Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: George Galloway...

vidcc's Avatar there is no god
    I believe the "big brother" show was punishment enough

it’s an election with no Democrats, in one of the whitest states in the union, where rich candidates pay $35 for your votes. Or, as Republicans call it, their vision for the future.

2. The Drawing Room   -   #12
    Biggles's Avatar Looking for loopholes
    Quote Originally Posted by vidcc
    On the other hand it might have been a smart move by Gorgeous George.

Vote for me ... or the red lycra goes back on

J2 I don't think he has ever denied meeting these nutcases. Not sure if it has any relevance. The Daily Telgraph lost their appeal in the libel case on Wednesday so none of this stuff appears to have any legal value.

Skweeky is right though. He is the one MP almost everybody knows (for good or ill )
    Cogito cogito ergo cogito sum

3. The Drawing Room   -   #13
    j2k4's Avatar en(un)lightened
    Quote Originally Posted by Biggles
    Quote Originally Posted by vidcc
    On the other hand it might have been a smart move by Gorgeous George.

Vote for me ... or the red lycra goes back on

J2 I don't think he has ever denied meeting these nutcases. Not sure if it has any relevance. The Daily Telgraph lost their appeal in the libel case on Wednesday so none of this stuff appears to have any legal value.

Skweeky is right though. He is the one MP almost everybody knows (for good or ill )
    Never mind George; we have a skweeky sighting!

Happy days were here again...

Ah, I just wondered whether he was anyone's hero for his lark in our Congress; apparently for some, he is.

He reminds me of our Don King, the boxing promoter-mouthy as all get-out, with a closetfull of mis-matched bones.

I am gladdened thus.
    "Researchers have already cast much darkness on the subject, and if they continue their investigations, we shall soon know nothing at all about it."

-Mark Twain

4. The Drawing Room   -   #14
    JPaul's Avatar Fat Secret Agent
    He has stated that he will not stand for re-election.

My reading of it. He had already decided this (probably new he wouldn't win again) and went on big brother to widen his notoriety, making the potential for earning higher.

There are plenty newspapers which will give him column inches, TV, books, public speaking etc. I think this was all part of an enforced career change.

5. The Drawing Room   -   #15
    Skillian's Avatar T H F C f a n BT Rep: +1
    His performance in Congress did give many UKers a chuckle I'm sure. I tend to admire a man who is good with words, especially when standing up to the big guys.

As a member of Parliament however, he is more than a little embarrassing sometimes. If his political career is over soon, I imagine he will make a decent living from appearances on Have I Got News For You and the like.

I'm sure there are some politicians in the US who would love to see him go down in flames over some big scandal, but I find that pretty unlikely.

6. The Drawing Room   -   #16
    Quote Originally Posted by JPaul

My reading of it. He had already decided this (probably new he wouldn't win again) and went on big brother to widen his notoriety, making the potential for earning higher.

There are plenty newspapers which will give him column inches, TV, books, public speaking etc. I think this was all part of an enforced career change.
    He has had an enormous amount of press coverage for the Big Brother thing and I suspect that it matters little to him that it is negative. He already earns well on the speaker circuit and a little notoriety does no harm.

He may have made an error of judgement because C4 censored much of his political input but I dare say he will be able to capitalise on it.

As to the US thing, I am not sure as to its impact. George has been around a long time and that was just one day in many full of colourful incidents. I think Tony Blair may have been disappointed in the poor showing of the Senate - I think he would have been more than happy if you had kept George over there.

7. The Drawing Room   -   #17

He has had an enormous amount of press coverage for the Big Brother thing and I suspect that it matters little to him that it is negative.
    Quite the reverse, old bean. I imagine that was the plan.

That way any negative revelations which occur only add to the character, rather than detract from it. I think being an arrogant, condescending, bully also comes more naturally to him.

I think the mere fact that he looked down on the US senate and was obsequious towards Saddam and then his evil, sadistic, murdering, rapist son says all you really need to know about the man.

8. The Drawing Room   -   #18

He has had an enormous amount of press coverage for the Big Brother thing and I suspect that it matters little to him that it is negative.
    Quite the reverse, old bean. I imagine that was the plan.

That way any negative revelations which occur only add to the character, rather than detract from it. I think being an arrogant, condescending, bully also comes more naturally to him.

I think the mere fact that he looked down on the US senate and was obsequious towards Saddam and then his evil, sadistic, murdering, rapist son says all you really need to know about the man.
    A true Politician's Politician

Incredible how he took so much column space (and incredible how grateful the Lib Dems must be )
    Last edited by Biggles; 01-27-2006 at 10:25 PM.

9. The Drawing Room   -   #19
    j2k4's Avatar en(un)lightened
    All true, both ways, and comes now a correlative to the old saying about falling into the shithouse hole, but coming out smelling as a rose-

One may fall into the shithouse, but having done (or not), one always manages to emit a passable odor to the olfactory processes of a few, which, in the case of Mr. Galloway, will surely include his accountant, though only manker and perhaps les could say for sure.
    "Researchers have already cast much darkness on the subject, and if they continue their investigations, we shall soon know nothing at all about it."

-Mark Twain

10. The Drawing Room   -   #20
    Indeed, his money making potential is much increased.

The only thing which may scupper that is a Serious Fraud Office investigation. However given their form it is more likely that they will fanny about for a decade or so, then apologise for any inconvenience they have caused.

That's the problem with using bean counters to "prosecute" serious criminals. It's not a level playing field.

He will see said investigation as an easy chapter or two in his pension plan, sorry memoirs.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast