Page 1 of 6 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: New Orleans to Get Free City-Wide WiFi

Skiz's Avatar (_8(I)

New Orleans Mayor Ray Nagin has announced that the entire city of New Orleans will be blanketed by a free WiFi network within a year. This move is expected to boost the city’s economy that was all but destroyed from the Hurricane Katrina disaster.

Thanks to Intel Corp., Tropos Networks and Pronto Networks who donated most of the hardware necessary for the project, these hardwares will be mounted on top of street lights in order to cover the whole city.

The network will operate at a speed of 512 kilobits per seconds, until the city’s state of emergency is lifted, which will then drop to a 128 kilobits per seconds in accordance to state laws restricting government-owned internet services.

It's nice to see that Mayor Nagin still has the city's priorities in order.

yo

2. The Drawing Room   -   #2
    j2k4's Avatar en(un)lightened
    Yeah, what an asshole.

He should be in the same canoe as most of the N.O. police force: OUT OF WORK.
    "Researchers have already cast much darkness on the subject, and if they continue their investigations, we shall soon know nothing at all about it."

-Mark Twain

3. The Drawing Room   -   #3
    Skiz's Avatar (_8(I)
    Well he has already purchased a home in the Dallas area.

Heck of a way to "roll your sleeves up" and show your fellow citizens you're going to stay and help out Nagin.

yo

4. The Drawing Room   -   #4
    Seedler's Avatar T__________________T
    N.O. is ferked up bad right now. People lost their homes, jobs, everything. I honestly don't think this project will be much of a help.

5. The Drawing Room   -   #5
    BigBank_Hank's Avatar Move It On Over
    The state is really a mess and we have no leadership to take charge and problem solve.

It’s good to know that there is WIFI available throughout the entire city when there are still parts with no electricity and clean drinking water.

6. The Drawing Room   -   #6
    vidcc's Avatar there is no god
    multitask: n.

Often used of humans in the same meaning it has for computers, to describe a person doing several things at once. The term multiplex, from communications technology (meaning to handle more than one channel at the same time), is used similarly.

jargon

it’s an election with no Democrats, in one of the whitest states in the union, where rich candidates pay $35 for your votes. Or, as Republicans call it, their vision for the future.

7. The Drawing Room   -   #7
    Skiz's Avatar (_8(I)
    umm...ooookay.

yo

8. The Drawing Room   -   #8
    Quote Originally Posted by Skizo
    umm...ooookay.
    What is causing you confusion?

it’s an election with no Democrats, in one of the whitest states in the union, where rich candidates pay $35 for your votes. Or, as Republicans call it, their vision for the future.

9. The Drawing Room   -   #9
    Busyman's Avatar Use Logic Or STFU!!!
    Quote Originally Posted by vidcc
    Quote Originally Posted by Skizo
    umm...ooookay.
    What is causing you confusion?
    Your're in the wrong thread.

Compton's Encyclopedia/Dictionary is down the hall, then make your first left.
    Silly bitch, your weapons cannot harm me. Don't you know who I am? I'm the Juggernaut, Bitchhhh!

Flies Like An Arrow, Flies Like An Apple
    ---12323---4552-----
    2133--STRENGTH--8310
    344---5--5301---3232

10. The Drawing Room   -   #10
    Explain to me.

What is wrong about doing more than one thing at a time?

Sure the electric and water isn't up in all places yet, sure there are still houses not rebuilt. Is the suggestion that the people that are tasked with these are somehow going to be hindered because other "less urgent" tasks are being carried out ? Has this work stopped to carry out other tasks? Are resources being taken away ?

Page 1 of 6 1234 ... LastLast