Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Privacy Patch

clocker's Avatar Shovel Ready
    Last night as I was happily posting away here in the Forum, enjoying the benefits of my broadband connection, a message popped up on the screen- " Please don't cut me off!". I IM'd back and discovered that I was talking to a guy(?) in Tunisia. He had been trying to dl a Stan Ridgeway song for weeks and was continually cut off because of his extremely slow speeds and inability to show shared files. Apparently, IPS policies in North Africa are very restrictive and this poor guy was suffering the consequences of appearing to be a "leech".
    He got his file- it took almost an hour!- and was profusely grateful.
    Just a note to all the generals of the "I hate Leeches" Brigade... the collateral damage in your war may be more extensive than you imagine. It seems to me that the desire of the more fortunate to eradicate the "problem of leeching" may , in fact, be a form of technological elitism. Discrimination against those who, for whatever reason ( legal, hardware, ISP policy), don't measure up to your standards of "sharing". It might be beneficial to put yourself in their position every now and then and learn what it might feel like to be cut off from the advantages that many of us take for granted.
    My new Tunisian friend will be dl'ing the K-Lite program today- it will probably take hours- and hopefully will come to the forum where he can explain what Internet usage is like in his part of the world. Maybe folks will see that the "plague of leeching" is in part simply the attempt of the less technologically fortunate to access the network that we play in.
    Isn't this sandbox big enough for them too?
    "I am the one who knocks."- Heisenberg

2. File Sharing   -   #12
    Poster
    Good points, well presented. I agree.

3. File Sharing   -   #13
    If nobody showed the lists the people would'nt be able to selevt them to download. There will always be people who are inconsiderate or stupid. Ignore them, this appliesin equal parts to the "I hate leechers" gang and to the leechers themselves. I sould'nt have to say that you can't tell why you can not see the files.

4. File Sharing   -   #14
    1/2 Man, 1/2 Amazing
    Great post clocker...

I wouldnt consider myself apart of the anti leecher brigade, as its now called...

but do i see both sides of the fence... but I think I am on this side... I mean... the concept of not wanting leeching in itself is the "you dont get something for nothing"... that is in essence, contradictory to what we do here in general... 95% percent of p2p is just that, something for nothing... so why the double standard i wonder sometimes.

like, we suddenly become moral when someone else isnt partaking in our illigetimacy to the same level we are?

i guess starting off using IRC in the early years, before this all became so easy with p2p, has helped me in this stance... cuz people have, for years, and still do, provide the service on IRC for free, leeches and all...

5. File Sharing   -   #15
    Poster
    Originally posted by rastilin@21 April 2003 - 15:56
    If nobody showed the lists the people would'nt be able to selevt them to download. There will always be people who are inconsiderate or stupid. Ignore them, this appliesin equal parts to the "I hate leechers" gang and to the leechers themselves. I sould'nt have to say that you can't tell why you can not see the files.
    I don't show my lists and people download from me all the time. When they search for a file my version of it is included in their download.

I am also told that, if people try to view large lists it often crashes kazaa. People in this situation have told me (on this board) that they would much rather that I didnīt allow my list to be seen, as it would almost certainly make them crash.

People using other systems which I am on can look at my list. This includes SS and DC++. However that is because these systems work in that way.

6. File Sharing   -   #16
    1/2 Man, 1/2 Amazing
    yeah... i can imagine people could have that problem with my share as well... i share over 3000 files, over 100 gigabytes... bringing that up, could be an issue.

7. File Sharing   -   #17
    Originally posted by Schmiggy_JK23@21 April 2003 - 09:23
    yeah... i can imagine people could have that problem with my share as well... i share over 3000 files, over 100 gigabytes... bringing that up, could be an issue.
    Bringing that up must be an issue for your system...

8. File Sharing   -   #18
    1/2 Man, 1/2 Amazing
    neg... my system is hella fast... no probs at all...

9. File Sharing   -   #19
    Originally posted by Schmiggy_JK23@21 April 2003 - 18:11
    neg... my system is hella fast... no probs at all...
    There's a puddle at the base of my computer's tower. I think it pissed itself when I wrote "100 Gig Shared Folder".

BTW Cartman, if you say "hella" one more time...

10. File Sharing   -   #20
    1/2 Man, 1/2 Amazing
    ya, my friends think its funny... 80g hd, and a 180g hd... tons and tons of goodies...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast