Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Windows Vs Linux

i say windows is better.

post ur comments

2. Software & Hardware   -   #2
    imported_The__One
    I belive this has been thoroughly discussed in other threads...but anyway, I know that Linux is a better overall OS then Windows. Today, Windows in the best choice for the "home user", who dosen't want to have to know anything about coding, configuring files etc.. Windows is a lot more user-friendly, and it is compatible with the programs that ppl use today (or the programs were made to be compatible with windows).

Now Linux, is better for the "advanced" user, the programmer etc, it is more stable then windows (even tho XP is pretty stable), it's virtually hack/virus-free , and it let's U delve into the OS's source code and change it to your liking ( U have to know some coding tho), and Linux is Free.....even tho most ppl's Windows are also "free" , Linuz is really free (without the quotes ). And there are several other features that linux has, wich kick-ass, but let's just leave it at this.

It comes down to this: Even if both Windows and Linux were free, I'd still go for linux.....U see, today I have both Linux and Windows on my comp, since I need windows to run some apps, that won't work on linux, 'specially games ..however, it will not always be today, and I belive that in the near future, Linux will kick Windows (Micro$oft's) ass. Just take a look at Red Hat 9.0, the user interface is as user-friendly as window's, but with the linux "engine" running behind it

p.s: sorry if I rambled on too mutch

3. Software & Hardware   -   #3
    u have some few points there .i would switch to linix but i am not still a programmer

4. Software & Hardware   -   #4
    Only problem I have with Linux is it's lack of support for hardware (specially USB surfboard modems) and also, many of the programs I use on Windows, are not available for Linux. And, all my coding is Windows based, so it would be kinda pointless for me to use linux right now.

5. Software & Hardware   -   #5
    I would say windows jsut as said above it is build foe the home user and as long as i can use my progs i am happpy.

6. Software & Hardware   -   #6
    4play's Avatar knob jockey
    yeah my modem and most internal modems refuse to work under linux which was a major setback.

But linux is excellent for what it does best ( a server operating system.)

apart from that windows has become very stable so im sticking with it as my default os for the moment.

7. Software & Hardware   -   #7
    Originally posted by The__One@19 April 2003 - 10:53
    I belive this has been thoroughly discussed in other threads...but anyway, I know that Linux is a better overall OS then Windows. Today, Windows in the best choice for the "home user", who dosen't want to have to know anything about coding, configuring files etc.. Windows is a lot more user-friendly, and it is compatible with the programs that ppl use today (or the programs were made to be compatible with windows).

Now Linux, is better for the "advanced" user, the programmer etc, it is more stable then windows (even tho XP is pretty stable), it's virtually hack/virus-free , and it let's U delve into the OS's source code and change it to your liking ( U have to know some coding tho), and Linux is Free.....even tho most ppl's Windows are also "free" , Linuz is really free (without the quotes ). And there are several other features that linux has, wich kick-ass, but let's just leave it at this.

It comes down to this: Even if both Windows and Linux were free, I'd still go for linux.....U see, today I have both Linux and Windows on my comp, since I need windows to run some apps, that won't work on linux, 'specially games ..however, it will not always be today, and I belive that in the near future, Linux will kick Windows (Micro$oft's) ass. Just take a look at Red Hat 9.0, the user interface is as user-friendly as window's, but with the linux "engine" running behind it

p.s: sorry if I rambled on too mutch
    Linux is just as hackable as XP and there are tons of viruses for Linux

8. Software & Hardware   -   #8
    Wolfmight's Avatar Poster BT Rep: +1
    My way of rateing it is:

1.Windows (supports 90% of the software out there)
    2.Mac OS (2nd highest used)
    3.RedHat/BeOS (they are free, and fun for advanced users like myself).

If you got windows, download Virtual PC, then download a linux os (prefferably RedHat) off Linux ISO and install it with Virtual PC. That way u can run it within your windows o/s with no problem.

9. Software & Hardware   -   #9
    Kokanee's Avatar The beer out here!
    Just wondering if you could make a partition and leave XP pro on and put Linux on a partition just to fool around with it until I got it working?

10. Software & Hardware   -   #10
    Originally posted by 4play@19 April 2003 - 20:31
    yeah my modem and most internal modems refuse to work under linux which was a major setback.

But linux is excellent for what it does best ( a server operating system.)

apart from that windows has become very stable so im sticking with it as my default os for the moment.
    i have an external modem and i cant get it to work either!!! i'm calling my isp on tuesday (offices closed on weekend) to get the problem fixed (i'm using mandrake linux 9.1)

@Kokanee: i dont know bout redhat, but with mandrake you need to make a partition to seperate it from windows... you can do so in the installation (or before with partitionmagic), and its very very easy!!

My vote is for Linux... as soon as my internet runs on it... i'm using linux and only linux!!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast