Thread: Vcds Resolution

Poster
    I was wondering whether it is better to d/l a movie file which is 352x288 and encode to mpg or d/l a movie file which is say 640x352 and encode to mpg then burning to vcd.
    Will the quality be better if it was originally a high quality?
    I know VCD is 352x288 (PAL) so should it make a difference whether the file was already higher than it will be (352x288)???
    I hope that it dosnt make a difference because obviously it would be much better to download a lower quality movie and then encode >>> then burn.
    PLEASE I NEED AN ANSWER. Surely someone must have wondered about this and even maybe tried...
    Surely it dosnt make a difference....i hope

2. Movies & TV   -   #2
    The higher res is always better. Because you are starting with better quality. It might encode faster if you use a 352x288 source but the movie will not be crisp. If you use a high quality (high res) source to encode to mpeg1 the movie will look really good even at the lower 352x288 or 352x240 vcd spec. trust me (600+ vcds

3. Movies & TV   -   #3
    Well if you download a movie with a smaller resolution and then watch the movie in full screen the resolution would get worse but the downloading would be faster

if you download a movie with a high resolution it would be better quality in full screen but the downloading would be longer.

your cal.....

4. Movies & TV   -   #4
    Jibbler's Avatar proud member of MDS
    Originally posted by JaVnI@20 April 2003 - 14:15
    I was wondering whether it is better to d/l a movie file which is 352x288 and encode to mpg or d/l a movie file which is say 640x352 and encode to mpg then burning to vcd.
    Will the quality be better if it was originally a high quality?
    I know VCD is 352x288 (PAL) so should it make a difference whether the file was already higher than it will be (352x288)???
    No, you are right on the money. The original source file will determine the quality. You can re-encode and convert files to ANY format, but the old adage is Garbage in, Garbage out. So the higher quality file that you start with, will give you the best results.
    Proud member of MDS