Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Macrovision Forces Removal of DVD Decrypter

[news=http://www.slyck.com/newspics/decrypter.jpg]During June of this year, it was learned that DVD Decrypter 3.5.4.0 would be the last version released. DVD Decrypter, as its name implies, is a tool used to strip the contents of copy protected DVDs. It uses the DeCSS engine to defeat the weak Content Scrambling System that was supposed to protect DVDs.

Considering DVD Decrypter was easy to use and didn't cripple the disc like DVD X Copy, it quickly became the premier DVD copying utility. Unlike DVD X Copy, it did not strip special features include a nag screen. The integrated burning utility has also been popular among users. Despite being discontinued, it remains in wide use.

Eventually its popularity was noticed by concerned copyright holders, which hastened its demise. The developer announced on Afterdawn "a certain company" had threatened him with litigation, forcing him to discontinue the software.

"Ok so it has taken a while (almost 2 years), but eventually "a certain company" has decided they don't like what I'm doing (circumventing their protection) and have come at me like a pack of wolves. I've no choice but to cease everything to do with DVD Decrypter."

The "certain copy" turned out to be Macrovision, a firm that specialized in developing DRM (Digital Rights Management) software. In an interesting twist, Macrovision also purchased the intellectual property rights of the software. This move allows Macrovision considerably more leeway in protecting their interests, rather than suing the company out of existence. Today, they used that increased power to force Afterdawn.com to remove DVD Decrypted from the download inventory.

"As the current owner of the intellectual property rights in DVD Decrypter Macrovision has contacted us to inform that "any license granted by Lightning UK! to AfterDawn for the distribution of any version of the Software [DVD Decrypter] is hereby terminated with immediate effect."

Now, Macrovision can go to any site that hosts DVD Decrypter and easily force its removal. No DMCA threats, no legal troubles, and little justification to receive a hard time.

Source: http://www.slyck.com/[/news]

2. News (Archive)   -   #2
    maebach's Avatar Team FST Captain
    That sucks, it's a great tool.

3. News (Archive)   -   #3
    backlash's Avatar usenet lover
    /me downloads right away to store for future use

4. News (Archive)   -   #4
    Yoga's Avatar \ ( ^ 0 ^ ) / BT Rep: +8BT Rep +8
    too bad

5. News (Archive)   -   #5
    Virtualbody1234's Avatar Forum Star BT Rep: +2
    But it's still available on eMule.

6. News (Archive)   -   #6
    twisterX's Avatar Poster

7. News (Archive)   -   #7
    abu_has_the_power's Avatar I have cool stars
    sigh

glad i still have my copy

8. News (Archive)   -   #8
    zapjb's Avatar Computer Abuser BT Rep: +3
    Shit it's available at doom9. F macro, symatec & all these big co fng buying the best. Then fng them up or just killing the apps.

9. News (Archive)   -   #9
    That really blows, the guy that made it though should have made it open source before all of that stuff happened, then it could have just lived on

10. News (Archive)   -   #10
    Skiz's Avatar (_8(I)
    I would be lost w/o DVD Decrypter.

As soon as I heard that it had been taken down (the website and software), I put my current version on a disc for future use.

yo

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast