Thread: #1 NFL Draft Pick?.......

Busyman's Avatar Use Logic Or STFU!!!
    Vince Young?

With a national championship, a litany of school records and one spectacular Rose Bowl performance, Vince Young figures he's done all he can at the college level.

So, the Texas quarterback is going to the NFL.

Young announced Sunday he'll skip his senior season to enter the NFL draft, taking the leap many expected after leading the Longhorns to a 41-38 victory over Southern California for Texas' first national title in 36 years.

Young maintained during the season that he would to return for his senior year, but said his Rose Bowl performance put him "over the top."

With a career 30-2 record as a starter, Young is Texas' career leader in total offense (9,167 yards), touchdowns (81) and rushing touchdowns by a quarterback (37).

This season, he became the only player in NCAA history to pass for 3,000 yards (3,036) and rush for 1,000 (1,050) in one season. His 4,086 total yards set a school single-season record.

Young won the Davey O'Brien Award for the nation's best quarterback and the Maxwell Award for the top college football player, but came in second behind USC running back Reggie Bush in the Heisman Trophy voting.

Gil Brandt, longtime Dallas Cowboys personnel director and current NFL.com draft analyst, called Young a likely top five pick but said he thought Young should have stayed at Texas another year.

"He is very, very similar to Randall Cunningham," Brandt said. "Had he waited, he probably would've been a better player. All quarterbacks get better with the more experience they get. Going from college football to the NFL is about like going from eighth grade to being a graduate student at MIT."

Although Young has been criticized by analysts for his sidearm throwing motion, Brandt said the most important factor is Young's winning record. Young was the highest rated passer in college last season.

"He has a bottom-line of 30-2. Bobby Layne and Sonny Jurgenson didn't have perfect deliveries either, but they're in the Hall of Fame," Brandt said.

Young is the first Texas player to leave early for the NFL in coach Mack Brown's eight seasons.

Brown, who was at the American Football Coaches Association annual convention and didn't attend the news conference, said he met with Young on Sunday morning and supports the decision.

"We'll miss him, but want him to do as well in the NFL as he did in college. I expect all of the Texas fans to be happy and supportive of Vince," Brown said. "He has done great things for our program."

Young said he talked over his decision with his family and that some of his advisers told him to stay at Texas to finish his degree. Considering the deadline for declaring for the draft is Jan. 15, it was clear his mind was already made up. The ultimate decision was his, Young said.

"It took a lot of praying, listening, understanding and knowing that the day was going to come," said Felicia Young, who attended her son's news conference. "Everything is all right. This is great."

Asked how he might spend some of the millions of dollars he'll earn as an NFL player, Young said, "It all depends on mama."

Young's departure leaves a gaping hole in the offense to fill if Texas is to defend its title.
    Last edited by Busyman; 01-09-2006 at 02:55 PM.
    Silly bitch, your weapons cannot harm me. Don't you know who I am? I'm the Juggernaut, Bitchhhh!

Flies Like An Arrow, Flies Like An Apple
    ---12323---4552-----
    2133--STRENGTH--8310
    344---5--5301---3232

2. Sports Club   -   #2
    On a different note.............

Virginia Tech quarterback Marcus Vick was dismissed from the team Friday, the result of numerous legal transgressions and his unsportsmanlike conduct in the Gator Bowl.

University president Charles Steger announced the dismissal on the same day that coach Frank Beamer met with Vick and his mother in their Hampton Roads home, the school said in a statement. Beamer informed them of the decision during the meeting.

Vick, the younger brother of Atlanta Falcons quarterback Michael Vick, was suspended from school in 2004 for several legal problems. The junior came under new and intense scrutiny this week after replays showed he stomped on the left calf of Louisville All-American defensive end Elvis Dumervil during the Jan. 2 bowl.

No penalty was called on the play and Vick claimed its was accidental. He further hurt his cause by claiming to have apologized to Dumervil, the NCAA sacks leader, but the Louisville player said no such apology was ever offered.

On Friday, it was revealed that Vick had been stopped for speeding and driving with a revoked or suspended license in Hampton on Dec. 17, Cpl. James West said. Vick's license had been taken away in August 2004 when he was cited for reckless driving and marijuana possession in New Kent County.

Steger suspended Vick from school at that time, and warned that any additional problems would effectively end his time as a member of the Hokies' football team.

"The university provided one last opportunity for Vick to become a citizen of the university and readmitted him in January 2005, with the proviso that any future problems would result in automatic dismissal from the team," Steger said Friday.

Beamer said in a statement that he was disappointed with the outcome. "We wanted what's best for this football team and Marcus," he said. "I certainly wish him the best."

School officials said in a statement that there would be no further comment until a news conference Saturday. Beamer, Steger and athletic director Jim Weaver, who said the stomping embarrassed the university, were all expected to attend.

A telephone message left on Vick's cell phone was not immediately returned Friday, and his mother, Brenda Boddie, has an unlisted phone number.

Vick said before the Hokies' 35-24 comeback victory in the Gator Bowl that he planned to return for his senior season. Now, his choices are to declare for the NFL Draft by the Jan. 15 deadline or transfer to a Division I-AA school so he can play next season.

The Virginian-Pilot of Norfolk reported on its Web site on Friday night that Vick would turn pro.

"It's not a big deal," Vick was quoted as telling the newspaper. "I'll just move on to the next level, baby."

Vick entered this season knowing he would face hostility from opposing fans, mostly stemming from his drug arrest and another for serving alcohol to underage girls during the 2003 school year.

He said he was ready for it, but reacted to chants of "rapist" and "child molester" at West Virginia on Oct. 1 by making an obscene gesture in the direction of the crowd. He met with Beamer following that incident and apologized to the team.

In the ACC championship game against Florida State, he drew an unsportsmanlike conduct flag for spiking the ball after a touchdown run with the Hokies trailing, and following the 27-22 loss, walked by reporters after the game without commenting, saying he didn't have to.

He finished that game 26-for-52 for 335 yards with one interception and a fumble near his goal line that teammate Duane Brown recovered. Vick threw one scoring pass and ran for two more touchdowns, but also was sacked six times for minus-35 yards.

On the field, he was often dazzling, but sometimes tried to do too much.

The Hokies started 8-0 and were No. 3 in the polls when they hosted Miami on Nov. 5. But Vick threw two interceptions and fumbled the ball away four times in a 27-7 loss.

This season, he was runner-up to Wake Forest's Chris Barclay as the conference's offensive player of the year, and was voted the first team quarterback on the all-conference team.

In 24 career games, the last 13 starts, Vick was 207-for-346 for 2,868 yards, 19 touchdowns and 15 interceptions. He also rushed 184 times for 492 yards and six TDs.
    Silly bitch, your weapons cannot harm me. Don't you know who I am? I'm the Juggernaut, Bitchhhh!

---12323---4552-----
    2133--STRENGTH--8310
    344---5--5301---3232

3. Sports Club   -   #3
    BigBank_Hank's Avatar Move It On Over
    I think that the Texans or going to go Reggie Bush with the number 1 pick. I really don’t think that they are ready to give up on David Carr yet because he really hasn’t had a chance with that terrible O line that the Texans have. They also have a young tail back in Toefield but he isn’t near the caliber back that Bush is.

Then there’s the Saints who have the second pick. Everyone around here is hoping that they go with Leinart or Young because they need a QB desperately. I really like Leinart over Young because he is more of a pocket QB and that what it takes to win in the NFL but he and his agent have already talked about not coming to New Orleans the same way Eli Manning didn’t want to play for San Diego. I think that Young is a tremendous athlete but I don’t know how he’ll adjust to the NFL. You have to be proficient in the pocket and make smart decisions to be a winner. You can’t be one dimensional and take off running because teams will shut that down and make you throw it downfield ala Atlanta Falcons and Mike Vick.

4. Sports Club   -   #4
    Quote Originally Posted by BigBank_Hank
    I think that the Texans or going to go Reggie Bush with the number 1 pick. I really don’t think that they are ready to give up on David Carr yet because he really hasn’t had a chance with that terrible O line that the Texans have. They also have a young tail back in Toefield but he isn’t near the caliber back that Bush is.

Then there’s the Saints who have the second pick. Everyone around here is hoping that they go with Leinart or Young because they need a QB desperately. I really like Leinart over Young because he is more of a pocket QB and that what it takes to win in the NFL but he and his agent have already talked about not coming to New Orleans the same way Eli Manning didn’t want to play for San Diego. I think that Young is a tremendous athlete but I don’t know how he’ll adjust to the NFL. You have to be proficient in the pocket and make smart decisions to be a winner. You can’t be one dimensional and take off running because teams will shut that down and make you throw it downfield ala Atlanta Falcons and Mike Vick.
    Well see that's the thing about Vince. He stays in the pocket and runs when he is supposed to.

There are many teams that don't have the luxury of a great line and receivers like Manning.

Hell Michael Vick would the perfect QB if it wasn't for his sometimes poor decision making with the run.

I think pocket QB's are great but sans the strong line and receivers, they are in fact the one dimensional players.

All Vince needs to do (just like Vick) is learn to slide. I can't stand QB's that can't run and they are going to become has-beens.

I agree that Reggie Bush will probably be picked #1 but Vince coming in shakes things up a little bit so you never know.

---12323---4552-----
    2133--STRENGTH--8310
    344---5--5301---3232

5. Sports Club   -   #5
    what do I put here? BT Rep: +10BT Rep +10
    they will go for reggie bush there got david carr vince young wouldnt be able to do anything with that pathetic offensive line anyhow ..

unless they go for vince young and trade carr away

im sure whoever new orelans will draft would be young or Lienaut and they may pull a eli manning and not go there..

but think this only 1 QB has one in the last 20 or so years a super bowl who is a srcambnling QB yes 1994 Steve young and even he wasn't much of a scrambler by then was older everyone else a pocket passer with a good running game!
    Last edited by Adster; 01-09-2006 at 11:11 PM.

6. Sports Club   -   #6
    Quote Originally Posted by Adster
    they will go for reggie bush there got david carr vince young wouldnt be able to do anything with that pathetic offensive line anyhow ..

unless they go for vince young and trade carr away

im sure whoever new orelans will draft would be young or Lienaut and they may pull a eli manning and not go there..

but think this only 1 QB has one in the last 20 or so years a super bowl who is a srcambnling QB yes 1994 Steve young and even he wasn't much of a scrambler by then was older everyone else a pocket passer with a good running game!
    Scrambling QBs like Michael Vick are a new breed. He goes from QB to RB in an instant.

Also a QB like Vince is exactly what you need especially if your offensive line sucks. Would you want a QB with brick feet in the game when a play breaks down?
    Last edited by Busyman; 01-10-2006 at 01:32 AM.

---12323---4552-----
    2133--STRENGTH--8310
    344---5--5301---3232

7. Sports Club   -   #7
    BigBank_Hank's Avatar Move It On Over
    A QB like Vick is exactly what a team doesn’t need. He is a tremendous athlete but he’s a terrible QB. If the Falcons want to win they’re better off putting Vick at receiver because he’ll never be a good QB. He’s always hurt, he makes terrible decisions and he’s inaccurate with his passes and most teams have figured out how to stop him. His piss poor QB rating and passer rating are why they didn’t make the playoffs.

8. Sports Club   -   #8
    A QB like Vick is exactly what a team doesn’t need. He is a tremendous athlete but he’s a terrible QB. If the Falcons want to win they’re better off putting Vick at receiver because he’ll never be a good QB. He’s always hurt, he makes terrible decisions and he’s inaccurate with his passes and most teams have figured out how to stop him. His piss poor QB rating and passer rating are why they didn’t make the playoffs.
    He's not a bad passer but he does make poor decisions.

I'd like to see him on a team with a good offensive line and nice receivers.

You can't say a team doesn't need a Vick. What team? A team like the Colts without Manning would not 'cause they are good all the way around. They only need a one-dimensional accurate pocket passer.

A team like my Redskins about 3 years could've used him tremendously. Our QB Patrick Ramsey was constantly getting fucked up and it wasn't 'cause he held the ball too long. Our offensive line was sheeeeiiiiittt.

I like Vince 'cause he runs when the play breaks down and even then looks to pass.

He played a near flawless Rose Bowl too. I remember a play breaking down and you thought he'd run but he made a scrambling pass instead.
    Last edited by Busyman; 01-10-2006 at 02:27 PM.

---12323---4552-----
    2133--STRENGTH--8310
    344---5--5301---3232

9. Sports Club   -   #9
    what do I put here? BT Rep: +10BT Rep +10
    I agree most over rated QB ever

10. Sports Club   -   #10
    fkdup74's Avatar Pneuberator.
    but he and his agent have already talked about not coming to New Orleans the same way Eli Manning didn’t want to play for San Diego.
    then Leinhart is an assbag, and I hope he gets anal-raped by a legion of lepers

I'm not an NO fan, but still, that kind of slap in the face just isn't called for
    how many thousands of kids come out of college each year and don't make the NFL?
    it's a fucking gift to be drafted, I don't care what he did at USC
    who knows wtf he'll do in the NFL? anyone remember Ryan Leaf?
    Vinny Testeverde-with-more-lifetime-INTs-than-TDs?
    or Eli Manning for that matter, fuckin choker (IMO Barber got em there, not Manning)