Thread: Installed Sceond NIC And Only One Works At A Time

I just installed a second NIC to FTP to an XBOX and noticed when the new nic is enabled my net dosent work. When I disable the NIC in Network Settings I get net back. I have the first NIC set to static IP .2 and when and the new one at .5 now. Cant figure why I can have them both enabled at the same time though...

2. Software & Hardware   -   #2
    fkdup74's Avatar Pneuberator.
    are they brigded? :shotinthedark:

I have run multiple NICs before
    and Windows, just being Windows, will install a bridge by default sometimes I think
    at any rate, I've always ran mine un-bridged and had no problems
    Last edited by fkdup74; 12-29-2005 at 06:42 PM.

3. Software & Hardware   -   #3
    lynx's Avatar .
    I'll assume the first part (probably 192.168.0) is the same on both NICs.

That's your problem. The first part is the network identifier, the last part is the ID of the NIC within it's network. You can't give them the same network identifier if they are physically separate networks. And if they are not physically separate there's little point in having more than one NIC.
    Net___192.168.0.x___ PC ___192.168.1.x___ Xbox

Bridged NICs count as the same physical network, but you wouldn't be able to give both cards separate IP addresses so that can't be the situation here.

If you sometimes connect your Xbox to the net then you've got a problem since sometimes it will need the same address as the net, and sometimes the same as your second NIC. The solution to THAT problem would be to bridge the NICs, since the bridged network gets an ID not each separate NIC.
    Net___192.168.0.x___ Bridge ___192.168.0.x___ Xbox
    Political correctness is based on the principle that it's possible to pick up a turd by the clean end.

4. Software & Hardware   -   #4
    Thanks for the post as it worked as in the first example although since I would have to switch back and forth when wanting net for the xbox I decided to use my router with 0.x on both since having dual nics is more trouble than its worth. I left the crossover cable on the second nic since it would be faster for large files being connected directly to the xbox I think and can have net disabled during those times...
    Last edited by RealitY; 12-31-2005 at 03:18 AM.

5. Software & Hardware   -   #5
    lynx's Avatar .
    If you bridge the lan cards in your pc, as in the second diagram, then both NICs work with the same ip address. Make sure the properties of both NICs are set to obtain an ip address automatically, then create a bridge. Once you've created a bridge you can set the properties of the bridged network to have a static address if you wish.

Your Xbox can then have a permanent .0.x address. The only drawback with this is that your pc has to be on to give your Xbox access to the net, or you need to swap cables about, but if like me your pc is always on then you have permanent access.
    Political correctness is based on the principle that it's possible to pick up a turd by the clean end.