Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: "iraq-ijuana"

it occurred to me that both the drug war and Operation Iraqi Freedom use similar PR strategies -- exaggerate the dangers/risks of the enemy in order to generate support/justification with the general public. While neither drugs nor saddam could honestly be desribed as "harmless", government response has been way out of proportion in both cases.

I'll assume as fact for this post that the dangers of drugs are exaggerated (but happy to provide details if requested). Its early days for saddam still, but the fact that they have found NOTHING does not bode well, and you've got to assume the army has devoted significant resources to looking for the stuff.

2. The Drawing Room   -   #2
    Poster
    Iraqis like the hashy they don't drink booze ( a muslim thang ) I was wondering the same thing. I saw alot of "CNN" reports about Iraqi opinions, and it seems that there was "alot" of hash-smoking hooka's....me wonders if Iraq will become a Holland-type of "drug-scene"

3. The Drawing Room   -   #3
    Poster
    I dont think the danger of drugs is exaggerated at all.(xept marijuana)

4. The Drawing Room   -   #4
    Originally posted by "The Avatar Man"@20 April 2003 - 05:34
    I dont think the danger of drugs is exaggerated at all.(xept marijuana)
    Just so I know where you're coming from, what are do you mean by "drugs", which ones?

5. The Drawing Room   -   #5
    ok, prohibition was a bad idea right? a total failure by all accounts?

does it take a genius to see the parallels to the war on drugs?

all i know is that growing up and goin to high school (grad in '97) it was far easier to score any type of dope i wanted than to buy beer.

they should just sell whatever u want in government controlled stores. make fat coin on taxes, ensure quality of merchandise, put a ton of criminals out of business, and make shit more difficult for kids to buy.

as for iraq, well thats a real threat. although, like the war on drugs, it might help some republicans to get re-elected.

6. The Drawing Room   -   #6
    Originally posted by sAdam@20 April 2003 - 08:23
    as for iraq, well thats a real threat.
    Iraq is a threat like getting killed in a car crash is a threat. Its not like say, SARS is a threat. Now there's something shrub should be declaring war on.

they've been there a month, and still no WMD. even if they do eventually find *some*, they'd probably find more at some montana survivalist camp. They should be focussing on the next McVeigh, domestic terrorism is probably far more likely to strike than OBL. Or what about the threat of young males going postal and blowing away a dozen people with a semi-auto? THAT's a threat.

anyway, for war on drugs, the law makes the criminals not the drug. The law makes people kill and OD and have a criminal record, not the drugs. almost all the negative effects of doing drugs are the product of the laws, not the drugs.

7. The Drawing Room   -   #7
    MagicNakor's Avatar On the Peripheral
    Originally posted by myfiles3000@20 April 2003 - 10:05
    ...Its not like say, SARS is a threat. Now there's something shrub should be declaring war on...
    I wonder how that would go...

things are quiet until hitler decides he'd like to invade russia
    so, he does
    the russians are like "OMG WTF D00DZ, STOP TKING"
    and the germans are still like "omg ph34r n00bz"
    the russians fall back, all the way to moscow
    and then they all begin h4xing, which brings on the russian winter
    the germans are like "wtf, h4x"
    -- WW2 for the l33t

8. The Drawing Room   -   #8
    Originally posted by MagicNakor+20 April 2003 - 10:52--></span><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (MagicNakor @ 20 April 2003 - 10:52)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin--myfiles3000@20 April 2003 - 10:05
    ...Its not like say, SARS is a threat. Now there&#39;s something shrub should be declaring war on...
    I wonder how that would go... [/b][/quote]
    weapons research, the USAs forte. but it would mean sending some of the DOD&#39;s money to the CDC

9. The Drawing Room   -   #9
    MagicNakor's Avatar On the Peripheral
    Isn&#39;t it rather hard to bomb SARS, though?

Unless it happens to be like that kid&#39;s show I saw once, with talking blood cells and the like.

things are quiet until hitler decides he'd like to invade russia
    so, he does
    the russians are like "OMG WTF D00DZ, STOP TKING"
    and the germans are still like "omg ph34r n00bz"
    the russians fall back, all the way to moscow
    and then they all begin h4xing, which brings on the russian winter
    the germans are like "wtf, h4x"
    -- WW2 for the l33t

10. The Drawing Room   -   #10
    Jibbler's Avatar proud member of MDS
    There is an interesting parallel here. For those that don&#39;t know, over 85% of the world&#39;s herion comes from the middle east. Iraq is a huge producer as you can probably imagine. However, in this crazy world, you can put a spin on anything. Remember, its only NEWS, if it sells newspapers.
    Proud member of MDS

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast