Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: win xp home edition

can anybody help me on a step by step process of doing an upgradeform wun me to windows xp

2. Software & Hardware   -   #12
    harrycary's Avatar Poster
    Other then your lack of memory, you'll have no problems "upgrading" to WinXP. Just borrow someone's copy of Win98 or ME to use when installing XP.
    Microsoft uses them to verify you already have a copy of their O/S. During the install, you will be asked to insert the Win98 or ME disc to verify this. No data is taken from it.

btw, I upgraded an old Compaq Presario(circa 1999) running Win98 and had no problems installing XP on it. Of course, I did borrow a friends full '98 disc and not the crappy restore disc that came with it.

good luck with it.

3. Software & Hardware   -   #13
    so if i borrow my friends win me cd i could use it even though its not the same one i that came with my pc?

4. Software & Hardware   -   #14
    Mïcrösöül°V³'s Avatar Hammer Smashed Face
    Quote Originally Posted by johnq86
    so if i borrow my friends win me cd i could use it even though its not the same one i that came with my pc?
    yes, as long as its a full retail copy, not a oem disc (like dell or gateway) they dont seem to work.

5. Software & Hardware   -   #15
    can someone please pm me with a verified win me?

6. Software & Hardware   -   #16
    erRor67's Avatar Lord Of Everything
    If ur going to use Windows XP, NEVER upgrade! Its best to do a full instalation rather than an upgrade (from ME, etc etc). Upgrading leads to lag, and tons of problems. Back up all your personal files then format your harddrive and install Windows XP. Upgrading is NOT the way to go.

EDIT: Also, Windows ME is a bad OS. Dump it.
    blah blah blah... whatever...

7. Software & Hardware   -   #17
    Virtualbody1234's Avatar Forum Star BT Rep: +2
    Quote Originally Posted by johnq86
    can someone please pm me with a verified win me?
    So you're willing to download Windows ME so that you can purchase an upgrade version of Windows XP home??? Why don't you just download Windows XP Pro?

8. Software & Hardware   -   #18
    zapjb's Avatar Computer Abuser BT Rep: +3
    Corp or VLK only.

9. Software & Hardware   -   #19
    Poster BT Rep: +5
    Personally i would stick with ME if i was you, considering you have an old pc and with only 128mb ram. pc booting up time wiil be alot faster using ME and you pc wont struggle as much when you have a few programs open at same time. i have two pcs and have kept with MEe on my old pentium 1gig pc.

10. Software & Hardware   -   #20
    Mïcrösöül°V³'s Avatar Hammer Smashed Face
    Quote Originally Posted by shazzar
    Personally i would stick with ME if i was you, considering you have an old pc and with only 128mb ram. pc booting up time wiil be alot faster using ME and you pc wont struggle as much when you have a few programs open at same time. i have two pcs and have kept with MEe on my old pentium 1gig pc.
    hed be better of with win98. ME is not stable in 90% of the cases Ive seen (some will say 100%, but I dont want to offend anyone who still uses it and has it actually working )

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast