Thread: 'DVD Jon' Declares Intent To Crack Next-Gen DVDs

Darth Sushi's Avatar Sushi Lord
    "DVD Jon" Johansen, who popularized the means to crack the CSS system protecting DVDs, has committed to launching a tool to crach the Advanced Access Content System (AACS) used in next-generation DVDs.

In a blog posting earlier this month, Johansen announced that he had registered the Deaacs.com site, which cites a "winter 2006/2007" release date for the software.
    ADVERTISEMENT

"AACS, like CSS, will be a success," Johansen wrote. "Not at preventing piracy. That's not the primary objective of any DRM system. Anyone who has read the CSS license agreement knows that the primary objective is to control the market for players. Don't you just love when your DVD player tells you 'This operation is prohibited' when you try to skip the intro?"

Johansen wrote and released "DeCSS," a tool for stripping the Content Scrambling System protections written into DVDs. In 2003, entertainment lobbyists tried to argue that Johansen, a Norwegian, had contributed to copyright piracy by releasing the tool on the Internet. Johansen argued that stripping the copy protection was necessary to view movies using a Linux-based movie player.

Source: http://www.extremetech.com/article2/...1911971,00.asp
    Last edited by tesco; 01-21-2006 at 08:11 PM.

2. News (Archive)   -   #2
    kazaaman's Avatar Proud Indian
    This is good for all of us!!!

3. News (Archive)   -   #3
    muchspl3's Avatar muchspl3 > muchspl2
    and god bless him
    `anyone from Argentina on this board?

I need your help and if you can help me pM me