Thread: Ram N00b

orcutt989's Avatar Blargh
    Hey guys. I am kind of a noob when it comes to computer hardware, I know about all the different parts and stuff, but when it comes to messing with it, I am just afraid. I want to get at least 1GB of ram in this PC, right now i have 512, and I looked at everest home edition and it seems dell put 1 stick of 256 in each of the ram slots, and the ram is ddr2 sdram, so I was just wondering what you guys think I should do. Maybe just keep one stick of 256 and put another stick of 512 in one slot? But I really want that 1GB, I am a heavy gamer/2d imager/programmer. Ram just confuses me. My friend has two sticks of 512 he said he would sell to me for 50 dollars, but he says itn isnt ddr2 sdram, but it would still work. That confused me because I thought you had to use specific ram for a specific motherboard or something? State your opinions guys and suggestions. I appreciate it much, thanks. :]

2. Software & Hardware   -   #2
    Duffman's Avatar Poster
    Uh the ram has to be the same type, whats your motherboard model number, or dell whatever...

3. Software & Hardware   -   #3
    Money Fist's Avatar Che-Che get the yayo
    go for 512 buddy
    you waste a future upgrade slot if you use 256's

wait a sec :S
    how many slots you got?
    Last edited by Money Fist; 12-13-2005 at 04:48 AM.

4. Software & Hardware   -   #4
    clocker's Avatar Shovel Ready
    DDR ram is NOT interchangable with DDR2.
    Your friend needs to do his homework.

I'd think that 2x512MB would be the setup you'd want.
    I know nothing of Intel based systems so I have no brand recommendations.
    "I am the one who knocks."- Heisenberg

5. Software & Hardware   -   #5
    Wolfmight's Avatar Poster BT Rep: +1
    You can't have SDRAM and DDR on the same motherboard. It only support one of them. Also, make sure you don't mix certain speeds. 333mhz plus a 400mhz will cause lower speed. Some people claim it doesn't even work sometimes, but I know that it's always worked for most upgrades I've done. I really don't recommend it unless you just don't have the money to upgrade all your RAM. You still see a speed improvement, but not at it's full potential.

6. Software & Hardware   -   #6
    orcutt989's Avatar Blargh
    Alright so I should check the clock speed my ram runs at and go from there?

7. Software & Hardware   -   #7
    ApacNTS's Avatar Helljumper
    in everest, under motherboard>spd, memory speed will be written, u need to match that speed and go with 2 sticks(assuming u have 2slots and dual channel support is available). so for instance if it read pc3200(400mhz) the ram you intend to buy would have to be the same.