Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: 56k Users

clocker's Avatar Shovel Ready
    Well Jibbler, since I don't participate at your level I can't really judge your actions.Perhaps I would do the same, perhaps not.
    Moot point really.
    You are almost certainly in the minority with respect to the number of files you share and the equipment you use to do so.
    For the rest of us the problem (?) of 56k'ers is simply a non issue.
    You do what you feel best as will I.
    "I am the one who knocks."- Heisenberg

2. File Sharing   -   #12
    Jibbler's Avatar proud member of MDS
    Originally posted by clocker@22 April 2003 - 16:25
    You are almost certainly in the minority with respect to the number of files you share and the equipment you use to do so.
    Please don't misunderstand me. I'm not saying that everyone should follow my lead. I am saying that there are legitimate reasons why people choose to do what they do. Let me explain further.

Lets say I have a file, a new movie, that I'm going to make available. No matter how I share it, only those people on my supernode will be able to download it. If I setup my kazaa for multiple connects, like 10 for instance, then 10 users could download at once. All those users are getting very slow download speeds, so it will take forever to get this file to all of them. Essentially, I've created lots of partial downloads, but still there are no more sources available. Makes sense so far right?

Ok, here is where I come in. Partial downloads do not help files to spread, only completed files are recognized as available sources. So if I powershare the file, and I'm able to get the complete file to other fast users, they will disconnect and eventually reconnect on different nodes, thus the file will actually spread. So by sending the file to other fast users, it becomes available on more supernodes, and thus gets to you quicker. This is the trouble with using sig2dat for rare files. You hash it and post it, but most people can't find sources, because the files are not being spread fast enough.

Its all about the math. I mean, I could manipulate the numbers one way, and you could do it another. Mainly, I'm just pointing out that there is more than one way to skin a cat.
    Proud member of MDS

3. File Sharing   -   #13
    Originally posted by Jibbler@22 April 2003 - 15:36

Its all about the math. I mean, I could manipulate the numbers one way, and you could do it another. Mainly, I'm just pointing out that there is more than one way to skin a cat.
    Indeed there is.

Too many of the furry little bastards anyway.

4. File Sharing   -   #14
    BANNED
    Dsl and t2 is the way of the future. plus with 56k it is impossible to download any file over 15,000 kb cuz it only goes at like 4.0kb/s at the fastest

5. File Sharing   -   #15
    Originally posted by bulio@22 April 2003 - 17:04
    Dsl and t2 is the way of the future. plus with 56k it is impossible to download any file over 15,000 kb cuz it only goes at like 4.0kb/s at the fastest
    I disagree.

DSL and T lines (1,2 and 3) are nice for right now but hardly innovative.
    Many of the big telecommunications companies in the US are saddled with brutal debt. Quest Communications, right here in Denver, is facing a debt payment of 6 BILLION due in 2005.
    They are toast.

Meanwhile, working feverishly in the backround are the Public Utility companies, already testing in New Jersey(?) technology which uses the nation's power grid to transmit communication signals.
    We are ALL already wired.
    The internet as close as the nearest wall outlet!

Now that is the wave of the future!

btw- I amassed almost my entire South Park collection while still on a dial-up connecion. It IS painful, but hardly impossible. You should be more patient...

6. File Sharing   -   #16
    Poster
    Originally posted by bulio@22 April 2003 - 18:04
    You're getting up to 4 kb/s download speeds?
    Heck, irregardless of what you're on, for any particular file that's not stupidly common -- you may only get a download at 1 kb/s or less.

7. File Sharing   -   #17
    I used 56k over 10 years now, and now I’m finally on broadband...so therefore I allow everybody to leech off of me anytime and I even helped some out by compressing and dividing it

Experiences is all some people actually needed

8. File Sharing   -   #18
    Poster
    Well I have had and still do have 56k for the past few years. When I did discover File Sharing it brought a new world too me all these file's to download for free. I started downloading small mp3 files usually taking up to 15 minutes for a 192kbps file. Soon I went onto "bigger" things like movie files 100+ megs takes me about 6 hours. This believe it or not seems fast to me because somehow I maange to get speeds of 5kbps. On a 56k I considered this quite fast so I download my movies in quite a good time for my speed. I even mangane to surf the web at a very good speed I'm downloading a file of Kazza Lite right now at 4.39Kb off only 3 user's. So usually people with fast connections are petty they put a bandwidth limit upload and let anyone upload of them and go to sleep or do whatever. But their is user's on Winmx and such that actually kill your download just for been 56k and it hurts. Right now in Australia Broadband connections are quite expensive. I could get one but their is download limits it ask's you to pay $60-$70 for about 300/megs a month on 128k. If that isn't a rip of I don't know what is. But it seems broadband price's are changing in recent months here and across the world. So as it gets cheaper soon enough 56k won't even be heard off anymore. It just piss me off people with connection speeds of like 1MB/s kill of 56k'ers. How is smoeone uploading at about 4kbps going to affect them. I have downloaded quite a few huge files thanks to some very grateful user's on Kazza it took me only two nights and I had downloaded 1GBs+ from two files on my connection. So if given a chance 56k'rs can get alright speeds and killing them off is just killing off p2p and it's nearly as bad as leeching. Which many people seem to call 56'kers even though slow 90% of 56k'ers aren't leechers we share nearly as much as Broadband connections. So please I ask all the people with Broadband connection to be fair and share so we can all get a chance.

9. File Sharing   -   #19
    Originally posted by Jibbler@22 April 2003 - 22:36
    Lets say I have a file, a new movie, that I'm going to make available. No matter how I share it, only those people on my supernode will be able to download it. If I setup my kazaa for multiple connects, like 10 for instance, then 10 users could download at once. All those users are getting very slow download speeds, so it will take forever to get this file to all of them. Essentially, I've created lots of partial downloads, but still there are no more sources available. Makes sense so far right?

Ok, here is where I come in. Partial downloads do not help files to spread, only completed files are recognized as available sources. So if I powershare the file, and I'm able to get the complete file to other fast users, they will disconnect and eventually reconnect on different nodes, thus the file will actually spread. So by sending the file to other fast users, it becomes available on more supernodes, and thus gets to you quicker. This is the trouble with using sig2dat for rare files. You hash it and post it, but most people can't find sources, because the files are not being spread fast enough.
    Ok, then by definition you are on top of the food chain (he he).
    Although I could agree should you be monitoring your uploads nostop and booting all 56kers you would then in essence be doing all of us on bb a great sevice. Though this is not realistic nor believable to me, sorry to say. I also carry rare files at times as well and may unshare others to create priority, but in being realistic I know 56kers (being the majority) will jump in my slots while I am taking a shit or... As to such, I allow more slots to compinsate for this (usually 5) so that bb users will also be present in my upload. If I were to watch just 2 bb users or 3 56kers and 2 bb users, the bb users are getting the same speeds either way (the bw is not so limited) and I do not have monitor this as the averages of users blend into the slots, thus I can dump relaxed while spreading (files perv) and be 56k stress free making my bowels feel all the better.

10. File Sharing   -   #20
    Originally posted by nWa Th3 NeW GeN3rAtIoN@23 April 2003 - 02:53
    So if given a chance 56k'rs can get alright speeds and killing them off is just killing off p2p and it's nearly as bad as leeching.
    Point well made.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast