Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Notpad Error

i have a serious problem here with my notepad.whenever i opean my .txt files i get the error above.i have reinstalled my windows but all efforts were in waste.that restore.com file is infected with win32.alco.gen and cannot be repaired .

2. Software & Hardware   -   #2
    Benno's Avatar Poster
    Have you tried searching for this file and then pointing it to this location?

I just searched but I couldnt find this file on my computer.

You Better Keep In Mind That I Can Read Between The Lines

Never argue with an idiot, they drag you down to there level and beat you with experience!!

3. Software & Hardware   -   #3
    4play's Avatar knob jockey
    If you have been infected with a virus that cannot be repaired the only thing to do is backup your computer.

And then format it.

Or you could just find a notepad replacement there are plenty out there.

4. Software & Hardware   -   #4
    Livy's Avatar Simpleton
    looks like there may be a prob with your file type definitions, you could try, if you got the option. of right clicking on ythe text file and go to open with, select notepad, and set always use this program,
    or open up control panel, then goto folder options, file types, then find .txt extention, open up the properties for it, then one of the options in the list there should say open, edit this one, and make sure it says to open with notepad, if not change it. if u got win9x i think notepad.exe is in the win dir. if not, search for it.
    hope this helps

5. Software & Hardware   -   #5
    In searching for that particular virus, I only found 1 reference to it here: http://www.ccim.be/cgc/cgcezine/cgcezine37.htm. This site is in German so do a search for the word win32.alco.gen on that page. Good luck.

6. Software & Hardware   -   #6
    Ex-member
    EditPad Lite is a good Notepad replacement - much more powerful but just as simple.

It's also freeware.

7. Software & Hardware   -   #7
    Forum Star
    Hold shift, click on a text-file. Select Notepad.exe from the list of programs.

8. Software & Hardware   -   #8
    Livy's Avatar Simpleton
    Originally posted by Paul@21 April 2003 - 14:44
    lol, knew there had to be an easier way.

9. Software & Hardware   -   #9
    Originally posted by Paul@21 April 2003 - 14:44
    thx-a-lot paul u saved my pc from being formated .all i did was selected holded shift and right clicked and selected notepad thanks man :teehee:

10. Software & Hardware   -   #10
    Poster
    I hate to say this, but if you haven't done a "clean install", longer than 6 months, then you are due.

As a personal rule, I usually clean house with the PC every 4 to 6 months. I backup the essential files that I need, onto a CDROM. Label the CDROM as "Cleanup Disk No.x" with a DATE. Then I do a clean install.

I have 60 GB and that is a lot of crap to clean up and worry about. I end up deleting a lot of files, trashing them.

I recommend starting over! Un-partition the hard drive, format it and reinstall Windows98.

If using XP, then let XP do the partitioning and formatting (using the NTFS, it is faster and better than FAT32).

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast