Thread: soldering iron tip goes black

99shassan's Avatar Poster BT Rep: +1
    I got a soldering iron (30w). I heated it up and it went black. I tried adding some solder onto the tip and it turns into beads and goes everywhere but the tip. I even tried dipping the solder into some flux with no luck.
    Changed SPAN settings in sig a YEAR after it was removed

2. Software & Hardware   -   #2
    Virtualbody1234's Avatar Forum Star BT Rep: +2
    The tip has to be "tinned". http://www.platoproducts.com/howtotin.htm

3. Software & Hardware   -   #3
    You should have got solder onto the tip as soon as it was hot enough to melt it.

Start by repeatly wiping the bit on a damp cellulose spone or damp kitchen towel and applying solder. You may have to scrape the tip but not too much, you don't want to damage the iron plating.

I keep a pot of TTC1 tip cleaner around which works well.

If you are using lead free solder you may have more success getting it to tin if you find some proper lead solder.
    Last edited by zaphodiv; 01-26-2006 at 11:53 AM.
    "I went over to a friend's house the other day. He was having problems with his computer and he asked me to look at it, and I realized he had Windows Me and it's like, oh no—that's your first problem."-Michael Dell, founder and CEO of Dell.

4. Software & Hardware   -   #4
    99shassan's Avatar Poster BT Rep: +1
    Would this count:

Here

What I would do is this, heat the soldering iron, wipe it onto the above, and then add solder to it? Would the solder stick then? The soldering iron is a 30 watt iron.
    Changed SPAN settings in sig a YEAR after it was removed

5. Software & Hardware   -   #5
    I'm guessing you are trying to use lead-free solder? I've never had any luck with cheap soldering irons and lead-free solder.

6. Software & Hardware   -   #6
    Clean the tip, don't worry about flux on the solder it probably has a flux core, flux the tip as its heating up and wipe it across a damp sponge or cloth and apply the solder then keep fluxing, wiping and applying until you get it tinned.