Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Cant Format C Drive

Does anybody know how to format c drive,as i cant do it,i need urgent help,i am trying to format c drive from command prompt but i cant do it,and i have rebootable win xp cd but the cd doent picks up the setup when i restart the computer,so i need urgent help

2. Software & Hardware   -   #2
    backlash's Avatar usenet lover
    you can't format a drive you're using.

you probably need to set it to boot from the cd from within the bios. Take note of what it says when you reboot...Look for press __ for setup. it's probably the del key or maybe F2.

3. Software & Hardware   -   #3
    But i dont how to change the setting in bios,i need more info on it,so can anybody give me step by step info in how to change the bios setting,as when i insert my rebootable cd,the cd automatically doesnt catch the setup when i restart my pc...
    Last edited by red devils; 12-14-2005 at 02:02 AM.

4. Software & Hardware   -   #4
    tesco's Avatar woowoo
    what model computer or motherboard?

5. Software & Hardware   -   #5
    Its a normal pc

6. Software & Hardware   -   #6
    thewizeard's Avatar re-member BT Rep: +1
    ..a normal pc...that really is informative, if you wish step by step help, then you will have to do some work too...so what make is your motherboard, (MSI or Intel or..)and what bios have you ( Award?)...mostly one enters the bios by pressing the delete key during the "boot" then you need to set the bios to boot from cd as an earlier user already has pointed out...
    Last edited by thewizeard; 12-14-2005 at 11:37 AM.

7. Software & Hardware   -   #7
    Virtualbody1234's Avatar Forum Star BT Rep: +2
    Based on the posts so far in this thread... Get someone to do it for you.

This also has nothing to do with 'Internet & Programming'.
    Last edited by Virtualbody1234; 12-14-2005 at 12:13 PM.

8. Software & Hardware   -   #8
    Poster
    Do you have a floppy drive and a floppy disk handy?

If so, go here http://www.killdisk.com/
    Then follow instructions.

However if your XP CD won't boot into setup mode you might have a bit of tuorble installing it back into your system...

9. Software & Hardware   -   #9
    Bear in mind that killdisk will remove all the partitions on the drive. If there is a drive d: with data for use by a system restore CD it will be gone after you use killdisk.

You have to recreate partitions on the drive with FDISK after you do a complete wipe with a utility such as killdisk.
    "I went over to a friend's house the other day. He was having problems with his computer and he asked me to look at it, and I realized he had Windows Me and it's like, oh no—that's your first problem."-Michael Dell, founder and CEO of Dell.

10. Software & Hardware   -   #10
    Virtualbody1234's Avatar Forum Star BT Rep: +2
    Quote Originally Posted by zaphodiv
    Bear in mind that killdisk will remove all the partitions on the drive. If there is a drive d: with data for use by a system restore CD it will be gone after you use killdisk.

You have to recreate partitions on the drive with FDISK after you do a complete wipe with a utility such as killdisk.
    FDISK is obsolete. Doesn't support NTFS.

Bootup with the XP CD and all the partitioning and formatting tools, including NTFS, are right there at the beginning of the setup.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast