Thread: My computer slows when I use p2p's

Hi Guys

I have a failry powerful computer and used to be able to do work in Windows Explorer whilst downloading files from say Ares or Limewire.

But lalety I find that Explorer goes so slow that it takes about 30 seconds to rename a file ! And it often comes up with the torch trying to find the files in a folder !

It seems to be random as sometimes my Explorer goes at normal speeds whilst downloading.

Any ideas ?

I use virus checkers and anti-spywares etc. In ME I used to be able to check my system resources but can't find out how to do this in XP.

Also I often read in forums from users who say they do not like such and such program because it hogs their resources. How do they know how much resources a program takes up ?

Regards

Digby
    NZ

2. Software & Hardware   -   #2
    manker's Avatar effendi
    Alt, ctrl and delete > click processes tab to find out how much resources your programs are using.

As you say, it could be that one of your applications is in fact using up a large proportion of your ram. Lately, I'm finding that Firefox 1.5 is hogging a shitload of mine if I've had it open for a while
    I plan on beating him to death with his kids. I'll use them as a bludgeon on his face. -

--Good for them if they survive.

3. Software & Hardware   -   #3
    Poster BT Rep: +5
    You may want to also defragment your hardrive and remove any junk files.

4. Software & Hardware   -   #4
    Hi Guys,

Thanks for that.

Sill me I used Ctrl Alt Del for years in Dos and ME, but never once in XP till you suggested it. Just what I wanted.

Regards
    Digby

5. Software & Hardware   -   #5
    harrycary's Avatar Poster
    Might want to check the P2P client you are using. It may be "Ad Supported" and eating up you bandwidth and/or stealing clock-cycles from your processor.

In other words, that "free program" displays Ads or Pop-ups and uses your PC's resources(e.g. processor, hardrive) without your knowledge.

my .02¢
    Last edited by harrycary; 01-14-2006 at 12:52 AM.

6. Software & Hardware   -   #6
    enoughfakefiles's Avatar Ad ministrator
    Quote Originally Posted by manker
    Lately, I'm finding that Firefox 1.5 is hogging a shitload of mine if I've had it open for a while
    I've been having this problem latley with firefox. I'm led to believe it's a problem with firefox not freeing up memory. It sometimes uses up over 3/5's of my ram after a while. The only solution i've found so far it to re-start firefox every so often

7. Software & Hardware   -   #7
    zapjb's Avatar Computer Abuser BT Rep: +3
    I 2nd the suggestion to defrag.

8. Software & Hardware   -   #8
    Thanks guys.

I have nto had the propblem for a week now. But when it comes up I will be able to use Ctrl Alt Del to see what process is using up all my rescources.

I defrag once a month.

Thanks guys
    Regards
    Digby

9. Software & Hardware   -   #9
    4play's Avatar knob jockey
    im guessing its limewire it really chews through my ram when left running for too long.

feckin java