Thread: where to buy older sdram mobo's

Mïcrösöül°V³'s Avatar Hammer Smashed Face
    My dad had his athlon die on him, and was wondering where to get a replacement mobo and cpu. He has 1gb sdram, so we were trying to find a place that may still sell mobos that will use the ram he has, while still being able to use a more modern cpu (like 1.7ghz or so-ish). I am just sort of fishing around here to exhaust any alternatives he may have. The next step will be to just buy a new dell or something inexpensive. I prefer not to buy from ebay, but I guess that is a possibility, unless someone knows of somewhere retail (online). It can be pentium or athlon, he dont care, the pc is just for business use anyway. Thanks for any advice.

2. Software & Hardware   -   #2
    lynx's Avatar .
    If it is socket A, try this

Ok, it's ebay, but your choices are pretty limited.

Otherwise, try your local computer market/meet or whatever you call them.

Why do some people with businesses continue to use their "old and trusted equipment" until it dies on them and leaves them in a bind?

My brother is just the same. His found his pc with a BSOD (and of course he didn't note what it said, despite this being the third time and my insisting that I can't fix it without knowing the info). And of course it wouldn't reboot. (It's booted since, but it is obviously struggling to keep going)

Since he and his partner have to produce a couple of dozen tax accounts before the end of the month he phones me and wants a quick quote on a new high quality system. Off the top of my head I threw back "£400 without monitor". I heard his partner nearly faint in the background: "you've got to be kidding". I happen to remember that when I built their current system for them about 9 years ago it cost more than twice that. She was expecting a quote around the £1500 region.

Anyway, I've had to price one up including a 17" flat panel monitor. Without the monitor it comes to almost exactly £400. I'll order the parts tomorrow and pick them up first thing on Friday.

My point is, if the system is needed for business it is not sensible to try to keep it running for ever. You wouldn't do it for a home system, and that's far less critical. You can often save the tax on the replacement equipment so that it costs you very little. There are tricks you can do to make upgrades almost painless, but they won't work if you are trying to upgrade from the ark to a supertanker.
    Political correctness is based on the principle that it's possible to pick up a turd by the clean end.

3. Software & Hardware   -   #3
    Virtualbody1234's Avatar Forum Star BT Rep: +2
    If your going to replace the mobo and CPU then why would you want to stick with SDRAM?

RAM is one of the least expensive parts of a system. Don't hold the whole system back for that.

Example: BUFFALO Select 512 MB DDR PC3200 for $36.44

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16820150632

4. Software & Hardware   -   #4
    Mïcrösöül°V³'s Avatar Hammer Smashed Face
    yea, you guys are right, and its what i was thinking also, but to make him happy, I thought I would look around. I will tell him to buy all new stuff with ddr ram. I dont feel like messing around with old pieces anyway.

5. Software & Hardware   -   #5
    peat moss's Avatar Software Farmer BT Rep: +15BT Rep +15BT Rep +15
    Quote Originally Posted by Mïcrösöül°V³
    yea, you guys are right, and its what i was thinking also, but to make him happy, I thought I would look around. I will tell him to buy all new stuff with ddr ram. I dont feel like messing around with old pieces anyway.

I'd gladly buy the old ram plus pay for shipping ! The old shit is like gold ,

512MB PC133 SDRAM $89 . Canadian