Page 27 of 37 FirstFirst ... 1724252627282930 ... LastLast

Thread: boycotts of Danish goods in middle East!

JPaul's Avatar Fat Secret Agent
    Quote Originally Posted by j2k4
    Quote Originally Posted by JPaul

Which Prince
    Why, the Hugh Laurie version.

Is there another?

maebach-

Not even close...
    Is it a Blackadder thing

2. The Drawing Room   -   #262
    j2k4's Avatar en(un)lightened

Why, the Hugh Laurie version.

Is there another?

maebach-

Not even close...
    Is it a Blackadder thing
    Yes...sorry.
    "Researchers have already cast much darkness on the subject, and if they continue their investigations, we shall soon know nothing at all about it."

-Mark Twain

3. The Drawing Room   -   #263
    jetje's Avatar former star
    Just had an interesting debate at work, short version it all came down on this, wich i believe is food for thought;

Freedom of speech is infinite, so you have the right to curse, swear, say blasphemy, insult whatever you want it is oké! freedom of speech you know...

Thing that seperates civilized people from non civilized is just the simple fact that some know where to stop using 'their rights' an some don't.

ooh and some people just have very long toes...
    they get stepped on very easy
    but that's just the islamic part of this world

freedom of speech you know
    Last edited by jetje; 02-15-2006 at 03:23 PM.

4. The Drawing Room   -   #264
    Quote Originally Posted by jetje

Freedom of speech is infinite, so you have the right to curse, swear, say blasphemy, insult whatever you want it is oké! freedom of speech you know...
    Not in the UK it isn't, freedom of speech has it's limits and to go beyond those is a criminal offence.

5. The Drawing Room   -   #265
    Busyman's Avatar Use Logic Or STFU!!!
    Just had an interesting debate at work, short version it all came down on this, wich i believe is food for thought;

Thing that seperates civilized people from non civilized is just the simple fact that some know where to stop using 'their rights' an some don't.

ooh and some people just have very long toes...
    they get stepped on very easy
    but that's just the islamic part of this world

freedom of speech you know
    Over here, one cannot incite a riot, solicite prostitution, solicite murder for hire, talk of harming the President or threaten any person with bodily harm, yell "BOMB" on an airplane, etc.

Freedom of speech is hardly infinite.

Critism or caricature of a person from a book is freedom of speech but even then there are limits.

Say a person went into Muslim neighborhood with a big sign that depicted Muhammed with the bomb in his turban. That person would be trying to incite those in the neighborhood.
    Silly bitch, your weapons cannot harm me. Don't you know who I am? I'm the Juggernaut, Bitchhhh!

Flies Like An Arrow, Flies Like An Apple
    ---12323---4552-----
    2133--STRENGTH--8310
    344---5--5301---3232

6. The Drawing Room   -   #266
    jetje's Avatar former star

Not in the UK it isn't, freedom of speech has it's limits and to go beyond those is a criminal offence.
    Then you don't have freedom of speech over there! As i said it's infinite, soon as someone forbids you to speak about subject (how logical that may seem) it's not freedom of speech anymore This is exactly why we cannot tolerate that some Ayathollahs tells us (western world) what we are allowed to say. It's the begin of the end. There is no such thing as partial freedom of speech.

Quote Originally Posted by Busyman
    Over here, one cannot incite a riot, solicite prostitution, solicite murder for hire, talk of harming the President or threaten any person with bodily harm, yell "BOMB" on an airplane, etc.

Critism or caricature of a person from a book is freedom of speech but even then there are limits.

Say a person went into Muslim neighborhood with a big sign that depicted Muhammed with the bomb in his turban. That person would be trying to incite those in the neighborhood.
    How logical your reasoning sounds, it's not true. Freedom of speech is infinite. It's the people who should decide what to say or what not to say. Good healthy thinking should be your own personal barier. The neighborhood in your case now is the world (thanks to globalization). Why would anyone be incited because of a sign... long toes, i say..
    Over here in the Netherlands there are even debates that freedom of speech gives you the right to insult. Wich in my believes is true.
    Not that you need to do that all the time, this is where the common sense needs to step forward. But yes the right to do it...

edit:
    This is true censorship and a really big limitation of your own free choice. Well i heared about the Patriot act... That's only one step ahead from total control. All possible thanks to fear that governements like to spread around. Fear for terrorism, fear for other religions, fear for .. well the unknown.

I don't understand the USA way of freedoms anyways. Why does a tv station broadcasts a talk show where they beep out almost half of the spoken words (Jerry Springer) Why censor that? Same goes for lyrics at the Music channels (MTV and stuff like that) Don't show it then or leave the original in tact.
    No moral talk will help, people that think it's wrong should not watch it or listen to it. Well that brings us back to the cartoons.....
    Last edited by jetje; 02-15-2006 at 08:45 PM.

7. The Drawing Room   -   #267
    Busyman's Avatar Use Logic Or STFU!!!

How logical your reasoning sounds, it's not true. Freedom of speech is infinite. It's the people who should decide what to say or what not to say. Good healthy thinking should be your own personal barier. The neighborhood in your case now is the world (thanks to globalization). Why would anyone be incited because of a sign... long toes, i say..
    Over here in the Netherlands there are even debates that freedom of speech gives you the right to insult. Wich in my believes is true.
    Not that you need to do that all the time, this is where the common sense needs to step forward. But yes the right to do it...
    The neighborhood is not the world and what do you mean, "it's not true"?

You wanna get technical, freedom of speech is infinite. You can say what you want and some of what you say will be illegal.

I never said you are not able to insult.
    edit:
    This is true censorship and a really big limitation of your own free choice. Well i heared about the Patriot act... That's only one step ahead from total control. All possible thanks to fear that governements like to spread around. Fear for terrorism, fear for other religions, fear for .. well the unknown.

I don't understand the USA way of freedoms anyways. Why does a tv station broadcasts a talk show where they beep out almost half of the spoken words (Jerry Springer) Why censor that? Same goes for lyrics at the Music channels (MTV and stuff like that) Don't show it then or leave the original in tact.
    No moral talk will help, people that think it's wrong should not watch it or listen to it. Well that brings us back to the cartoons.....
    Many believe children shouldn't be exposed to that. If you think that's ok, good for your country.

HTH did the Patriot Act come into this?
    Last edited by Busyman; 02-15-2006 at 09:28 PM.
    Silly bitch, your weapons cannot harm me. Don't you know who I am? I'm the Juggernaut, Bitchhhh!

Flies Like An Arrow, Flies Like An Apple
    ---12323---4552-----
    2133--STRENGTH--8310
    344---5--5301---3232

8. The Drawing Room   -   #268
    I don't think freedom of speech should be absolute. People cannot be allowed to say anything they want.

Well to be accurate they can say anything they want, however the rest of society is free to say "that is unacceptable" and do something about it. For example someone addressing a mob and inciting race hate is wrong. Therefore we need laws to stop it.

Again, they can do it, but we can stop them. It's like any other crime. Yes people can commit them but then something can be done about it.

9. The Drawing Room   -   #269
    j2k4's Avatar en(un)lightened
    you don't have freedom of speech over there! As i said it's infinite, soon as someone forbids you to speak about subject (how logical that may seem) it's not freedom of speech anymore This is exactly why we cannot tolerate that some Ayathollahs tells us (western world) what we are allowed to say. It's the begin of the end. There is no such thing as partial freedom of speech.
    I see your logic, JJ.

Tell me:

Do you think Theo Van Gogh was a victim of his own freedom of speech or someone else's?
    "Researchers have already cast much darkness on the subject, and if they continue their investigations, we shall soon know nothing at all about it."

-Mark Twain

10. The Drawing Room   -   #270
    Biggles's Avatar Looking for loopholes
    you don't have freedom of speech over there! As i said it's infinite, soon as someone forbids you to speak about subject (how logical that may seem) it's not freedom of speech anymore This is exactly why we cannot tolerate that some Ayathollahs tells us (western world) what we are allowed to say. It's the begin of the end. There is no such thing as partial freedom of speech.
    I see your logic, JJ.

Tell me:

Do you think Theo Van Gogh was a victim of his own freedom of speech or someone else's?
    Therein lies the problem. The twonk who killed him had nothing to say.
    Cogito cogito ergo cogito sum

Page 27 of 37 FirstFirst ... 1724252627282930 ... LastLast