Your Ad Here Your Ad Here
Results 1 to 6 of 6

Thread: Advatage of buying a DVD boxset?

  1. #1
    SeK612's Avatar Poster BT Rep: +10BT Rep +10
    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Location
    UK
    Posts
    739
    DVD prices do appear to be coming down but are still around the 20+ mark for a season of a TV show like Smallville or Lost.

    I don't know a massive amount about such DVD's and my question is are they worth spending on?

    For the most part public seeding of series tend to be TV Rips. Aside from watermarks and a lack of extra features (such as a nice menu, scene selection and commentries) what would be the difference between a TV-Rip and a bought DVD?

    Occasionally it's possible to also find a DVD clone which can be downloaded which consists of all the files on the bought DVD. Is this more superior than downloading TV-Rips and enough so to encourage always to look for full DVD clones before considering the TV-Rip equivalent.

  2. Movies & TV   -   #2
    Darth Sushi's Avatar Sushi Lord
    Join Date
    Sep 2002
    Location
    Corisant
    Posts
    5,813
    Why don't you just rent the DVDs and rip & make copies for yourself. It cost me about $1.10 per disc to rent plus about $0.50 per blank media, which includes other things like printer ink, dvd cases, etc. Smallville retails for about $60.00 per box set (You can find it online for about $45.00). Renting and ripping cost me less than $10.00 per set and I get all of the extras without the watermarks! I currently have all four seasons of Smallville, which is still less than the cost of one season of the retail version.

  3. Movies & TV   -   #3
    Busyman's Avatar Use Logic Or STFU!!!
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    Washington D.C.
    Posts
    13,839
    Quote Originally Posted by Darth Sushi
    Why don't you just rent the DVDs and rip & make copies for yourself. It cost me about $1.10 per disc to rent plus about $0.50 per blank media, which includes other things like printer ink, dvd cases, etc. Smallville retails for about $60.00 per box set (You can find it online for about $45.00). Renting and ripping cost me less than $10.00 per set and I get all of the extras without the watermarks! I currently have all four seasons of Smallville, which is still less than the cost of one season of the retail version.
    Certain TV box sets I will buy.

    I never buy movies.

    Usually a movie will give you 2 hours + extras of viewing for about $17-$20.

    A TV box set like 24 gives you about 21 hours of viewing for about $50.

    I rent box sets when I can find them but each rental is about $4 per disc.
    I'm trying to curb buying anything actually.
    Hollywood is trying milk DVD really hard right now and not play their hi-def disc card too early.

    I think DVD only has 1 to 2 years left of robust sales.
    Silly bitch, your weapons cannot harm me. Don't you know who I am? I'm the Juggernaut, Bitchhhh!

    Flies Like An Arrow, Flies Like An Apple
    ---12323---4552-----
    2133--STRENGTH--8310
    344---5--5301---3232

  4. Movies & TV   -   #4
    mr. nails's Avatar m@D @n!m3 BT Rep: +1
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    austin, tx
    Posts
    3,588
    i only buy certain movies myself. mostly some anime "movies" and sci-fi films. i usually just dl the avi then convert to vob files then burn to dvd. renting movies still cost to much for me...
    Alamo Drafthouse!

    Last Game Completed: Aliens: Colonial Marines (PC) 10-13-13
    Now Playing: Paper Mario 64
    Total Games Completed: 503

  5. Movies & TV   -   #5
    Darth Sushi's Avatar Sushi Lord
    Join Date
    Sep 2002
    Location
    Corisant
    Posts
    5,813
    Quote Originally Posted by mr. nails
    i only buy certain movies myself. mostly some anime "movies" and sci-fi films. i usually just dl the avi then convert to vob files then burn to dvd. renting movies still cost to much for me...
    I guess I'm lucky here. We have a rental store that offers unlimited rentals (2-at-a-time) for $25.00 a month, which includes new releases.

  6. Movies & TV   -   #6
    Busyman's Avatar Use Logic Or STFU!!!
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    Washington D.C.
    Posts
    13,839
    Quote Originally Posted by Darth Sushi
    Quote Originally Posted by mr. nails
    i only buy certain movies myself. mostly some anime "movies" and sci-fi films. i usually just dl the avi then convert to vob files then burn to dvd. renting movies still cost to much for me...
    I guess I'm lucky here. We have a rental store that offers unlimited rentals (2-at-a-time) for $25.00 a month, which includes new releases.
    Yeah Blockbuster has that too. I just never bothered. I already have the Game Pass but I'm just pillaging for a month and then it's cut-off time.

    I just got HL2 today for Xbox.
    Silly bitch, your weapons cannot harm me. Don't you know who I am? I'm the Juggernaut, Bitchhhh!

    Flies Like An Arrow, Flies Like An Apple
    ---12323---4552-----
    2133--STRENGTH--8310
    344---5--5301---3232

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •