Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: How to poach an egg?

manker's Avatar effendi
    Gotta be fair - that is some quality advice.
    I plan on beating him to death with his kids. I'll use them as a bludgeon on his face. -

--Good for them if they survive.

2. Lounge   -   #12
    DorisInsinuate's Avatar Four Star Cynic
    Just realised it doesn't have a cooking time on it, just say's "poach normally" I've never poached an egg before, except from a farmer, who shot me in the shin, true story, y'all, lol.

I'm also wondering if I can cook more than one at a time.
    Last edited by DorisInsinuate; 12-17-2005 at 12:00 AM.
    It's hot in Topeka.

3. Lounge   -   #13
    manker's Avatar effendi
    Quote Originally Posted by DorisInsinuate
    Just realised it doesn't have a cooking time on it, just say's "poach normally" I've never poached an egg before, except from a farmer, who shot me in the shin, true story, y'all, lol.

I'm also wondering if I can cook more than one at a time.
    Try it and post pics

Only if you've nothing better to do, naturellement.
    I plan on beating him to death with his kids. I'll use them as a bludgeon on his face. -

--Good for them if they survive.

4. Lounge   -   #14
    vidcc's Avatar there is no god
    The clingfilm idea seems all well and good but wouldn't you be slightly put off by the view of what appears to be a used condom cooking

I like to poach my eggs with malt vinegar in the water, I wonder if the cling film would prevent the flavour getting into the egg. If it does why not just boil the egg in its shell ?
    Last edited by vidcc; 12-18-2005 at 04:28 PM.

it’s an election with no Democrats, in one of the whitest states in the union, where rich candidates pay $35 for your votes. Or, as Republicans call it, their vision for the future.

5. Lounge   -   #15
    Poster
    I had a dream about this topic

6. Lounge   -   #16
    JPaul's Avatar Fat Secret Agent
    Boil well salted water to rolling boil, just a few wee bubbles on the bottom of the pan. It's a simmer really. If it's any more than that it will break the egg apart.

I actually use water boiled in the kettle coz' it's quicker. Then just simmer it on the ring (ooer missus).

Pour a wee drop of olive oil on top, very thin film. It will coat the egg as it goes into the water, helping keep it together and giving it flavour.

Crack egg and very gently and slowly drop into the water, from as near the water as possible. This is the tricky bit, but if you do it as gently as possible you will get a great result.

If you have a decent egg it will hold together and poach really nicely. Don't fanny about with cling film or eddies, it's not needed.

That is all.

7. Lounge   -   #17
    Poster
    Quote Originally Posted by JPaul
    coz'
    When all is said and done, using an apostrophe in that manner is quite literally absurd. Apostrophe abuse is no laughing matter.

Sure, it's the time of year when grammar is of little import to the average forum user but that in no way excuses the tangible damage that is being done to the English language.

Bleeding heart liberals often have stickers emblazoned upon the trunk of their car, depicting the heartfelt message that puppies are for life, not just for Christmas. Puppy abusers are chastized by most individuals. Does the humble apostrophe pale into insignificance when put next to a young labrador...well, does it?

I implore you to consider the implications of apostrophe misuse when you construct your next message to this forum in general.
    Last edited by football; 12-20-2005 at 01:32 PM.

8. Lounge   -   #18
    Yogs's Avatar n00b
    Quote Originally Posted by football
    coz'
    When all is said and done, using an apostrophe in that manner is quite literally absurd. Apostrophe abuse is no laughing matter.

Sure, it's the time of year when grammar is of little import to the average forum user but that in no way excuses the tangible damage that is being done to the English language.

Bleeding heart liberals often have stickers emblazoned upon the trunk of their car, depicting the heartfelt message that puppies are for life, not just for Christmas. Puppy abusers are chastized by most individuals. Does the humble apostrophe pale into insignificance when put next to a young labrador...well, does it?

I implore you to consider the implications of apostrophe misuse when you construct your next message to this forum in general.

Manker?

9. Lounge   -   #19
    JPaul's Avatar Fat Secret Agent
    Quote Originally Posted by football
    coz'
    When all is said and done, using an apostrophe in that manner is quite literally absurd.
    Can the use of an apostrophe be figuratively absurd.

Please try to be less tautological when next chastising (and spelling "chastizing" correctly would also help.)

Bleeding heart liberals ....
    "Bleeding heart" liberals surely, unless you are referring to chaps who are losing blood via the (other) pumping organ.

Can I suggest, in like spirit, that you consider the use of the comma my American chum.

10. Lounge   -   #20
    Poster
    American

What gave me away.

I find that tautology is a rather effective tool when used in this sense; 'is absurd' Vs 'is quite literally absurd'.

You see, the latter indicates my disdain in an expicit manner. You may consider it technically incorrect and therefore distateful, but I was writing for the forum as a whole - while I highlighted your mistake, my plea is a general one.

One must cater for the masses, not the literary Bourgeoisie.

In addition, commas are to be used in prose where the writer wants to indicate a pause or change of subject matter to the reader - I wanted to indicate neither. The whole sentence was intended to be ingested without respite.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast