Page 14 of 37 FirstFirst ... 41112131415161724 ... LastLast

Thread: boycotts of Danish goods in middle East!

ahctlucabbuS's Avatar <
    Quote Originally Posted by JPaul
    Strictly speaking, if they burned down the Danish embassy and plundered the Norwegian embassy, then the acts were carried out on Danish and Norwegian soil. Hopefully nobody was murdered when they did this.
    Nobody were. The Norwegian embassy did burn down though. At the moment they're evacuating all personel from the country.

link with video
    Last edited by ahctlucabbuS; 02-04-2006 at 09:36 PM.

2. The Drawing Room   -   #132
    j2k4's Avatar en(un)lightened
    Quote Originally Posted by maebach
    Quote Originally Posted by j2k4
    Okay, I'll ask this very, very plainly, since I'm currently treading about amongst you lot of thickos:

Why do we tippy-toe around the issue of religious conquest as practiced by fundamentalist Islamist whack-jobs?

It is of an undeniably religious nature.

It is insidious, intrusive and intolerant.

It has become all-pervading, and promulgates under the guise of legitimate immigration.

It is being committed by people of a dusky hue.

Have I missed anything?
    Can you use smaller words next time

I think that the western world should know by now, how serious religion is to them (ME). We should stop picking on them, why should we keep making fun of them (that's how they see it). We're mocking the most important thing to those people. The best thing might be to leave them alone. After all these riots and what not, the ME has lost a trading partner and maybe more.
    They could keep their own counsel on such matters and still get the message across.

Example:

If they forewent trade, etc., it would surely not go unnoticed, correct?

Do you think the Danes could/would ignore that circumstance, preferring to wait for their embassies, et.al. to burn before they take note?

While we wait for cooler heads to prevail (as with the terrorist/religious interface), we find the cooler heads to be cowed by the violence instead.

One of the world's largest religions held hostage by a microscopic and dispeptic sub-group?

Is it that, or are they just shy, do you think?
    "Researchers have already cast much darkness on the subject, and if they continue their investigations, we shall soon know nothing at all about it."

-Mark Twain

3. The Drawing Room   -   #133
    maebach's Avatar Team FST Captain
    I still dont understand

I feel stupid talking to you guys.

4. The Drawing Room   -   #134
    Proud Canadian!
    whoever the fools were who destroyed the embassies in syria are not following islam properly. im a muslim, and while i am upset over denmark and other european countries for publishing those pictures, destroying buildings is going way to over the line. the quran (quran is for muslims like bibles to christianity) strictly prohibits any acts of terrorism and or violence such as this. Therefore, i do not like people destroying buildings and doing killings in the name of Allah, but i also think that the european countries could have done a better role in their part to make sure this didnt happen.

5. The Drawing Room   -   #135
    JPaul's Avatar Fat Secret Agent
    Quote Originally Posted by infared
    but i also think that the european countries could have done a better role in their part to make sure this didnt happen.
    So Islamic countries have the right to apply censorship to newspapers in Europe.

Fine, could you give your women equal rights please.

Not that I want to force my values on you, or 'owt.

6. The Drawing Room   -   #136
    Quote Originally Posted by maebach
    I still dont understand

I feel stupid talking to you guys.
    Please don't.

Let's see...

Christian religion has, over it's history, a bit of a mean-streak, born of conquests , crusades and basically oppressive behaviors; this tendency created a lot of ill-will between and amongst the crusading factions and those they intended to convert.

The strategy was simple:

March, on a very war-like footing, into any "primitive" society and re-create it in whatever subservient fashion suited.

To make a long story short, the upshot was a dilution of such religious activity, due to widely varying opinions among the conquerers and conquered as to just what was proper for religion to do to, or expect from, it's adherents.

This dilution has had the effect of taking the starch out of aggressive Christian conversion, and the largest efforts taken on behalf of Christian religion these days are of the type that help those who need it most.

Christian religions continue, however, to suffer the slings and arrows of their past misadventure, and race (white European/American vs. "any other color") has been injected into the issue, as well as the complications arising from western support of the Israeli state in the geographic cradle of Islam.

Comes now the exportation of Islam to the rest of the world under the guise of innocent immigation, and, apart from the objectionable terrorist factions, there is a commitment on the part of larger Islam to expand, envelope, and extinguish other religions, and a distinct lack of any compulsion to recognize Israel in any way.

Now, as Christianity is still viewed askance for it's past, why is it that, given this as a prime historical example, no one draws any parallels to an expansionist tendency Islam does not effectively or officially disavow?

Any sentiments to the contrary are almost whispered, and in any case are no more than anecdotal.

What are we to think or conclude of all this?
    "Researchers have already cast much darkness on the subject, and if they continue their investigations, we shall soon know nothing at all about it."

-Mark Twain

7. The Drawing Room   -   #137
    maebach's Avatar Team FST Captain
    Infared a had a point, which basically reinforces mine on how the western countries shouldn't pick on islam. We know that they're (ME people) gonna go out of control, so why encourage them?

I think I understand j2k4, but we're goin out so I'll summarize what I understand later.

thanks.
    Last edited by maebach; 02-04-2006 at 11:05 PM.

8. The Drawing Room   -   #138
    Proud Canadian!
    So Islamic countries have the right to apply censorship to newspapers in Europe.
    No. I fully support freedom of expression and such, but attacking Islam by depicting the Prophet with rockets isnt really helping anyone, is disrespectful and isnt true.

Our women already have equal rights in Islam. Go to countries such as Pakistan, you will see that they are allowed to do anything that men do, vote, drive, run for President/Prime Minister (already have had a women prime minister), etc. Its just that some hard core radical countries such as Saudi Arab don't want to give them the rights they deserve, even though Quran specifically states that both men and women are equal.

9. The Drawing Room   -   #139
    Granting I've picked a bit of a side issue (that anti-Christian rhetoric is at it's usual high ebb, especially here in the States, and Christian aid, as in Africa, is somewhat under-appreciated), my salient point is that those who take up for Islamic freedom of expression are strangely silent when comes time to speak out over terrororism, Israel, and Islamic expansion.

Are you all Muslims, or not?

If you disagree with fundamentalist intolerance and terrorism, why not firmly dissociate yourselves from them, and speak out against the fundamentalists?

Why is Bin Laden so popular with the Arab "street"?

Why is every other child born to a Muslim family named Usama?

If you'll excuse the phrase, something is rotten in Denmark.

-Mark Twain

10. The Drawing Room   -   #140
    JPaul's Avatar Fat Secret Agent
    Quote Originally Posted by infared
    No. I fully support freedom of expression and such, but attacking Islam by depicting the Prophet with rockets isnt really helping anyone, is disrespectful and isnt true.

Our women already have equal rights in Islam. Go to countries such as Pakistan, you will see that they are allowed to do anything that men do, vote, drive, run for President/Prime Minister (already have had a women prime minister), etc. Its just that some hard core radical countries such as Saudi Arab don't want to give them the rights they deserve, even though Quran specifically states that both men and women are equal.
    Oh sorry, did I tar a whole group of people with the same brush, based on what a small section did.

Heaven forfend that anyone would do that. Like burning down buildings, risking lives and imposing sanctions because a newspaper printed a cartoon. That would just be mental

What was I thinking.

Page 14 of 37 FirstFirst ... 41112131415161724 ... LastLast