Page 14 of 16 FirstFirst ... 4111213141516 LastLast

Thread: More Powerful Than The Government?

j2k4's Avatar en(un)lightened
    I've not done so much reading without the urge to jump in; you guys are kicking the pig bald AND flat-Wow!
    It does seem, though, that Tide has to be given the nod, here: He IS undeniably the expert (assuming he is not lying about his livelihood) by virtue of the fact of his status as an attorney practicing in the same country wherein the RIAA, et.al., are trying to throttle P2P. He obviously has considered the situation in it's entirety, and has very graciously offered the coin of HIS realm for free, in the truest spirit of P2P.
    It matters not a whit that some of us are not in the U.S.; we may righteously disagree on such things as the war, but the leading-edge events (precedents) as regards our "thievery" will take shape HERE, and emanate accordingly.
    Tide is trying to educate, here-he's telling us what "IT" is-THAT is the reality; the eventuallity may be different, but it IS what it IS, from a legal point of view.

Now Tide, you don't really need JmiF's "proverbial biscuit" do you? Give it back......
    "Researchers have already cast much darkness on the subject, and if they continue their investigations, we shall soon know nothing at all about it."

-Mark Twain

2. File Sharing   -   #132
    Jim's problem is - I hope - mostly semantic. I sometimes wish, if I were going to share this much publicly, that I had used a different nick. Not only can most of you Yanks puzzle out where I went to college, but you can also figure out where I probably live. On top of that, the handle itself is instantly recognizable to literally thousands of people, should they happen on this site.

3. File Sharing   -   #133
    Originally posted by TIDE-HSV@23 April 2003 - 22:59
    Jim's problem is - I hope - mostly semantic. I sometimes wish, if I were going to share this much publicly, that I had used a different nick. Not only can most of you Yanks puzzle out where I went to college, but you can also figure out where I probably live. On top of that, the handle itself is instantly recognizable to literally thousands of people, should they happen on this site.
    I could be prosecuted for this , but don't muck about-change your I.D., and do it now-just PM one of us first, huh?
    "Researchers have already cast much darkness on the subject, and if they continue their investigations, we shall soon know nothing at all about it."

-Mark Twain

4. File Sharing   -   #134
    Probably a little late after 240 posts, but I am being a little more careful in what I say about my personal habits.

5. File Sharing   -   #135
    Originally posted by TIDE-HSV@23 April 2003 - 23:17
    Probably a little late after 240 posts, but I am being a little more careful in what I say about my personal habits.
    If you say so.

Clocker and I have decided to offer you a long-term contract, however, we don't have any boilerplate-know a good lawyer?

-Mark Twain

6. File Sharing   -   #136
    Well all kidding aside I do not think anyone is going to be knocking at my door (ever), though I am not interested in getting any letters or denial of service.

In the days of Napster it seemed a different issue to me (as it seems to Jb), but as time goes on I am obliged to agree with law here and I am not very impressed with those who reside in our community. Unfortunate, and loud examples are those such as TMD who sit in a theater (possibly during a screening) with a video cam (clearly for the purpose of distribution) or those who have created files such as winxp+crack.exe (what is legal or even morally ok about this). What do we think will follow (more laws robbing our freedom)? If it were legally to be proven ok, then what do we think will follow (seems to be a slight sense of chaos and looting, which we are already participating in)?

Jb stated their technology is flawed (I figure this only applies to music), this may be true, and they will and are already finding new technology such as the Palladium chip (this scares me) to turn the tables. Truly the Industry has much at stake here, as they are to become a dinosaur if artist begin to distribute their material directly to the consumer (this has already begun).

Also, If you wish say to that your sharing copyright material does not earn you a profit, well it is clear that KaZaa has made millions in advertising , though legally you cannot connect the two (the pocet book of Kazaa and your sharing). Although I do think having millions of users at the other end of your p2p software clearly defines distribution.

Truly now our Freedom is at stake derived from the necessity of greed in us all. Again from those that Video Cam to those that Crack or to you and I we are all the same, Thieves. How can anyone here truly justify any of this? True, JimF, maybe we should not make criminals of those who share, but then what, a fine? It is a crime and so we are to be treated as we act.

My deepest concerns lay with the DCMA and its apparent interpretation, thus possibly giving holders of copyright material more power than the FBI. I am personally thinking of recording a cd about taking a shit so that via the DCMA I can freely and without a court order invade the blond chicks privacy down the street based on the fact that she may be sharing my copyrighted material (shit). The DCMA is an ugly beast, absurd, and needs to be put to rest or modified. Maybe the law man here, Tide, could suggest what course can, and possibly will be taken to do so. It worries me greatly that at the cost of sharing some files, this ammunition could lead to the loss of some of my freedom and privacy.

7. File Sharing   -   #137
    Fasttracker A
    If you think about it they are chassing the wrong people.

They should have made laws years ago preventing sony pioneer tdk whoever from making the hardware so readily availible ,then this situation wouldnt gotten so out of hand.
    It takes years to get laws passed,they should have started this when the first cd burner hit the market for consumers.
    Now they gotta deal with dvd burners hahahaha

8. File Sharing   -   #138
    Originally posted by nahan@24 April 2003 - 07:34
    If you think about it they are chassing the wrong people.

They should have made laws years ago preventing sony pioneer tdk whoever from making the hardware so readily availible ,then this situation wouldnt gotten so out of hand.
    It takes years to get laws passed,they should have started this when the first cd burner hit the market for consumers.
    Now they gotta deal with dvd burners hahahaha
    How could you though make laws to stop technology.

One item I agree with Jb on is that the industry must redefine themselves or they will become obsolete,
    though it may even be to late.

I will say given the power of foresight they should have gone after Napster on different grounds rather than focusing on it being a centralized system (though I'm not sure what would have set a strike then which would have carried on to now), as now decentralized systems such as KaZaa are a complete phantom to them! Though I guess the statement against a centralized system is the control over (illegal) content. Though again having more forsight they would have been better off keeping Napster alive and implementing the filters a centralized system could offer, and possibly the industry could have even stareted a pay for dl structure back then, thus maybe (probably not) leading us down a different road. Instead they have only managed to create a newer and larger monster that is much more slippery. Which leads me to believe that is why they have given up chasing the ghost of p2p (for the most part, as will come another) and are now focused on campuses, large fish and even you and I the end user via the !@#$%^&*() DCMA, piece of crap.

9. File Sharing   -   #139
    Fasttracker A
    I understand its a hard thing to do but the results would have been much greater.
    Example drug paraphernalia against the law, but it took time to make those laws.
    Cd copiers and the later such should of been kept away from the likes of you and me and the general public not only that software that enables you to make mp3 and personal cds and the general public .At this point it cant be controlled any longer.

10. File Sharing   -   #140
    Originally posted by nahan@24 April 2003 - 09:00
    I understand its a hard thing to do but the results would have been much greater.
    Example drug paraphernalia against the law, but it took time to make those laws.
    Where, I can buy a bong if I wanted to, I just couldn’t mention what I am going to use it for.
    So then I guess I would still be able to buy a cd-r but say it’s for my data.
    This would not have worked as we are talking about technology. Imagine how stifling it would be not even to back up your own data in the namesake of saving the Industry, F**K them. It would NEVER have happened!!!! Besides your talking about an industry that tried to stop Betamax, VHS, DAT, and ohhhh also P2P.... hahahaha.