Thread: External Usb Hard Drives.

Hi all, I am fast running out of hard drive space (blame it on kazaa) and was thinking of getting an external drive instead of sodding about with internals.
    I know they are 3 X dearer, question is are they worth it ? Cheers.

2. Software & Hardware   -   #2
    Ex-member
    They're slower too...

Just go with an internal, they're very easy to fit once you know how.
    Check the tutorial which is pinned at the top of this forum.

3. Software & Hardware   -   #3
    Poster
    they're horribly slow ... even if you use USB 2.0/firewire connection ...

IMHO, their only advantage is when :
    1. you've run out of IDE connecotrs
    2. your drive bay is full (very unlikely unless yopu have one of those mini computers)
    3. you wanna bring the the hdd to my house so i can copy the stuff you download off kazaa

4. Software & Hardware   -   #4
    stoi's Avatar BCG Owner BT Rep: +45BT Rep +45BT Rep +45BT Rep +45BT Rep +45BT Rep +45BT Rep +45BT Rep +45BT Rep +45
    OK, i was going to make a new thread about this but i might as well put it in here.

I have a Sony Vaio Laptop, 12gig internal hdd. ive just bought an external cdrw for £100, a hefty chunk i know, and i was wondering if it is possible to buy a bigger internal hdd and if so what size would i have to look out for 2.5" and 3.5" mean nothing to me. and what sort of prices would i be looking at for say a 40gig one or bigger.

Also, would it be cheaper to buy an external Ilink one or the internal laptop one, if indeed it is possible to buy an internal laptop hdd, as i know i cant get a new video card without buying a new motherboard and cpu as well.

thanx for your help in advance.

stoi

PS: im in the uk as well so only prices in £ please.

5. Software & Hardware   -   #5
    USB is a low bandwidth connection... suitable mostly for scanners, printers, mice, joysticks, etc. devices which do not transfer large amounts of data. portable audio/video recorders and players, and hard drives, just do not perform well with USB because they need a lot more bandwidth.

if you really need to get an external hard drive, go with FireWire or USB 2.0... they're designed to handle much larger amounts of data.

6. Software & Hardware   -   #6
    Originally posted by 3RA1N1AC@24 April 2003 - 01:38
    USB is a low bandwidth connection... suitable mostly for scanners, printers, mice, joysticks, etc. devices which do not transfer large amounts of data. portable audio/video recorders and players, and hard drives, just do not perform well with USB because they need a lot more bandwidth.

if you really need to get an external hard drive, go with FireWire or USB 2.0... they're designed to handle much larger amounts of data.
    I have to agree with him. USB ports are pieces of shit. nuff said.

7. Software & Hardware   -   #7
    Thanks all, I'll save myself 150 quid and get myself an internal, (drive, that is).