Thread: LAME alt preset extreme question

S!X's Avatar L33T Member BT Rep: +5
    I wanna rip my fort minor cd with EAC but Im not sure about this bitrate option. Im going for quality but dont know if I should leave it at 128 or what. Also does anyone know what settings scene groups use to rip their music with? I originally ripped my FM cd in --alt preset standard/ 128K and the filesizes were exactly the same as the XXL release

2. Software & Hardware   -   #2
    tesco's Avatar woowoo
    Use a variable bit rate.
    This means it changed the bit rate throughout the song as it neesd to to pick up all the sounds.
    Set to variable ATLEAST 128

3. Software & Hardware   -   #3
    When I had it set to --alt preset standard/128 it was vbr but could of been better. I'll try that.

4. Software & Hardware   -   #4
    Chewie's Avatar Chew E. Bakke
    I always rip at 320cbr Stereo HQ. I don't worry about the filesizes and they always sound awsome..
    I don't bother with anything below 192k; I really can hear the difference between 192 & 128 (even 160 most times) - the frequency range is much wider in 192, giving a much clearer overall sound.
    Mind you, bitrate is only half the battle; there is absolutely no point ripping at high bitrates if the result is clipped and distorted. It's so hard finding Depeche Mode's latest without distortion. Even those privately ripped at 320 have been crap. Alanis Morissette's Greatest is also one that's around in shit quality 192k at the moment (XXL's rls included).

5. Software & Hardware   -   #5
    Just ignore the Bit rate field and the high and low quality selectors. Since we use a custom command line they will be ignored by EAC.

The Coaster Factory :: Exact Audio Copy Quickstart Manual (EN)
    http://users.pandora.be/satcp/eac-qs-en.htm#tomp3

6. Software & Hardware   -   #6
    Quote Originally Posted by madden player
    Just ignore the Bit rate field and the high and low quality selectors. Since we use a custom command line they will be ignored by EAC.

The Coaster Factory :: Exact Audio Copy Quickstart Manual (EN)
    http://users.pandora.be/satcp/eac-qs-en.htm#tomp3
    Alright thx I'll try it out.

@chewie, yea XXL is ghey.... they rip in APS
    Last edited by S!X; 12-01-2005 at 12:13 AM.