Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: We Made Our First Mini Music Videos

Sup,

I'm mike b, half of the drum and bass group "Negative pH" and lately we've been moving along with our promotional end of our music and we started making promo vids... the problem is... how do we get it seen? Well, we are gonna start burning mini-vcd's and start distributing them all over the island and also to some of our fans on the mainland and in other countries... but one of the best, and fastest ways, is to use kazaa and our website.. so here I am asking a favor....

please look up "negative ph" and hopefully they will show up (negative ph promo 01.avi, negative ph promo 02.avi) if not then try and search for user "negativeph" (but i dont think its possible to search for users)

I dont like spamming but when you're desperate to be heard sometimes you gotta do the nasty heh

So anyways heres the link to our site http://www.negativeph.com

Any help is greatly appreciated!

Thanks

mike b

2. Music   -   #2
    Checked them both out.....nice.

But I must ask.....and please don't take this wrong.

How do you as an artist feel or going to feel when one person around here buys a CD of yours and starts spreading it around?Because that is what this community is about...file sharing.

Most of us will go buy an album from an artist if we really like their Music but not all of us.

Just would like to get an artist point of view on this subject as it tears at me sometimes and have talked about it before.Are we helping an artist or hurting them?And how can we help shape the future for both sides?

3. Music   -   #3
    Afronaut's Avatar Xenu
    Really good questions. I've been struggling with the whole concept of trying to share my
    own music through kazaa and SS, and getting no money for my work.
    But as an unkown dude who plays guitar, im just trying to get some PR out of this.
    Maybe one day somebody gets into my music or my playing and just maybe i will get that
    email/phone-call or PM etc. and things are starting to roll my way (or your way)
    When i decided to use kazaa I did set out to spread some tunes what i have done in the past, just to get it out to ppl and hear some feedback, i also got some "more serious" songs in my pocket wich im not gonna share, i may need them when i get that phone-call...
    Wait, things might evolve somehow:
    But what if i got to play in a cd that gets to be popular, and I would hang out here or in SS and seeing ppl share that cd, maybe that would raise some odd feelings i quess...
    Thats what p2p is about, sharing, but there is also the other angle, what if music would be my main income? (its not at the moment) and i would lose money when ppl i got to know a little, my internjet buddies would just share my music? Been a buddie is cool but been a buddie without a bread wouldn't?
    Well, here's some pointers:
    If i was famous ( ), i would get money from royalties, gigs etc. selling cd's is not the only source where money comes. I think if CD prizes would come down a lot , ppl would buy more, cd-quality is cd-quality or if artists actually would get a "bigger piece from cake", not just big record companys, maybe that would make more money going around in artists pockets. I could be wrong too.
    Hard to tell where p2p is headind, but i know it aint gonna dissappear, might ghance the form but its been around since c-tapes, heck, someday we'll maybe share wav files, go figure...
    How did Metallica got famous? They let ppl make bootlegs etc. word got around and then they sued Napster for the same reason they got famous? A bit like biting the hand that feeds you. Now, Madonna has been asking ppl on some filesharing app 'What the hell you think you're doing?" with PM when ppl been downloading her latest album.
    Difference is, im not rich and im not bitching, but should that change if was to be famous and rich?

Anybody has any ideas on these things? Is there a politically right place for an artist to stand on this matter? Is it really black and white, either for or against p2p?

Kippis:
    -GS-
    Spoiler: Show

4. Music   -   #4
    Afronaut's Avatar Xenu
    Oh yeah, forgot to mention, cool vids, specially the one with the Teac machine
    Cool site too...

-GS-

5. Music   -   #5
    Originally posted by MusicWorld@22 April 2003 - 09:43
    How do you as an artist feel or going to feel when one person around here buys a CD of yours and starts spreading it around?Because that is what this community is about...file sharing.

Most of us will go buy an album from an artist if we really like their Music but not all of us.

Just would like to get an artist point of view on this subject as it tears at me sometimes and have talked about it before.Are we helping an artist or hurting them?And how can we help shape the future for both sides?
    Well we are fortunate in this case because we are not popular enough that people would rip our album and then that others would even download it.. so we keep the album exclusive tracks tucked away and the singles we spread like wildfire. BUT if we did put out a cd ourselves and someone ripped it and made the whole thing available.. it would hurt us, why? because we arent THAT popular where, yeah even if a million people downloaded the album, there is still 500,000 that actually purchased it.. in our case it would be that there was 1000 that downloaded it and maybe only a small handful that purchased the actual album you know? If we had mass distribution and mtv exposure and massive radio airplay and all that then we would still make some money out of the deal.. but since we dont.. then it would only hurt us.

I hope this makes sense.... i just woke up about 2 minutes ago

btw im glad you liked the videos and sorry about the "fake named files" as they are another tool to spread the promos (and it actually works )
    and thanks for the serious interest in what the artist really thinks because that is not something you see alot these days

--mike b

p.s. I will respond to the second post when I wake up a bit more

6. Music   -   #6
    Afronaut's Avatar Xenu
    Just downloaded your promos, gonna add them in Kazaa shared folder, next to my own songs.
    Should i rename them (i think not) or just add some specific info on kazaa to peeps to find them?
    You see, filenames like promo_1 and promo_2 doesnt tell about the band a lot...

And good morning
    -GS-

7. Music   -   #7
    well if you look at my shared folder you might notice that there are a couple files that have semi famous model names on them that also have the same file size if you can name them according to that scheme.. or even using those names (be sure to check the file sizes.. the "promo 01" is the "[model name here] 02" files and vice versa.. this is wrong i know but its also the best way to spread the love

8. Music   -   #8
    Afronaut's Avatar Xenu
    I kept them filenames the same, promo_1 and promo_2 but i wrote more info
    in the edit field in the "My Kazaa Lite" tags. So if ppl are looking for negative ph, they oughta find them files,
    Added in the Description of the file area:

"Negative Ph's new promo videos are out, i got these from http://www.negativeph.com please dl and share em! This is the High quality version. There is 2 promos out now at 22. of April 2003, promo_1 and promo_2. .mov files. Runs in Quicktime."

Also, took the liberty to rate them Excellent !
    Hope it would give them a boost...

-GS-

9. Music   -   #9
    Poster
    I would just say that perhaps the resolution of the videos ought to be increased. They are VCD quality at the moment and an added bonus would be to perhaps increase them to DVD 720x576 resolution.

10. Music   -   #10
    I have some dv quality videos (720x480 or something) but they are about 200 megs a piece.. so getting those out probably wont happen since i dont have a t-1 :| but when we start distributing these things on mini-vcd's i will certainly look into dvd-r duplication prices and hopefully we can afford to do some mass producing that way... we also have a longer.. much long montage of audio/video 100% negative pH material in the works that we will be using to help promo the band and the website.

btw thanks guitar-slinger for the support! much appreciated

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast