Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: build help

tesco's Avatar woowoo
    The short/skinny ends on those risers go into the holes on teh case, the fat and long ends go through teh holes on your motherboard and hold the mobo on themselves wihtout screws.
    These are the brass risers:
    The riser screws into the case holes and then the mobo sits on top of them, and screws go through the mobo into those brass risers.

When I first put my computer together I didn't know about those things and ended up shorting the board. The guy where I bought the board were nice enough to give me a new board free tho.

2. Software & Hardware   -   #12
    Seedler's Avatar T__________________T
    Thx for replies, and I got the mobo into the case (yay!).

Now I'm installing the cpu, and i was just wondering, should i just go with the thin layer of factory applied thermal paste or should i buy my own brand-name thermal paste for my cpu fan? I use a socket 939 3200+ venice core, and the heatsink came with the cpu.

3. Software & Hardware   -   #13
    clocker's Avatar Shovel Ready
    Quote Originally Posted by Seedler

Now I'm installing the cpu, and i was just wondering, should i just go with the thin layer of factory applied thermal paste or should i buy my own brand-name thermal paste for my cpu fan? I use a socket 939 3200+ venice core, and the heatsink came with the cpu.
    If you're using the factory HSF just go ahead and install using the pre-applied TIM.
    Last edited by clocker; 11-29-2005 at 12:10 AM.
    "I am the one who knocks."- Heisenberg

4. Software & Hardware   -   #14
    suprafreak6's Avatar Suprafreak6 is Back!
    omg i heart this seedler fella, hes like me but in another country, go ahead and ask more questions fella it will be good for me because i was going to ask that anyway
    ps those are the same risers i got

5. Software & Hardware   -   #15
    tesco's Avatar woowoo
    Quote Originally Posted by Seedler

Like VB1234 said before it's a lot easier to install the CPU and heatsink if the mobo is out of the case...

6. Software & Hardware   -   #16
    clocker's Avatar Shovel Ready
    Well if you want to get technical...
    You should have installed the CPU, RAM and vid card and posted the board outside the case.

To kinda see if it worked, like, before it went into the case.
    But we're past that now.
    "I am the one who knocks."- Heisenberg

7. Software & Hardware   -   #17
    Seedler's Avatar T__________________T
    Quote Originally Posted by clocker
    Well if you want to get technical...
    You should have installed the CPU, RAM and vid card and posted the board outside the case.

To kinda see if it worked, like, before it went into the case.
    But we're past that now.
    Yah I had a bit of trouble getting the x800GTO into the PCI-e slot cuz of the crammed space. Now i just have to shop for a better power supply and a new case fan.

Btw, i only found 5 mobo risers, and I fixed them 4 onto the corners of the mobo, and one in the middle out of 9 possible spots to fit mobo risers. Do i really need a riser in each of the 9 mobo risers? The mobo seems perty steady right now

8. Software & Hardware   -   #18
    lynx's Avatar .
    Do i really need a riser in each of the 9 mobo risers? The mobo seems perty steady right now
    To be blunt, YES. The mobo makers didn't put 9 holes there for the fun of it. Crack the traces on the board and it is worthless, and that's what will happen if there isn't enough support.
    Political correctness is based on the principle that it's possible to pick up a turd by the clean end.

9. Software & Hardware   -   #19
    suprafreak6's Avatar Suprafreak6 is Back!
    haha well i hope people support me this much when im building my computer parts are almost here come friday

10. Software & Hardware   -   #20
    silent h3ro's Avatar Poster BT Rep: +9BT Rep +9
    A little off topic but wow, you guys are very helpful. Hopefully u guys can help me when I get my new case and mobo for Christmas.

Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast