Page 2 of 15 FirstFirst 1234512 ... LastLast

Thread: Downloading The Fast Way

May be our problem here but doa2.host.sk is down.

Paul, u said we can store kazaa's users in the download file up to 150 users. But i viewed my downloads with datview and it only shows 60 users stored. Can u explain it to me? Thx.

2. File Sharing   -   #12
    Sorry all, my bad. The numbers of users stored still keep increasing, not stopped at 60 users.

3. File Sharing   -   #13
    @Paul: You wrote mother of all tips. It really sounds nice, but I always thought having 120 sources stored is better that 30 - 40. By my experience that is what you get (on average) after 5 minutes searching. Shouldn't I keep searching lets say for another couple of minutes to fill my usable sources to arround 120?

Edit: typos.

4. File Sharing   -   #14
    Forum Star
    Originally posted by Neuromancer@4 May 2003 - 12:30
    @Paul: You wrote mother of all tips. It really sounds nice, but I always thought having 120 sources stored is better that 30 - 40. By my experience that is what you get (on average) after 5 minutes searching. Shouldn't I keep searching lets say for another couple of minutes to fill my usable sources to arround 120?

Edit: typos.
    Read my tip again.

I think you skipped a part...

5. File Sharing   -   #15
    I read it thouroughly. I just wrote my question less splendid.

You write: "Stop searching when you have 10 or more sources." and then "Search for another minute or less. Two minutes for rare files. Searching longer doesn't help much, trust me."

I tried to ask wouldn't it be better to to finish the first part of searching "when you have 10 to 30 sources" and then search again until "one can (via K-Dat for example) confirm one has arround 150 sources"? Wouldn't be that even more efficient? Perhaps an added plus would be if you could easily replace lower bandwidth sources with broadband one?

6. File Sharing   -   #16
    well said Neuromancer

7. File Sharing   -   #17
    nice tip 2 thumbs up

8. File Sharing   -   #18
    Your tip was awesome! I am hitting speeds between 95 and 103 kb/s!

9. File Sharing   -   #19
    killallhippies's Avatar Poster
    I agree, excellent tip, I've been using Kazaa for ages and that tip has just rocketed my dl! Those of you who are confused by it.........read it again slooooooooooooooowly.

10. File Sharing   -   #20
    Originally posted by Paul@21 April 2003 - 10:46
    Sig2Dat

Searching

Start a search. A single search (no AutoSearchMore) is enough if the file is popular. For more rare files do a couple of manual 'search more'. Stop searching when you have 10 or more sources. The reason why you shouldn't search until you get a lot of results will follow shortly.

Now start the download.

After that continue searching for the same file. This time you can enable AutoSearchMore if you want. Search for another minute or less. Two minutes for rare files. Searching longer doesn't help much, trust me.

You will notice that the download speeds are much higher now.

But why didn't we initially search until we had hundreds of results? Well, only a maximum of 30 sources is stored in the .dat file when you start a download. But once the download is started, an additional 120 sources can be added (150 total). That's why we continued searching after starting the download.

Finding more sources for active downloads

If you have a couple of big downloads that are downloading at snail pace, then it can help to find additional sources. Tools like Speed Up are good for that purpose. But sometimes it can also help to use the powers of ASM to give your downloads a boost.

Go to the seach panel and search for the same file as the one that you want to try to give a boost. Turn AutoSearchMore on. Search for a minute or less.
    sounds great, but I cannot find any such feature of autosearchmore to turn on or off. Where can I find it?

Page 2 of 15 FirstFirst 1234512 ... LastLast