View Poll Results: How often do you reinstall windows?

Voters
70. You may not vote on this poll
  • weekly

1 1.43%
  • bi-weekly

0 0%
  • monthly

3 4.29%
  • 2 months (bi-monthly?)

6 8.57%
  • 3 months

7 10.00%
  • half-year

22 31.43%
  • 1 year

16 22.86%
  • NEVER

12 17.14%
  • I use a Mac Biatch!

0 0%
  • Windows? RE...install?

3 4.29%
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: How often do you reinstall windows?

Tempestv's Avatar Engineer
    I have my file system set up with partitions and such, so that it takes a 1/2 hour to reload, if it looks like i am going to spend more than that time trying to fix a problem, I start over. I got my computer three weeks ago, already loaded windows twice (once after building it, once after accedently corrupting the file system while overclocking), going to do it again tonight because I have some virus I have something using my connection that I can't seem to find. already spent two hours trying to track it down so that I know what it is if I ever see it again, not worth the trouble.

2. Software & Hardware   -   #22
    Filliz's Avatar ______________
    When it crashes.

hmm...asspie

3. Software & Hardware   -   #23
    Mr. Mulder's Avatar pepper your angus BT Rep: +10BT Rep +10
    Fairly often, I've been doing puter courses on and off for a couple of years now which often require you to arse about with OS's and formatting/partitioning etc. Only got the one machine up and running atm with just one HD installed.

Very lazy when it comes to backing stuff up so no end of stuff gets lost at random

4. Software & Hardware   -   #24
    Backups using drive imaging software and virtual machines save a lot of boring windows installs.

A few times a year I restore an image of a fresh windows install and try out lots of software that I'v downloaded or got on CD with a magazine. Sometimes it gets to the point that leaving it idle for ten minutes then moving the mouse results in three pop up adverts. I learned to be circumspect about installing stuff from magazine CD's about thirteen years ago. Even now installing everything from a magazine CD usually results in the computer not booting.

I sometimes unplug the machine from the net and click on email attachments to simulate giving a PC to an idiot. Needless to say I write zero's over the whole drive before plugging the network in.
    Last edited by zaphodiv; 02-17-2006 at 07:53 PM.
    "I went over to a friend's house the other day. He was having problems with his computer and he asked me to look at it, and I realized he had Windows Me and it's like, oh no—that's your first problem."-Michael Dell, founder and CEO of Dell.

5. Software & Hardware   -   #25
    peat moss's Avatar Software Farmer BT Rep: +15BT Rep +15BT Rep +15
    I like trying new software and run it to some problems so about once every two months , keeps me fresh . I have three children sharing this computer so thats probably why its more often than others.
    Last edited by peat moss; 02-17-2006 at 06:37 PM.

6. Software & Hardware   -   #26
    My reinstalls depend on when I get unremoveable viruses...
    Sometimes a year, sometimes 3 months.

7. Software & Hardware   -   #27
    erRor67's Avatar Lord Of Everything
    I reinstall Windows about twice/three times a year just to start over and have a clean system again. I keep my system pretty well maintained but its always good just to start from a clean slate again..

I use nLite as well as other tools to create a custom XP SP2 install disk.
    blah blah blah... whatever...

8. Software & Hardware   -   #28
    everyone 6 months

9. Software & Hardware   -   #29
    Afronaut's Avatar Xenu
    About 6 month seems to be the limit,
    but thats with runnin as Admin and installing/uninstalling stuff alot,
    tweaking etc.

Use to be more often but running a "TestPC" in software like VMWare helps a lot.

Spoiler: Show

10. Software & Hardware   -   #30
    about once a month. nice to end up with a fresh clean machine. like taking a shower :-)

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast