Page 1 of 5 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Going From Intel To AMD

trajillo's Avatar Fitter Happier
    hey i currently got a intel s478 2.8ghz right now i am planning to upgrade to an AMD system..how do i do it and what do you recommend for gaming and nice mobo to go with it? and explain to me the difference between the 2 and what does like 2700+ mean?

2. Software & Hardware   -   #2
    Retired
    you wanna switch but you have no idea which one is actually 'better'?

why do you wanna go from intel to AMD?
    Last edited by {I}{K}{E}; 01-09-2006 at 11:35 PM.

3. Software & Hardware   -   #3
    can I curse? FUCK!
    Hm. Lol.. that how question is beyond me but you'll have to replace your mobo, cpu, and possibly ram(? I'm sure I read that Intel and AMD ram run on different CAS latencies)

I recommend an AMD athlon 3500+ for gaming with 2 gig ram. I've read that the 3000+ and etc mean it's the same speed as an Intel 3ghz. However, I'm not sure since they have the netburst technology and Intel transfers info in a more sloppier fashion.

4. Software & Hardware   -   #4
    cpt_azad's Avatar Colonel
    need new CPU and motherboard, ram u can keep i'm 99.9% sure (y wouldn't u be able to keep ur old ram, cuz that would make no sense ).

Jeff Loomis: He's so good, he doesn't need to be dead to have a tribute.

5. Software & Hardware   -   #5
    silent h3ro's Avatar Poster BT Rep: +9BT Rep +9
    If u plan on a new AMD I would suggest a dual core and the only reason u won't be able to use ur new ram is if it's DDR2 memory. Not sure what u meant, azad. Although I found out that AMD will use the DDR2 memory sometime this year from a quick Google.

6. Software & Hardware   -   #6
    yeah but my main problem now is that i got a 6600gt on AGP! which means if i were to get pci-e mobo then i would have to spend $200 on another 6600gt PCI-e ...hmm but i was looking at this and wondering if its good.
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16813157081

7. Software & Hardware   -   #7
    cpt_azad's Avatar Colonel
    this is what you do:

find some chump/dumbass and sell ur vidcard (use ur imagination here to convince him/her/it) for double what u bought it, and yes, it is completely possible, in fact, offer that person ull install it for them free of charge

use that money to buy a PCI-E card equivalent OR a better card

if u went w/ the equivalent card for PCI-E, then take the surplus money and put it towards a good DUAL CORE AMD processor as gameguy pointed out, preferabbly 3800+ and up.

and if u went with a more extravagent vid card, then save up and get a dual core anyway, cuz in a few months/year(s) ull need to upgrade to dualcore anyway.

edit: real life example: i sold my geforce fx5200, yes a crappy 5200 128mb PCI (not express or AGP!) card, for 250 dollars canadian! i installed it for him, he's like 12 yrs old and got his parents to buy it for him. i didnt find any buyers but u gotta keep looking, there is always someone dumb enough, always. but then again, this was half a year ago, no idea what 5200's were worth, but definitely not that much, prob. not even worth 60 bucks back then
    Last edited by cpt_azad; 01-10-2006 at 05:38 AM.

Jeff Loomis: He's so good, he doesn't need to be dead to have a tribute.

8. Software & Hardware   -   #8
    Virtualbody1234's Avatar Forum Star BT Rep: +2
    Quote Originally Posted by cpt_azad
    this is what you do:

find some chump/dumbass and sell ur vidcard (use ur imagination here to convince him/her/it) for double what u bought it, and yes, it is completely possible, in fact, offer that person ull install it for them free of charge

use that money to buy a PCI-E card equivalent OR a better card

if u went w/ the equivalent card for PCI-E, then take the surplus money and put it towards a good DUAL CORE AMD processor as gameguy pointed out, preferabbly 3800+ and up.

and if u went with a more extravagent vid card, then save up and get a dual core anyway, cuz in a few months/year(s) ull need to upgrade to dualcore anyway.

edit: real life example: i sold my geforce fx5200, yes a crappy 5200 128mb PCI (not express or AGP!) card, for 250 dollars canadian! i installed it for him, he's like 12 yrs old and got his parents to buy it for him. i didnt find any buyers but u gotta keep looking, there is always someone dumb enough, always. but then again, this was half a year ago, no idea what 5200's were worth, but definitely not that much, prob. not even worth 60 bucks back then
    A fine example of how to rip someone off. A 12year old at that. Remind me to never buy anything from cpt_azad.

9. Software & Hardware   -   #9
    S!X's Avatar L33T Member BT Rep: +5
    cpt_azad is a huge scam artist.... im suprised you guys didnt know that

10. Software & Hardware   -   #10
    im going to go with buying a AMD ATHLON64 X2 3800+ 64-BIT CPU which is about $500 AUS ...then that leaves me $200 left to buy http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16813157081
    That... then when i get enough i'll get a pci-e graphics card and add it to that...
    or i'll try and sell my 6600gt (i got for $212) i'll try and sell for $250 then i will have $450 to buy a 6600gt pci-e or higher and mobo but still getting the dual core.
    i'll go with the first option until i can find a buying for at least $200 .

Page 1 of 5 1234 ... LastLast