Your Ad Here Your Ad Here
Results 1 to 10 of 10

Thread: Installing video card, but dont have AGP slot...

  1. #1
    sameer0807's Avatar I aIn'T nO sErIoUs
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Location
    - = C.a.N.a.D.A = -
    Age
    30
    Posts
    961
    Hi,

    Bought a ATI 9800 video card, but just checked that my computer doesn't have a AGP slot....So now what? Is there a way i can still install it? May be some sort of adaptor or something? Or return it?

    Let me know
    cheers

    "I'll be here... I'll be 'waiting'...here... I'll be waiting... for you ... so... If you come here... You'll find me. I promise..."

  2. Software & Hardware   -   #2
    clocker's Avatar Shovel Ready
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Posts
    15,388
    What kind/model of PC do you have?
    "I am the one who knocks."- Heisenberg

  3. Software & Hardware   -   #3
    sameer0807's Avatar I aIn'T nO sErIoUs
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Location
    - = C.a.N.a.D.A = -
    Age
    30
    Posts
    961
    Quote Originally Posted by clocker
    What kind/model of PC do you have?
    oh sorry forgot to mention it:

    My comp specs:
    Medion MD1773
    Pentium 4

    cheers

    "I'll be here... I'll be 'waiting'...here... I'll be waiting... for you ... so... If you come here... You'll find me. I promise..."

  4. Software & Hardware   -   #4
    Im sorry I ran across that prob too there is no possible way to put the agp card in your computer. I always thought that all vid cards fit the same. Im guessing you need a PCI Express card Im not sure if that the same I keep getting mixed up.
    Systems Specs
    -----------------------------------
    O/S: Windows Xp Service Pack 2
    Processor: Intel Pentium 4
    Speed: 2.6 ghz
    Graphics: Nvidia Geforce 6800 128MB DDR SDRAM
    Ram: 1Gig of ram
    Comp Model: Hp Pavilion a250n
    -----------------------------------

  5. Software & Hardware   -   #5
    sameer0807's Avatar I aIn'T nO sErIoUs
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Location
    - = C.a.N.a.D.A = -
    Age
    30
    Posts
    961
    Quote Originally Posted by imasoldier
    Im sorry I ran across that prob too there is no possible way to put the agp card in your computer. I always thought that all vid cards fit the same. Im guessing you need a PCI Express card Im not sure if that the same I keep getting mixed up.
    shit .... i guess i should have checked first what kind of graphic card i need before i went to buy it.

    Well anyways i m in no mood to return it, 'cause i could always use that graphic card for my other computer that has a AGP slot.

    So wats the diference between AGP and PCI cards? Do they perform the same?

    What PCI card should i get for gamming purposes?

    Thanks for the help

    "I'll be here... I'll be 'waiting'...here... I'll be waiting... for you ... so... If you come here... You'll find me. I promise..."

  6. Software & Hardware   -   #6
    I hope you returned it dude!
    Customer: "I want to download the Internet. Do I need a bigger hard disk?"

  7. Software & Hardware   -   #7
    Seedler's Avatar T__________________T
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Canada
    Posts
    4,644
    Quote Originally Posted by sameer0807
    Quote Originally Posted by imasoldier
    Im sorry I ran across that prob too there is no possible way to put the agp card in your computer. I always thought that all vid cards fit the same. Im guessing you need a PCI Express card Im not sure if that the same I keep getting mixed up.
    shit .... i guess i should have checked first what kind of graphic card i need before i went to buy it.

    Well anyways i m in no mood to return it, 'cause i could always use that graphic card for my other computer that has a AGP slot.

    So wats the diference between AGP and PCI cards? Do they perform the same?

    What PCI card should i get for gamming purposes?

    Thanks for the help
    PCI-e is theoretically faster than AGP X8, allowing more bandwidth. But right now, it honestly doesn't make that much of a difference for mainstream video cards. Except maybe for the fact that PCI-e video cards uses less power than AGP cards.

    BTW, the 9800 is overpriced right now for its price/performance ratio, so think about getting a X800GTO which is probably the best on the market for its price/performance ratio. I bought myself a X800GTO for my new pc, and it's priced at around $200-220 CAD.

  8. Software & Hardware   -   #8
    clocker's Avatar Shovel Ready
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Posts
    15,388
    You assume that his PC sports PCI express which I don't think is the case.
    I think he needs a plain vanilla PCI card.
    "I am the one who knocks."- Heisenberg

  9. Software & Hardware   -   #9
    Seedler's Avatar T__________________T
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Canada
    Posts
    4,644
    Quote Originally Posted by clocker
    You assume that his PC sports PCI express which I don't think is the case.
    I think he needs a plain vanilla PCI card.
    Ouch, plain PCI card... They will be extremely overpriced and outdated, so get a new comp god dammit

  10. Software & Hardware   -   #10
    Wolfmight's Avatar Poster BT Rep: +1
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Location
    Location: Location:
    Posts
    5,873
    Note: PCI-Express can't run in PCI slots. The slot has to the PCI-Express or else a little man will run in your house and stab you! (well actually, it just wont work.)

    Yea, I'd recommend saving up some good bucks and getting a nice mobo with PCI-Express ($60-70 for an Abit or Gigabyte), 64-bit CPU (most PCI-Express mobos only support them, but you can get a AMD Semprons for around $70), and a good nvidia pci-express card. The prices range from $100-$500, and decent ones that can run DOOM 3 and Half-life on Max at a "SICK!" 40-50fps unfortunately cost around $200-$300. $100 for something that'll just run the games at 30fps on normal settings and res.
    It's up to you and your budget.
    Computers can get pricey, but they tend to look the best when it comes to games. I have a PS2 and all the games look nearly 10x better on my PC. (after downloadin a *cough* back-up copy *cough* that I meant to be in PS2 format but was accidentally received in "PC" format. Good stuff *cough* erm erm i mean accident you know.

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •