Thread: Oem Windows Xp On A New Hard-drive

Poster
    Been to several hardware guide webbies out there and I found out that my HDD's got symptoms of failure anytime soon. I'm writing this now in hope of getting an answer ASAP. HDD constantly fails to be read. I was wondering whether my OEM version of windows xp can be reused on a brand new HDD if ever I bought a new one.

2. Software & Hardware   -   #2
    Livy's Avatar Simpleton
    it should be ok with a new hdd,

3. Software & Hardware   -   #3
    as long as there's only one instance at a time of xp, you should be ok
    at the worst you just need to get a new version of xp (possibly from here )

4. Software & Hardware   -   #4
    Poster
    I think you should be okay. You need a new hard drive anyhow, so try the OEM XP.

---------------------------------------------------

Oh yeah, is your signature a diaphram?
    What is that?

5. Software & Hardware   -   #5
    Poster
    ***WARNING***

When using OEM WindowsXP HOME OR PRO you have to activate the software or it limits the days you can go before registering---i.e. you have like 14 days or whatever to register or Windows goes flop...."PLEASE REGISTER YOUR PRODUCT" blah, blah...

And you only get three uses per original cd-key....THREE that's it. And new keys ARE NOT CHEAP AND YES YOU HAVE TO PAY FOR THE NEW ONE FROM M$

Just thought I'd add my 2 cents

6. Software & Hardware   -   #6
    Poster
    Originally posted by ThE_MP3_G0d@22 April 2003 - 00:55
    ***WARNING***

When using OEM WindowsXP HOME OR PRO you have to activate the software or it limits the days you can go before registering---i.e. you have like 14 days or whatever to register or Windows goes flop...."PLEASE REGISTER YOUR PRODUCT" blah, blah...

And you only get three uses per original cd-key....THREE that's it. And new keys ARE NOT CHEAP AND YES YOU HAVE TO PAY FOR THE NEW ONE FROM M$

Just thought I'd add my 2 cents
    That's a crock of crap! Microsoft charging you for something you already paid for.

The guy probably bought a DELL or something like that, with WindowsXP already installed. Then after a while, the hard drive dies. So he shouldn't have to pay for a new KEY. It wasn't Windows that went bad. It was the hard drive.

------
    What happens if Microsoft went out of business, or if Microsft doesn't support XP anymore, and you still use WindowsXP. How do you activate it within the 30 day limit?

Say or example, 20 years from now, you wanted to relive old Windows memories, then installed XP.

7. Software & Hardware   -   #7
    as long as the copy of xp that you have is legitimate, and there is only one instance at a time (i.e. it does not appear more than once at the same time (which it doesn't)), then it is completely legal.
    after the install you have 30 days to activate xp. when you try to activate it, just enter your product key, and everything should go ok.
    if you get an error, you can phone up microsoft, free of charge, and explain your problem. if necessary, microsoft will give you a new key (without charge)
    i had to phone up microsoft last time cos i had installed more than three times, however, i was not charged anyhting by microsoft

8. Software & Hardware   -   #8
    Poster
    Originally posted by ThE_MP3_G0d@22 April 2003 - 00:55

And you only get three uses per original cd-key....THREE that's it.
    Fact is, I reformatted and reinstalled Windows XP home about 3-4times, and I used the CD Key over again to install the OEM version and it worked. I didn't think there was anything wron since it's the same Hard drive anyways.

CD Keys that can be used 3 times only?? Funny why I'm able to register and use this CD key after 3 or 4 reinstallations.