Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: America's Pastime

Fasttracker A
    To a nation that obiously didnt invent dentistry ,

For people in England that invented the english language.
    Why do you all speak it so poorly ?

From an obese nation that would kick your ass

2. Lounge   -   #22
    clocker's Avatar Shovel Ready
    Originally posted by nahan@22 April 2003 - 01:13
    See thats where I think you guys have missed the idea baseball is a different type of game,its all about anticipation.

At any moment one great hit or play or pitch is what makes it so good.

You've hit the nail right on the head!

That's why I soooo enjoy acorn watching.
    At any moment it could gr.......
    "I am the one who knocks."- Heisenberg

3. Lounge   -   #23
    Poster
    Ian Botham (a famous cricketer and mentalist) had a go at the baseball thing. He said the only real problem with it was that the ball travelled too slow when it was thrown.

Regarding football (american style) I actually like that and go to see it with son number 2 sometimes. Claymores at Hampden Park. However if you want to see a real hard game, watch rugby league. They really hit each other and the play is non-stop, or very near to it.

My favourite sport to watch is football (soccer as my american friends would call it).

Bottom line, if I were to pick an American sport to watch it would be football.

PS I like Oakland, however they wear LA Raider shirts so thats confusing.

PPS I though you would like hockey MW, being a Canadian and all that.

4. Lounge   -   #24
    Can I put in a vote for bicycling - Tour de France in particular? I'm a football fan - American and non-American. (Look at my nick, Yanks). However, I follow the Tour much more avidly than the Superbowl.

5. Lounge   -   #25
    Originally posted by clocker+22 April 2003 - 22:10--></span><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (clocker @ 22 April 2003 - 22:10)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin--nahan@22 April 2003 - 01:13
    See thats where I think you guys have missed the idea baseball is a different type of game,its all about anticipation.

You&#39;ve hit the nail right on the head&#33;

That&#39;s why I soooo enjoy acorn watching.
    At any moment it could gr....... [/b][/quote]

I agree, Cricket is the same. It&#39;s ALL about anticipation and tactics. Baseball over Gridiron every day of the week. I enjoyed playing Baseball at school as it was one of the few games I was any good at&#33;&#33; I was school captain at Synchronised Drinking and Smoking Weed though&#33;&#33; It was an honour.
    Signature removed

6. Lounge   -   #26
    j2k4's Avatar en(un)lightened
    Originally posted by TIDE-HSV@22 April 2003 - 16:39
    Can I put in a vote for bicycling - Tour de France in particular? I&#39;m a football fan - American and non-American. (Look at my nick, Yanks). However, I follow the Tour much more avidly than the Superbowl.
    I have the utmost respect for Mr. Armstrong&#33;
    Having done my share of cycling, I can imagine nothing more dispiriting than being passed on an uphill in the Tour de France and left for dead. There is a crushing finality, even on T.V.
    "Researchers have already cast much darkness on the subject, and if they continue their investigations, we shall soon know nothing at all about it."

-Mark Twain

7. Lounge   -   #27
    I was a regular commuter on bike for years. I blew a left ACL playing basketball in &#39;96, and the orthos ended my climbing career. Before that, every day included a 7 mile, 1200&#39; drop down into town and back up.

8. Lounge   -   #28
    j2k4's Avatar en(un)lightened
    Originally posted by TIDE-HSV@22 April 2003 - 23:26
    I was a regular commuter on bike for years. I blew a left ACL playing basketball in &#39;96, and the orthos ended my climbing career. Before that, every day included a 7 mile, 1200&#39; drop down into town and back up.
    Wow-the climbs are killers.
    I did 50 miles a day for four years back in the day-my knees are shot.
    Congenital cruciate insufficiency leading to ACL, MCL, and, believe it or not, PCL tears in both knees-football, basketball, dirtbike-7 surgeries. I play a wicked game of catch these days, but that&#39;s it.
    My wife thinks my legs look good, though, so that&#39;s something.... B)
    "Researchers have already cast much darkness on the subject, and if they continue their investigations, we shall soon know nothing at all about it."

-Mark Twain

9. Lounge   -   #29
    Fasttracker A
    Originally posted by soopaman+22 April 2003 - 23:52--></span><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (soopaman @ 22 April 2003 - 23:52)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'>
    Originally posted by -clocker@22 April 2003 - 22:10
    <!--QuoteBegin--nahan
    @22 April 2003 - 01:13

You&#39;ve hit the nail right on the head&#33;

That&#39;s why I soooo enjoy acorn watching.
    At any moment it could gr.......
    I agree, Cricket is the same. It&#39;s ALL about anticipation and tactics. Baseball over Gridiron every day of the week. I enjoyed playing Baseball at school as it was one of the few games I was any good at&#33;&#33; I was school captain at Synchronised Drinking and Smoking Weed though&#33;&#33; It was an honour. [/b][/quote]
    Hey soopaman its nice to see we agree on something

10. Lounge   -   #30
    RollUrOwn's Avatar Poster
    Football is great, but baseball is my passion

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast