Thread: Filename Length

Poster
    I use NERO to burn files to CD for storage. These are downloaded as full albums in folders. Sometimes the person who has ripped them puts a lot of detail into the folder and filenames. To such an extent that NERO says the names are too long.

I would like to keep the file names and not have NERO cut them short. Could you tell me if there is a setting to do this and if so how can I access it.

Cheers for any help.

2. Lounge   -   #2
    Darth Sushi's Avatar Sushi Lord
    That is not possible because those are the specifications of the CD format.

3. Lounge   -   #3
    Poster
    Thanks DS

Long story short, I just have to rename the files to something appropriate which will be allowed by NERO.

4. Lounge   -   #4
    Ex-member
    Just use a tag editor to store the information in the actual music files - that way the info will come up when you open them in your media player.

5. Lounge   -   #5
    Poster
    Thanks for that, I think put up your jukes does that when it reads the files into it's database. If you select that option. In fact I'm sure it does, then it shows the details when it is playing them.

It's more when I look at the files using explorer or the like that I was talking about. I like to be able to read the full file name and not have it stop half way thro.

6. Lounge   -   #6
    Ex-member
    You could sort them yourself.

Put them into folders to categorise them: artist-->album-->track

That way the artist and album are stored in the folder path and all you need in the filename is the track no. and title.

eg.
    +Del Amitri
    ---+Hatful Of Rain
    ------01 Roll To Me.mp3
    ------02 Stone Cold Sober.mp3
    ------03 etc.
    ---+Some Other Sucker's Parade
    +Bon Jovi
    ---+Bounce
    ------01 Undivided.mp3
    ------02 Everyday.mp3
    ------03 etc.
    ---+Crush
    ---+These Days

That would keep things organised and tell you what you need to know.

You could even group the artists by genre...

7. Lounge   -   #7
    When making a data CD with Nero you can choose ISO Level 2 that will allow a maximum of 31 chars for each file name/folder name.
    Nero usually chooses ISO Level 1 by default which only supports 11 chars (8 for the filename + 3 for the file extension). This is the old DOS naming scheme.
    Nero sets ISO Level 1 by default because Windows 3.1 only supports 11 chars and this way the burned CD will be compatible with all OSs. I don't think people use Windows 3.1 anymore!
    Level 2 allows you to use long names.

When creating a new ISO project, click on the ISO tab and choose ISO Level 2. That should do the trick.
    It's in this dialog box:

Of course this will only work if the filenames aren't longer than 31 chars, are they?

8. Lounge   -   #8
    Ex-member
    From what JmiF's saying, I think there will be more than 31 characters.

Think about it:

"Del Amitri Hatful of Rain 14 Some Other Sucker's Parade.mp3"

That's 58 characters...

btw I'm not implying that he's a Del Amitri fan (he might not be ), I'm just using them as an example.

9. Lounge   -   #9
    Poster
    Someone posted somewhere about letting people know if you have resolved things.

I have tried using udf file format instead of Joliet. That seems to have done the trick, so far no problems.

I am also using a program called VOB instant CD/DVD 6.5 which I got from a cover disk of all places. It's easy to use and selecting the udf format is just a matter of clicking a box.

So far everything seems to work OK. I can't see any problems in using this, however can anyone tell me if there are any.