Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: 56k Users

SHIFTY's Avatar Poster
    well i used to use 56k, then i coughed up the money and got DSL, so now i get everything, and yes i was bullied when i had 56k, couldnt use IRC, or Bit Torrent, it suckd, so i got DSL, sorry 56kers but u need to upgrade, its like comparing an x-box or a ps2 to the atari

2. File Sharing   -   #22
    I come to this site, I see people bitching that they&#39;re getting <5kb/s on Broadband. I get that much on 56k. Yes I would upgrade if I could, but
    Right now in Australia Broadband connections are quite expensive. I could get one but their is download limits it ask&#39;s you to pay &#036;60-&#036;70 for about 300/megs a month on 128k.
    And I&#39;ve got much better things to spend my money on at the moment.
    And besides, no one seems to be complaing that I&#39;ve got a 56k connection while they&#39;re upload from me.

3. File Sharing   -   #23
    j2k4's Avatar en(un)lightened
    I&#39;ll drop in just long enough to say I now understand Jibblers rationale-It&#39;s apparent he has taken a "larger" view which is beneficial to P2P. (A distinctly comservative tactic, that).

Clocker-I&#39;ve just been reading about the impending involvement of the utes
    in broadband-good things are headed our way, though there will be a mess to clean up re: the big telecoms, for sure. If/when they go, I hope they go as quietly as possible, but..........
    "Researchers have already cast much darkness on the subject, and if they continue their investigations, we shall soon know nothing at all about it."

-Mark Twain

4. File Sharing   -   #24
    clocker's Avatar Shovel Ready
    Originally posted by j2k4@23 April 2003 - 09:11

Clocker-I&#39;ve just been reading about the impending involvement of the utes
    in broadband-good things are headed our way, though there will be a mess to clean up re: the big telecoms, for sure. If/when they go, I hope they go as quietly as possible, but..........
    I envision an airline- like, tax- supported bailout for the telecom industry just over the horizon.
    They shan&#39;t go down without demanding their pound of ( our ) flesh.
    In my neck of the forest there is almost no competition among high-speed providers, it would be easy to speculate about industry collusion.
    The thought of the "blue collar" pubutes sneaking up and stealing away a heretofore restricted market share would just tickle me pink ( that&#39;s as close as I can get&#33.
    "I am the one who knocks."- Heisenberg

5. File Sharing   -   #25
    Jibbler's Avatar proud member of MDS
    Originally posted by clocker@23 April 2003 - 11:36
    I envision an airline- like, tax- supported bailout for the telecom industry just over the horizon.
    Don&#39;t expect to see this anytime in the near future. While I&#39;ll admit that its a possibility, I can&#39;t forsee this happening within the next 20 years. There will always be a need for hard wired service. Cellular phones and other technology like WiFi aren&#39;t even close to providing a reasonable connection speed for data. As technology inproves, DSL/cable may be phased out and replaced by wireless technology. However there will always be a demand for faster connections because the improvements in technology will huge amounts of data transfer.

Consider for example DSL/cable service. This is hard wired, and in 10 or 20 years, could be replaced by wireless technology as it improves. In 20 years, we won&#39;t be surfing the web on a computer, we&#39;ll be progressing into the field of virtual reality. This will require so much more data transfer, and it will only be achieved by running more "hard wires" throughout this nation of ours. I work for the largest telecommunications company in the US, soon to be worldwide. I assure you, there is no bailout coming.
    Proud member of MDS

6. File Sharing   -   #26
    clocker's Avatar Shovel Ready
    I think you missed my point, Jibbler.
    Many of the large telecom companies are faced with huge debt service.
    They are going to ask for government bailouts to help them avoid bankrupcy.
    The public utilities are planning on running communication service through their power (hard) lines.
    They don&#39;t have to wire your house- it already is.
    They already have a network in place and the means to service it. If they can perfect the technology they will be offering internet service for a fraction of what a telecom could.
    Hence the bailout.
    "I am the one who knocks."- Heisenberg

7. File Sharing   -   #27
    Poster
    I too am a dial-up user, but unfortunately, after applying several times for a cable modem, have been told that it is not available in my area.The annoying thing is, my area was one of the first to have standard telephone lines and TV installed by that company.Wankers&#33;&#33;&#33;
    cheers,
    Bass.

8. File Sharing   -   #28
    Originally posted by clocker@23 April 2003 - 21:02
    The public utilities are planning on running communication service through their power (hard) lines.
    They don&#39;t have to wire your house- it already is.
    They already have a network in place and the means to service it. If they can perfect the technology they will be offering internet service for a fraction of what a telecom could.
    Its an exagerated myth that the power grid could be used for this purpose. There are lots of reasons for this, the most important being the structure of it all. Sure there are neat little gadgets that let you do this inside of your home, but it can&#39;t be applied to the entire network. I&#39;m not saying it can&#39;t ever be possible, but this just isn&#39;t the direction the telecom/data transfer industry is headed.
    Proud member of MDS

9. File Sharing   -   #29
    Originally posted by REALITY@23 April 2003 - 02:21
    Ok, then by definition you are on top of the food chain (he he).
    Well, sorta. There is a heirarchy to filetrading. Sure any of us could share the files we have, and even make our own rips. These can become shared and will slowly spread across the network. The files that I&#39;m referring to aren&#39;t my own rips. They are "professional rips" by ripping groups like Centropy, RNS, even TMD if you will. These files are posted to newsgroups anonymously, then they are slowed distributed, thru different networks, and then they ultimately get to you.

With all due respect, Kazaa is a wonderful service. However if you are getting files here, you are getting them last. Kazaa is the lowest level on the filesharing food chain. Other experienced users like Schmiggy and SuperJude will verify this concept.

Since I&#39;ve been doing this for so damn long, getting or finding files is easy for me. Check my contributions and posts in the verified section of musicworld. I post hashes first, and I try to get the files from point A to point B as fast as possible. I could probably fill most requests on this board, if only I had the time and available hard drive space.

Since I recently purchased a DVD burner, I rarely download movies anymore, so I no longer post hashes in that forum. I like this board, because of the good people here, the excellent conversation, and the hope that I might educate some of the inexperienced users here. B)
    Proud member of MDS

10. File Sharing   -   #30
    BANNED
    Yes i have 56k and i only do one download at a time i get about 4k u do feel bad when someone is UP of ya somtimes i get 3 UP at a time from the same person which is a pain in the ass coz they all go at 0.4k each i just cant afford Broadband

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast