Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Optical Mice

Poster
    I visited a friends house last week & he had an optical mouse, as you can imagine i was curious. So today i decided to spend my last tenner (£10) on one which had FIVE buttons. The truth is i really needed a new one anyway cos i beat my other one to death practically (got a vicious temper). The point is if you havent got one, GO GET ONE NOW. They're so smooth, feels great.

PS. how long have these things been around, i don't get around much, just sit here in front on my PC all FU*KIN day & night.

Jeez i must be bored posting shit like this

2. Software & Hardware   -   #2
    Poster
    they have been around for a loooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooong time..........

3. Software & Hardware   -   #3
    Darth Sushi's Avatar Sushi Lord
    Originally posted by Grim@20 April 2003 - 04:20
    PS. how long have these things been around, i don't get around much, just sit here in front on my PC all FU*KIN day & night.
    At least 10 years. My first one required a special mouse pad. Today, you can use any surface.

4. Software & Hardware   -   #4
    Poster
    10 years is a looooooooooooooooooooooooooong time, i gotta get oot more

5. Software & Hardware   -   #5
    1/2 Man, 1/2 Amazing
    ten years? are u sure sushi?

I thought the original ms explorer optical was one of the first... and that came out back in like, 98-99....

get a mx500 by logitech, its the best mouse around.

6. Software & Hardware   -   #6
    clocker's Avatar Shovel Ready
    I've got a wireless optical mouse ( Microsoft) and I like it alot, but it does tend to eat batteries. I wanna get one of those new 3D ones that has a recharging/docking station right after I save up to get a decent monitor.
    "I am the one who knocks."- Heisenberg

7. Software & Hardware   -   #7
    Darth Sushi's Avatar Sushi Lord
    Originally posted by Schmiggy_JK23@20 April 2003 - 04:58
    ten years?  are u sure sushi? 

I thought the original ms explorer optical was one of the first... and that came out back in like, 98-99....

get  a mx500 by logitech, its the best mouse around.
    The first one I had did not use IR technology used today. It needed a special mouse pad to reflect the light back. I may be off by a couple of years but I'm pretty sure it was before 95. Remember, Microsoft is not an innovator; they are just a marketing giant.

From PC World:
    Optical mouse technology isn't a new concept; Mouse System patented and introduced the first optical mouse with no moving parts in 1982. The company also developed the scrolling mouse wheel in 1994, which Microsoft licensed in 1998 for its first IntelliMouse. Mouse Systems still sells optical mice, but they differ from Microsoft's new design because they require a special mouse pad with a high-resolution grid pattern.

8. Software & Hardware   -   #8
    Poster
    Optical Mouse is THE THING! INSTANT RESPONSE!! No ball lag. I need to get a place mat or small carpet for mine. Playing Unreal Tournament, I knock stuff over and spill cups and stuff.

9. Software & Hardware   -   #9
    1/2 Man, 1/2 Amazing
    nice quote sushi... i never knew that... just knew that that ms mouse was the first, "mainstream" optical i guess...

the new mx700, if you want wireless, is the way to go, as it has no wireless lag, and is super accurate.

10. Software & Hardware   -   #10
    Poster
    I've got one. And I would NEVER go back to the old-fashioned ball-type mouse.

I work with AutoCAD everyday, and require that my mouse be smooth, precise, and easy on the hand/wrist.

I tried several different mfgs/models of optical mice, including both Microsoft and Logitech. The Microsft products sucked, IMO, so I decided to go with Logitech, which if youve ever used a Logitect product, you know how great their products are. I wanted to use a chordless optical mouse, but found that because of the (2) aa batteries required (and located inside the mouse), my wrist would become fatigued within 30 minutes of use due to it's weight - remember, I am running AutoCAD, so my hand/wrist/arm are in constant motion. I ended up with the "Logitech Wheel Mouse Optical Blue". This is the least expensive optical mouse in Logitech's line, and it is also their best performing, IMO. The final cost for this Ultra-Smooth, Super Precise, Never Needs Dust or Hair Removed Optical Mouse = $4.99 after rebates.....so I purchased 4 of them. My wrist LOVES this mouse, and I am able to zero-in on any point while working in AutoCAD.

I cannot say enough about this mouse, and would reccomend anyone who is readey to get into the optical mouse world to give this one a try.

Hope this helps someone.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast