Page 12 of 37 FirstFirst ... 2910111213141522 ... LastLast

Thread: boycotts of Danish goods in middle East!

JPaul's Avatar Fat Secret Agent
    Oh it's OK to abuse other people's country, burn their flag etc.

It's just when a newspaper prints a cartoon they don't approve of that you cut of diplomatic links and attack their economy.

Everyone knows that.

2. The Drawing Room   -   #112
    vidcc's Avatar there is no god
    If it doesn't say danish down the side..........................

it’s an election with no Democrats, in one of the whitest states in the union, where rich candidates pay $35 for your votes. Or, as Republicans call it, their vision for the future.

3. The Drawing Room   -   #113
    maebach's Avatar Team FST Captain
    Quote Originally Posted by JPaul
    Oh it's OK to abuse other people's country, burn their flag etc.

It's just when a newspaper prints a cartoon they don't approve of that you cut of diplomatic links and attack their economy.

Everyone knows that.
    how could I forget

4. The Drawing Room   -   #114
    Biggles's Avatar Looking for loopholes
    There was a rather thoughtful letter in the Glasgow Herald today from Osama Saeed (a prominant Scottish Muslim). He went at lengths to explain that culturally it is shocking to Muslims to see depictions of the prophet. However, his view is that the issue has been hi-jacked by specific political interests rather than religious ones and referred to the Saudi input as being from that "rancid dictatorship".

I think he is largely right. The West does not have the cultural equipment to see why these pictures could be disturbing. To Western eyes they are very mild satire indeed. However, I also understand that many in the ME who have seen these pictures do appreciate that they are not particularly nasty nor are they saying that the Prophet condones terrorism. In Jordan, one of their newspapers has shown the pictures and called for tolerance and reflection.

However, terrorists in the ME do say the Prophet condones terrorism and the beheading of civilians. Consequently, the link between bombs and religion is of their own making and unsurprisingly makes religion a legitimate target for political satire in the West.

There is too much ambivilence in the ME towards acts of terrorism to give the West a clear lead on whether Islam is or is not linked to terrorism. In Iraq for instance, the attacks against UK and US troops are understandable if unpleasant. However, the logic behind blowing up Shia children by Sunni bombers is completely beyond me. While this continues to be the case issues like this will arise again and again.

With regards the boycott of European goods, the ME is free to buy what it likes from where it likes. However, I am intrigued by the situation in Palestine as the EU is the biggest contributer to the Palestinian State at about $750m a year. Presumably, they no longer want our money.

I wonder how many of those protesting really know what the pictures look like and what the issues being addressed are. It seems they are more concerned about wanting to be offended by the West than actually caring about a resolution.
    Cogito cogito ergo cogito sum

5. The Drawing Room   -   #115
    are you saying we should try to be more understanding to how they feel?

I agree with you on the part about them not caring about a resolution. What are the politicians doing about this (ME)? Wouldn't they care how their citizens are acting against a trading partner? This kind of reminds me about the riots in Paris.

6. The Drawing Room   -   #116
    thewizeard's Avatar re-member BT Rep: +1
    Nevertheless, I do feel that "Dartagnan" feeling rising in me. Next we will be told that our girls and women will have to wear those things on their heads, what do they call them...hijabs?

Europe's problems are beginning to accumulate though, what with us thinking of cutting off funds to the Palastine's Hamas and Iran withdrawing their capital and investments from Europe.

7. The Drawing Room   -   #117
    ahctlucabbuS's Avatar <
    Quote Originally Posted by Biggles
    In Jordan, one of their newspapers has shown the pictures and called for tolerance and reflection.
    I believe the guy responsible for that view were later sacked!

8. The Drawing Room   -   #118
    Busyman's Avatar Use Logic Or STFU!!!
    FUCK THEM!

As I said, their thinking is screwed. They blame an entire nation on the acts of one to some.

They kill other Muslims..so their rationale for getting pissed at us is screwed.
    Talk about getting offended, what about flag burning?
    They need to stop worshipping a prophet...their own religion says he's just a prophet.
    Silly bitch, your weapons cannot harm me. Don't you know who I am? I'm the Juggernaut, Bitchhhh!

Flies Like An Arrow, Flies Like An Apple
    ---12323---4552-----
    2133--STRENGTH--8310
    344---5--5301---3232

9. The Drawing Room   -   #119
    bawa hasn't posted for a while

10. The Drawing Room   -   #120
    Busyman's Avatar Use Logic Or STFU!!!
    Quote Originally Posted by maebach
    bawa hasn't posted for a while
    He doesn't post often anyway.
    Silly bitch, your weapons cannot harm me. Don't you know who I am? I'm the Juggernaut, Bitchhhh!

Flies Like An Arrow, Flies Like An Apple
    ---12323---4552-----
    2133--STRENGTH--8310
    344---5--5301---3232

Page 12 of 37 FirstFirst ... 2910111213141522 ... LastLast