Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Tourism - Good or Bad?

Poster
    Quote Originally Posted by 100%
    To what extent is Tourism good or bad?

On my recent trip to the Canaries, i saw something i had never seen before - cities, villages built up soley for tourists - nothing else. Beaches created out of nothing, sand imported. Purelly for leasure...
    fake

Canaries is not designed for growing anything, it is associated with mars - the first people that came there where also tourists from colonised south america - now africans die on the sea in little boats to get there as the gateway to europe. Whilst mega yachts lie in the harbour.
    What are you talking about?Dont believe everything you see on TV.

2. The Drawing Room   -   #12
    JPaul's Avatar Fat Secret Agent
    Quote Originally Posted by hobbes

The downside is perhaps the cheapening of something of real historic importance. As inappropriate as Jerry Springer quoting Shakespeare, would be the conversion of Stonehenge into a minature golf course.
    Before anyone panics, hobbes made that up. Stonehenge has not become a miniature golf course (or even a minature one).

The sentiments expressed by j2 and others, whilst laudable, are the sentiments of (sophisticated) tourists. It would possibly be better to ask local residents of an area something like "Would you prefer to have your coastline left unspoiled, or feed your family".

The fact of the matter is, as j2 correctly points out, that the driving force behind this is economics. They need the tourist industry (I was going to say tourist dollar, but let's be honest most Americans spend their dollars in the USA) in order to provide income for other things.

I am quite sure that the locals do not want their heritage destroyed, any more than anyone else does. However they also want a decent standard of living. Given the choice I think most people would put their family's wellbeing above the shape of a nearby hill.
    Last edited by JPaul; 02-02-2006 at 08:51 AM.

3. The Drawing Room   -   #13
    j2k4's Avatar en(un)lightened
    Quote Originally Posted by JPaul

The downside is perhaps the cheapening of something of real historic importance. As inappropriate as Jerry Springer quoting Shakespeare, would be the conversion of Stonehenge into a minature golf course.
    Before anyone panics, hobbes made that up. Stonehenge has not become a miniature golf course (or even a minature one).

The sentiments expressed by j2 and others, whilst laudable, are the sentiments of (sophisticated) tourists. It would possibly be better to ask local residents of an area something like "Would you prefer to have your coastline left unspoiled, or feed your family".

The fact of the matter is, as j2 correctly points out, that the driving force behind this is economics. They need the tourist industry (I was going to say tourist dollar, but let's be honest most Americans spend their dollars in the USA) in order to provide income for other things.

I am quite sure that the locals do not want their heritage destroyed, any more than anyone else does. However they also want a decent standard of living. Given the choice I think most people would put their family's wellbeing above the shape of a nearby hill.
    'Tis a rather tight circle, and vicious, too.
    "Researchers have already cast much darkness on the subject, and if they continue their investigations, we shall soon know nothing at all about it."

-Mark Twain

4. The Drawing Room   -   #14
    Quote Originally Posted by j2k4

Stonehenge isn't vicious, it's a calendar ffs.

It's also not tight.

5. The Drawing Room   -   #15
    j2k4's Avatar en(un)lightened

It's also not tight.
    Tight enough, and vicious is in the eye of the the...um...tourist.

But I digress...
    "Researchers have already cast much darkness on the subject, and if they continue their investigations, we shall soon know nothing at all about it."

-Mark Twain

6. The Drawing Room   -   #16

It's also not tight.

But I digress...
    We don't even let tourists get within a brazillion yards of it now.

There's a wee rope, about 18inches off the ground, all the way round. That stops people getting in and .... looking at it close up.

7. The Drawing Room   -   #17

But I digress...

There's a wee rope, about 18inches off the ground, all the way round. That stops people getting in and .... looking at it close up.
    Was this after Clark W. Griswald made a wee miscalculation with his auto and made the stones tumble like a series of dominoes.

That is fact. I even saw the documentary.

Aren't we in the trust tree, thingey?

8. The Drawing Room   -   #18
    Busyman's Avatar Use Logic Or STFU!!!
    It shouldn't be whether tourism is good or bad.

It's whether gentrification is good or bad.

Tourism can be just a small part of gentrification.

If I take an area of D.C. row houses and fix them up and a developer adds a Saks Fifth Avenue and somore upscale stores in the same area, I'm bound to attract higher income residents with tourism having squat to do with it. Property values get raised and lower income residents near that area get squeezed out.

Furthermore our esteemed Supreme Court says that if said developer wants to take my land and put higher priced dwellings on it, I have to GTFO.
    Last edited by Busyman; 02-04-2006 at 06:55 AM.
    Silly bitch, your weapons cannot harm me. Don't you know who I am? I'm the Juggernaut, Bitchhhh!

Flies Like An Arrow, Flies Like An Apple
    ---12323---4552-----
    2133--STRENGTH--8310
    344---5--5301---3232

9. The Drawing Room   -   #19

Was this after Clark W. Griswald made a wee miscalculation with his auto and made the stones tumble like a series of dominoes.

That is fact. I even saw the documentary.

Indeed.

It took an age to put back in place. Given that we stayed with the original spirit and used druids, sans modern machinery, to carry out the contract.

They also installed the vital wee rope, to prevent similar accidental damage re-occuring.

10. The Drawing Room   -   #20
    lynx's Avatar .
    They also installed the vital wee rope, to prevent similar accidental damage re-occuring.
    I think you've missed the true purpose of the said rope. It's actually a very cunning anti-theft device.
    Political correctness is based on the principle that it's possible to pick up a turd by the clean end.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast