping to change the settings to boot from hard drive, but all the boot priorities are disabled, there are no option to choose from....it just says disabled on all 4 boot priority.

please advice....cheers
    Why would you have boot priority opitons if there's only one bootable device?

Does the drive have what is needed to boot?

4. Software & Hardware   -   #4
    Quote Originally Posted by abu_has_the_power
    is this harddrive set on master or slave? set it to master. and if there's no operating software installed on it, it won't boot. and if u need to install mobo chipset drivers and other drivers for the hardware of another computer on this hdd, it might have recognition problems with this computer
    thanks....the problem was that my hard drive didn't have any os on it. Once i installed it, it worked fine.....untill.....another problem:

Ok so everything was working fine once i installed OS on the hard drive, after some time i had to restart the computer, and now OS wont boot. It again cant find the OS and gives me error. This time i cant even go to system menu, 'cause my mouse and keyboard wont work.

I have checked, the mice & keyboard are working fine on other computer, but they wont work on the old computer. The keyboard wont even power up on the old computer.

So now I'm stuck here. Every time i try to start the computer it cant find the OS. I tired couple other hard drives but same shit. I even tried to install OS again, but it wont boot from CD-ROM either......

what happened now?
    Last edited by sameer0807; 11-24-2005 at 04:21 AM.

"I'll be here... I'll be 'waiting'...here... I'll be waiting... for you ... so... If you come here... You'll find me. I promise..."

5. Software & Hardware   -   #5
    Darth Sushi's Avatar Sushi Lord
    Is your button battery dead? If it is, the bios settings are never saved. If the bios time is way off, the battery is dead.

BTW, when (or if) you formated the HD, did you format it as a bootable partition?

6. Software & Hardware   -   #6
    Quote Originally Posted by Virtualbody1234
    Quote Originally Posted by sameer0807
    Hi,

please advice....cheers
    Why would you have boot priority opitons if there's only one bootable device?
    No there are no boot priority options, what i meant was, I went into boot priority options to set hard drive as first boot priority, but all the four options said disabled.......so there were no other options that i could choose.

7. Software & Hardware   -   #7
    clocker's Avatar Shovel Ready
    I would try Darth's suggestion.
    Replace the battery and clear CMOS.
    "I am the one who knocks."- Heisenberg

8. Software & Hardware   -   #8
    Quote Originally Posted by clocker
    I would try Darth's suggestion.
    Replace the battery and clear CMOS.
    and how exactly i do that? where is battery and CMOS? srry if its a noob question...
    cheers

9. Software & Hardware   -   #9
    clocker's Avatar Shovel Ready
    Without knowing your motherboard it's hard to be specific, but...
    Typically the CMOS battery looks about the size of a quarter (and it's shiny silver).
    With the machine unplugged, remove the battery for a minute or two.
    At the same time you must clear the CMOS jumper.
    Somewhere (and it varies from board to board) is a 3 pin header with a jumper over two of the pins. Move the jumper to the "clear" position and let it sit for a minute.
    Replace jumper in original position, replace battery and power up the machine.
    Go into BIOS, which has now been reset to factory default and make the necessary changes ( for instance time, date, boot order, etc).

Might help.
    "I am the one who knocks."- Heisenberg

10. Software & Hardware   -   #10
    Chewie's Avatar Chew E. Bakke
    Without knowing your motherboard it's hard to be specific, but...
    Typically the CMOS battery looks about the size of a quarter (and it's shiny silver).
    With the machine unplugged, remove the battery for a minute or two.
    Depending on the age, the battery may be cylindrical and soldered to the board. Certainly Compaq used this type for a long time and the only way around it is a little plug-in job that connects to a dedicated header.
    The watch-type ones are almost always CR2032 (never come across a different one).

At the same time you must clear the CMOS jumper.
    Somewhere (and it varies from board to board) is a 3 pin header with a jumper over two of the pins. Move the jumper to the "clear" position and let it sit for a minute.
    PCChips (aka PC Shit) and other ultra-cheap mobos don't have a header per se, merely two solder points that need to be shorted with a flat blade screwdriver or similar.

I'm not presuming to teach my mother to suck eggs here, clocker, just adding extra data for consideration.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast