Page 13 of 16 FirstFirst ... 310111213141516 LastLast

Thread: More Powerful Than The Government?

clocker's Avatar Shovel Ready
    Originally posted by Jibbler@23 April 2003 - 19:33

This could relate to filesharing in the same way. If the "transaction" or "filesharing" occurred in an area where it were legal, then the authorities wouldn't have jurisdiction to stop the crime. Unless of course, this "intellectual property" were stolen in "intellectual land."
    Your complacency is touching.

The internet has proven to be a giant hassle for capitolism and it's response has been slow and scattershot but don't fool yourself. There is too much money at stake for this utopia to remain unfettered.
    Current legislation in Colorado seeks to impose local sales tax on internet sales.
    Internet gaming is a subject that lots of states are trying to restrict.
    These people are not stupid, nor lazy. They have resources.
    They WILL figure out how to bring the digital world into the realm of the corporeal one.
    Your "intellectual land" concept may hold water today (I disagree), but it will wet your pants tomorrow.
    "I am the one who knocks."- Heisenberg

2. File Sharing   -   #122
    Originally posted by Jibbler@22 April 2003 - 22:25
    Instead they are trying to punish the very same people who helped their business go from rags to riches. They used to call this "burning your bridges." Yes, this is a "common sense" approach, because despite all the legalities and logistics, this is how the majority of civilians approach life.
    It is called desperation prior to the moment of extinction,
    Although it also reminds of something I read...
    It doesn't matter if companies get more than their fair share for the sales of commercial CDs and DVDs, and it doesn't matter whether you are outraged that the artists don't get the slice of income they deserve. You may be right beyond all argument. Nevertheless, civil disobedience against a company's greed is not effective when it is expressed through your own greed. The people of the Boston tea party dumped the tea so that nobody could use it. That made a much more powerful statement than if they had stolen the tea. Similarly, if you express your civil disobedience by stealing music, you are simply making it more likely that the system we'll end up with is worse than the one you're complaining about now.
    We are all but THIEVES!!

I currently have a Router because it will block anyone from entering.
    I also have the Privacy Patch on and use Peer Guardian.
    I am curious about using a Bouncer and also using newer file sharing programs with Encryption built in.
    I am currently hiring a local Midget to stand on my cable line and monitor for spOOks 24/7!!
    We are negotiating his fee at the moment.
    Any other suggestions?

HIDE AND HIDE WELL

3. File Sharing   -   #123
    Good try, Jibbler. I take it then that your Shared Folder is offshore someplace?

4. File Sharing   -   #124
    I've just had the opportunity to catch back up on this thread and read JmiF's most waspish retort about my comment on the universality of the way law is taught in the English-speaking lands. To elaborate, when I entered law school, and it's the same today, I did not start out studying American cases. I started by studying the oldest written English cases, since they form the basis of the law in the US, Canada, Australia, New Zealand, etc. All lads starting law school in those lands start the same way. For the first year, that's all I studied. I would think that JmiF, apparently not knowing this, would find it flattering. Rather, he finds it arrogant??? Well, go figure. Anyway, these priniciples - adverse possesion of land, conversion of tangible and intangible property, and the like, are universal in the common law lands (countries taking the origin of their laws from Great Britain) - whether JmiF thinks they are or not.

5. File Sharing   -   #125
    Jibbler's Avatar proud member of MDS
    Originally posted by TIDE-HSV@23 April 2003 - 21:20
    Good try, Jibbler. I take it then that your Shared Folder is offshore someplace?
    I wish it were, but alas, I'm an American. I don't use peer guardian, nor do I use the privacy patch. I've been sharing files for almost 10 years, with no end in sight. I'm just pointing out some of the many "exploits" of the internet, and how weird things seem to get when it comes to the courtroom. We are all swimming in uncharted water. Sure there is an occasional shark, but mostly, we're safe.
    Proud member of MDS

6. File Sharing   -   #126
    Our problem is that the RIAA and MPAA are right here in the country with us. I do think they will continue to rachet up the pressure on the broadband ISPs. Comcast has decided to cave, and they are the biggest. I applaude Verizon's pluck in resisting. It'll be interesting to see how that comes out. Meanwhile, they'll continued to push the soft and hardware solutions also. Maybe we'll still find a way. Our brethren overseas aren't as safe as they think, certainly not those in Europe. It's going to be interesting to watch.

7. File Sharing   -   #127
    clocker's Avatar Shovel Ready
    Originally posted by Jibbler+23 April 2003 - 20:30--></span><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (Jibbler @ 23 April 2003 - 20:30)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin--TIDE-HSV@23 April 2003 - 21:20
    Good try, Jibbler.&nbsp; &nbsp; I take it then that your Shared Folder is offshore someplace?
    I wish it were, but alas, I&#39;m an American. I don&#39;t use peer guardian, nor do I use the privacy patch. I&#39;ve been sharing files for almost 10 years, with no end in sight. I&#39;m just pointing out some of the many "exploits" of the internet, and how weird things seem to get when it comes to the courtroom. We are all swimming in uncharted water. Sure there is an occasional shark, but mostly, we&#39;re safe. [/b][/quote]
    Haven&#39;t you noticed that lately the birthrate of the sharks seems to have risen?
    "I am the one who knocks."- Heisenberg

8. File Sharing   -   #128
    Originally posted by clocker+23 April 2003 - 21:41--></span><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (clocker @ 23 April 2003 - 21:41)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'>
    Originally posted by -Jibbler@23 April 2003 - 20:30
    <!--QuoteBegin--TIDE-HSV
    @23 April 2003 - 21:20
    Good try, Jibbler. &nbsp; I take it then that your Shared Folder is offshore someplace?

I wish it were, but alas, I&#39;m an American. I don&#39;t use peer guardian, nor do I use the privacy patch. I&#39;ve been sharing files for almost 10 years, with no end in sight. I&#39;m just pointing out some of the many "exploits" of the internet, and how weird things seem to get when it comes to the courtroom. We are all swimming in uncharted water. Sure there is an occasional shark, but mostly, we&#39;re safe.
    Haven&#39;t you noticed that lately the birthrate of the sharks seems to have risen? [/b][/quote]
    The smell of blood is attracting more sharks. This can&#39;t be good. Good thing more people are taking up swimming by the day. B)
    Proud member of MDS

9. File Sharing   -   #129
    Originally posted by TIDE-HSV@23 April 2003 - 21:39
    Our problem is that the RIAA and MPAA are right here in the country with us. I do think they will continue to rachet up the pressure on the broadband ISPs. Comcast has decided to cave, and they are the biggest. I applaude Verizon&#39;s pluck in resisting. It&#39;ll be interesting to see how that comes out.
    I said it once before. Verizon is just big enough to bring this entire controvery to an abrupt end. Just yesterday, CNN reported that the Justice Dept was backing the RIAA in its case against Verizon. This court case is still pending, but it will probably be the one that changes the industry.
    Proud member of MDS

10. File Sharing   -   #130
    Let&#39;s keep our fingers crossed. Our present Supreme Court would favor the RIAA, 5-4.