Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Windows Vs Linux

Originally posted by pyromonkey@20 April 2003 - 15:57
    i have an external modem and i cant get it to work either!!! i'm calling my isp on tuesday (offices closed on weekend) to get the problem fixed (i'm using mandrake linux 9.1)
    I would call my ISP about it, but it would be pointless for me. As far as I'm aware there is no linux compatable driver available for my motorola surfboard

2. Software & Hardware   -   #12
    i bet i'm doing some little stupid thing thats keeping linux from connecting... maybe if i re-install it and put in more information when it asks me for internet stuff... a friend of mine worked at my isp last summer, and said that linux should work fine!

3. Software & Hardware   -   #13
    Windows because Games run better on windows and not linux but with linux you can host a good server for a game or something..

4. Software & Hardware   -   #14
    Poster
    I say it mostly depends what you are used to.

I would definately go with windows because of combality in general. It is way more combatible with everything than Linux.

Mandrake Linux is very good though. It has a great G.U.I. (KDE, Gnome) and is fairly easy to use. I used it for awhile but I had to switch back to windows because i was so much more used to windows.

5. Software & Hardware   -   #15
    Wolfmight's Avatar Poster BT Rep: +1
    Originally posted by Kokanee@20 April 2003 - 16:23
    Just wondering if you could make a partition and leave XP pro on and put Linux on a partition just to fool around with it until I got it working?
    did u see my post before yours? hehe, it's ok. Quick answer

6. Software & Hardware   -   #16
    Poster
    Originally posted by The__One@19 April 2003 - 10:53
    ...however, it will not always be today, and I belive that in the near future, Linux will kick Windows (Micro$oft's) ass...
    I think you are right about that. If Microsoft integrates that new spyware into the next edition of Windows, Linux RedHat will be the choice for many people who can't shell out the $200.00 for Windows.

Now, I need 3 CD labels to make into stickers for my LINUX REDHAT 9.0, www.cdcovers.cc does not have them.

Any suggestions on finding the real labels for this software?

7. Software & Hardware   -   #17
    Originally posted by Spindulik+21 April 2003 - 02:49--></span><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (Spindulik @ 21 April 2003 - 02:49)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin--The__One@19 April 2003 - 10:53
    ...however, it will not always be today, and I belive that in the near future, Linux will kick Windows (Micro&#036;oft&#39;s) ass...
    I think you are right about that. If Microsoft integrates that new spyware into the next edition of Windows, Linux RedHat will be the choice for many people who can&#39;t shell out the &#036;200.00 for Windows.

Now, I need 3 CD labels to make into stickers for my LINUX REDHAT 9.0, www.cdcovers.cc does not have them.

Any suggestions on finding the real labels for this software? [/b][/quote]
    I have to agree with both of you here, if LH is released bundled with all this DRM, Anti-Piracy, Spyware bollox then I&#39;m certainly not getting it.

I&#39;d either stick with XP, or go to FreeBSD.

8. Software & Hardware   -   #18
    Originally posted by opivy+20 April 2003 - 12:28--></span><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (opivy @ 20 April 2003 - 12:28)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin--The__One@19 April 2003 - 10:53
    I belive this has been thoroughly discussed in other threads...but anyway, I know that Linux is a better overall OS then Windows. Today, Windows in the best choice for the "home user", who dosen&#39;t want to have to know anything about coding, configuring files etc.. Windows is a lot more user-friendly, and it is compatible with the programs that ppl use today (or the programs were made to be compatible with windows).

Now Linux, is better for the "advanced" user, the programmer etc, it is more stable then windows (even tho XP is pretty stable), it&#39;s virtually hack/virus-free , and it let&#39;s U delve into the OS&#39;s source code and change it to your liking ( U have to know some coding tho), and Linux is Free.....even tho most ppl&#39;s Windows are also "free" , Linuz is really free (without the quotes ). And there are several other features that linux has, wich kick-ass, but let&#39;s just leave it at this.

It comes down to this: Even if both Windows and Linux were free, I&#39;d still go for linux.....U see, today I have both Linux and Windows on my comp, since I need windows to run some apps, that won&#39;t work on linux, &#39;specially games ..however, it will not always be today, and I belive that in the near future, Linux will kick Windows (Micro&#036;oft&#39;s) ass. Just take a look at Red Hat 9.0, the user interface is as user-friendly as window&#39;s, but with the linux "engine" running behind it

p.s: sorry if I rambled on too mutch
    Linux is just as hackable as XP and there are tons of viruses for Linux [/b][/quote]
    u say that there r tons of virus for linux but there r tons more for windows too

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12