Page 1 of 5 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: 56k Users

Do 56K users feel rejected on kazaa? we can't share properly 'cause we have no bandwidth...but all the people that have fast connections cancel our downloads! doesn't that piss you off?

2. File Sharing   -   #2
    clocker's Avatar Shovel Ready
    Originally posted by little_drunkard@21 April 2003 - 19:34
    Do 56K users feel rejected on kazaa? we can't share properly 'cause we have no bandwidth...but all the people that have fast connections cancel our downloads! doesn't that piss you off?
    Although I now enjoy the many splendors of BroadBand, when I first started on Kazaa, waaaay back last November, I was hobbled to a 56k modem. Believe me, I well remember the pain. However, I still managed to share enough to achieve Supreme Being status and was NEVER cancelled ( that I'm aware of ) because of my slow speed.
    I think you may recieve a false impression from reading this forum. These folks are the most active people on the network and their views, I sometimes think, represent only a small % of users in toto. Most of my friends start a download and go watch tv, or whatever. Few , if any, sit glued to their monitors, religiously ready to police the network and smite the weak or the selfish. The 56k'ers are actually the majority I believe, and the pie is big enough for us all.
    "I am the one who knocks."- Heisenberg

3. File Sharing   -   #3
    Jibbler's Avatar proud member of MDS
    Yeah, there is alot less broadband users out there than people think. I'm on cable, and I very rarely get good speeds for download. In fact, most of my uploads are at 1k or 2k.
    Proud member of MDS

4. File Sharing   -   #4
    Poster
    B)
    hi there !
    i've only had broadband for six months. prior to that like just about everyone else, i had 56k for years(also achieving supreme being status) they call me GURU these days, i'm not sure if that is good or bad. however one of my biggest downloads was achieved pre broadband in a remarkable time, due to the numerous users on my computer being afforded by k++ .i'll never forget it and i will never kick any user in the process.
    regards
    m8t

5. File Sharing   -   #5
    DarthInsinuate's Avatar Died in battle
    not really rejected - just a minor member of the filesharing community
    The Sexay Half Of ABBA And Max: Freelance Plants

6. File Sharing   -   #6
    i'm stuck on 56k and i dont get kicked very much and normally get quite good speeds (for a 56k modem) of about 4KB/s
    There are 10 types of people in the world those who understand binary and those who dont

7. File Sharing   -   #7
    Originally posted by ObiWan@22 April 2003 - 12:57
    i'm stuck on 56k and i dont get kicked very much and normally get quite good speeds (for a 56k modem) of about 4KB/s
    Yes, but the problem with 56k is that people try to download too many files at once. I have people trying to get mp3s from me, at 1.06k, or some crap like that. I assure you, i'm on a fast cable, and I'm not tying up both of my send slots for an hour or more, just so that you can get one fucking mp3. If you are 56k, you need to download 1 file at a time, otherwise you are wasting my upload bandwidth.

I do not normally cut of anyone who trys to get files, but there is a limit to everything.
    Proud member of MDS

8. File Sharing   -   #8
    Originally posted by Jibbler@22 April 2003 - 19:31
    Yes, but the problem with 56k is that people try to download too many files at once. I have people trying to get mp3s from me, at 1.06k, or some crap like that. I assure you, i'm on a fast cable, and I'm not tying up both of my send slots for an hour or more, just so that you can get one fucking mp3. If you are 56k, you need to download 1 file at a time, otherwise you are wasting my upload bandwidth.

I do not normally cut of anyone who trys to get files, but there is a limit to everything.
    1. I am suprised Jb to hear you say this. If a 56ker tries to dl to many files, he will be waiting a long time for them, so what, its his time. Are you to prioritize how he dl. If you are worried about a user tying up "both" your slots, then what do you do if there are 2 sepereate 56k users in your slots?
    2. If you are on fast cable and you are concerned about tying up "both" (am I to understand you only allow 2 slots on your fast cable??) of your ul slots then have 5 or 10 allowing 56kers to sit in some and we fast calble users can ul from you as well. Then they can get their one fucking mp3 (geez ur hostile) and we can enjoy our speed as well.
    3. This is not a "fast" user only service, 56kers are the majority and support this heavily.
    4. When I dl a file with multiple sources, lets say 20, once I expand the folder about 15 (75%) of the slots are filled with low speeds (56kers), and I am glad they are there. Thanks to even you 56kers my dl will be faster than without you.
    5. I truly hope you do not only have 2 slots, because odds are that the majority of ul will be consumed by 56kers and the minority on fast bb conections will not be able to ul from you. This brings no justice. I always have at least 5 slots, sometimes as many as 10 if I am holding something in demand and not dl at the time.
    6. I think 56kers should have 1 slot maybe 2 available for ul, and if having a bandwidth issue, possibly surfing and dl at the same time (this was the worst when I had 56k, pages loaded while I went and took a shit, when I came back they were still loading), then in this case maybe none.

I think you need to reconsider these views.

9. File Sharing   -   #9
    clocker's Avatar Shovel Ready
    Originally posted by Jibbler@22 April 2003 - 12:31
      If you are 56k, you need to download 1 file at a time, otherwise you are wasting my upload bandwidth.

I too am quite surprised by the vehemence of your views on this subject, Jibby.

If you think about it, your upload screen is a passive activity and your download screen is active. How many downloads you run will directly affect your speed both in Kazaa and websurfing. The activity on your upload bandwidth has no effect on you at all. The amount of bandwidth assigned to uploading remains constant whether you have a 56k'er struggling to get a mp3 or a BB user blazing through a movie.
    So...

Why the hell do you care?

With all the bandwidth available to you don't you have more interesting things to look at than your boring little upload screen?
    "I am the one who knocks."- Heisenberg

10. File Sharing   -   #10
    Originally posted by clocker@22 April 2003 - 14:28
    If you think about it, your upload screen is a passive activity and your download screen is active. How many downloads you run will directly affect your speed both in Kazaa and websurfing. The activity on your upload bandwidth has no effect on you at all. The amount of bandwidth assigned to uploading remains constant whether you have a 56k'er struggling to get a mp3 or a BB user blazing through a movie.
    With respect to Clocker and Reality, I'll try to answer your questions as best I can.

Due to the nature of files that I share, I restrict bandwidth based upon what I am sharing. For instance, if I have a movie that just became available for download, I will "unshare" everything else on my machine, so that these files get priority. I may restrict my uploads to 2 sends slots, to ensure that other fast users are getting the files as quickly as I can provide them. I guess I'm saying that I would rather have 2 upload slots, giving out a max of 30k, instead of 10 slots that can only upload at 5k. This may seem harsh to you, but other users on cable/dsl want my files. If they download them from me at the same speed as a 56ker, then their bandwidth is not being utilized, and thus we are using fast connections, but slowing down the spread of files on the network. This is commonly known as powersharing.

Another point that I will quickly make, is Kazaa uses alot of resources, and having lots of constant uploads requires more of my processor. I have a p4, lots of ram, blah, blah, blah.. its plenty fast, and I need that processing speed for other applications like eMule and mIRC where I constantly trade files. Without IRC, most you wouldn't ever get any of the files being ripped for you. Also, very few of you have DVD-R burners. When you finally make this jump, you will recognize how intensive this can be on your machine. My resources are valuable, and I'm interested in spreading the files as quickly as possible given the limited resources available to me.

During the night, my kazaa runs 24/7 while I sleep, so any user can login and get what they want. However, when I'm here, in front of my machine, I sometimes will cut off a user if they are on an extremely slow connection. This is very rare, but yes, it does happen.
    Proud member of MDS

Page 1 of 5 1234 ... LastLast