Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: New Comp SATA-IDE Question

S!X's Avatar L33T Member BT Rep: +5
    Im getting a new comp tomorrow and am wondering how am I gonna transfter my music collection and misc files to the new hd, its a SATA and my current is a IDE... will it be able to hookup? Just makin sure cuz ive never done this stuff before.

2. Software & Hardware   -   #2
    lynx's Avatar .
    I'm pretty sure your new pc will have IDE ports, so connecting your old drive in your new pc won't be a problem, just make sure the system won't try to boot from your old drive (if it is currently your system drive).

If you are thinking of trying it the other way round you may need drivers on your old system, far too complicated.

In any case, if you haven't got a hub/switch (or a router with one built in) why not simply get a network cross-over cable. That way you can copy them across the network without any problems.
    Political correctness is based on the principle that it's possible to pick up a turd by the clean end.

3. Software & Hardware   -   #3
    K, this comp cant take IDE drives on sata's from what I understand in the manual (its an HP media center) so what would be the next best solution?
    Last edited by S!X; 01-27-2006 at 08:05 AM.

4. Software & Hardware   -   #4
    clocker's Avatar Shovel Ready
    So your motherboard has no IDE headers at all?
    There are IDE to SATA converters available (Serillel or somefing...used to come bundled with NF-7 boards, I've got two at least) that will allow hooking your old drive drive to a SATA port.
    "I am the one who knocks."- Heisenberg

5. Software & Hardware   -   #5
    lynx's Avatar .
    All Media Center PCs have or offer LightScribe burners.
    HP Lightscribe burners can operate on a P3 system, and there are no P3 systems which offer SATA so they must have IDE connections. AFAIK this is also true of their standard CD and DVD offerings.

Consequently there must be some sort of IDE connection, even if it means unplugging your optical drive while you copy your data across.

I think I already told you the easiest alternative.
    Political correctness is based on the principle that it's possible to pick up a turd by the clean end.

6. Software & Hardware   -   #6
    Yup this badboy has a lightscribe, I cant really see what is available on the mobo cuz the case is som jampacked, theres like room for air in this thing. I'll have to read the manuals more and see what they say, then I'll get back to you guys.

7. Software & Hardware   -   #7
    My breath is bated.

8. Software & Hardware   -   #8
    tesco's Avatar woowoo
    Quote Originally Posted by Linkin Park
    Yup this badboy has a lightscribe, I cant really see what is available on the mobo cuz the case is som jampacked, theres like room for air in this thing. I'll have to read the manuals more and see what they say, then I'll get back to you guys.
    Just unhook some cables to get them out of your way until you can see.

9. Software & Hardware   -   #9
    Quote Originally Posted by rossco
    Just unhook some cables to get them out of your way until you can see.
    I cant even get to em its so packed.

10. Software & Hardware   -   #10

I cant even get to em its so packed.
    You're supposed to eat all the sardines.
    They are just there to protect things during shipping.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast