Thread: Wireless connectivity awful

Poster
    Hardware - Linksys WAG54G Ver 1.2 connected via Ethernet to Main PC
    Compex 54g PCMCIA Card connected to P4 laptop
    Netgear WG111 v2 connected to P3 PC

Access restricted via MAC code...no encryption yet.

The computer connected via Ethernet works perfectly
    The laptop works for most of the time with occasional disconnections
    The wirelessly connected computer spends most of it's time looking for a network, and every now and then connects (at very good signal strength).

Now I know that signal strength is fine for all computers since it has been connected at good signal strengths on more than one occassion. However, when I look at the DHCP table on my router status page, a lot of the time it shows that the wirelessly connected computer and laptop are connected to the network via Ethernet interface. How can that be?

Is there any way of fixing this problem?

If all my hardware runs at 802.11g and is broadcasted over channel 11, should I keep those as options on all my computers or should I let it decide automatically?

2. Internet, Programming and Graphics   -   #2
    Are you using the newest WG111 driver?

It's worth trying a different channels to see if it works any better. Try 1 and 6.
    "I went over to a friend's house the other day. He was having problems with his computer and he asked me to look at it, and I realized he had Windows Me and it's like, oh no—that's your first problem."-Michael Dell, founder and CEO of Dell.

3. Internet, Programming and Graphics   -   #3
    Poster
    I moved to channel 1 and disabled any access restrictions. All the computers immediately started working. I left it going for a while, and as soon as a new computer (a friend's) joined the network, the other computers started losing connectivity.

After the friend had left, the computers started picking up again but today they started with more problems. I explored the problem and it turned out that I had an unwelcome user of my network. No idea who the guy is since I live in a semi-detached house.

I managed to get to the stage where my computers were connecting fine....but so was "WILL", my unwanted neighbour. I reapplied restriction by MAC code....and my computers stopped connecting. Diabled it --- started working again. What can the problem be?

4. Internet, Programming and Graphics   -   #4
    I reapplied restriction by MAC code....and my computers stopped connecting. Diabled it --- started working again. What can the problem be?
    Either you are not configuring it correctly or there is some buggy software somewhere in the mix. Latest firmware on the router?
    "I went over to a friend's house the other day. He was having problems with his computer and he asked me to look at it, and I realized he had Windows Me and it's like, oh no—that's your first problem."-Michael Dell, founder and CEO of Dell.

5. Internet, Programming and Graphics   -   #5
    muchspl3's Avatar muchspl3 > muchspl2
    all the people that have these problems don't have linksys cards, as stated get the latest drivers for your router and hope for the best
    `anyone from Argentina on this board?

I need your help and if you can help me pM me