Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Oscar nominations

brokeback will probably win but who knows. It seems to be the most popular at this time.

2. Movies & TV   -   #22
    Quote Originally Posted by Busyman
    I haven't seen the film but it's a love story and I'm not really into love stories.
    Add man-on-man action to it and it really makes it a NOT SEE movie.
    LoL yeah, you share that same opinion with many people out there.

3. Movies & TV   -   #23
    Busyman's Avatar Use Logic Or STFU!!!
    Quote Originally Posted by curious george
    I haven't seen the film but it's a love story and I'm not really into love stories.
    Add man-on-man action to it and it really makes it a NOT SEE movie.
    LoL yeah, you share that same opinion with many people out there.
    I have no prejudice against a gay person. It's just that I find men kissing repugnant. Other people find slasher films repugnant.

I DO understand that it's probably mainly about a forbidden type of love and that this is considered groundbreaking using popular actors.
    Silly bitch, your weapons cannot harm me. Don't you know who I am? I'm the Juggernaut, Bitchhhh!

Flies Like An Arrow, Flies Like An Apple
    ---12323---4552-----
    2133--STRENGTH--8310
    344---5--5301---3232

4. Movies & TV   -   #24
    Quote Originally Posted by j2k4
    Here's all you need to know about the Oscars:

The Passion of the Christ made over $600,000,000 but received no (as in "0") Oscar nominations.

It was regarded as a great film even by many atheists, and it's technical achievement was second to none.

I believe Brokeback Mountain has yet to break $50 million, and was, until the nominations were announced, being seen in about nine cities in the U.S.

Brokeback Mountain has garnered eight nominations, and will surely win at least a few.

Say what you want about the proportion of gays in the world (much less in Hollywood), the number, whatever it may be, is positively dwarfed by the number of Christians in the world, though almost certainly not in Hollywood.

Draw your own conclusions.
    How much money is made should have nothing to with Oscar nominations. I like the fact that small budget and linited release movies can win an Oscar.

However, I totally agree with you about you last statement. Also the "0" Oscar nominations was ridiculous (and I didn't know that ).
    Last edited by Busyman; 02-22-2006 at 01:54 PM.
    Silly bitch, your weapons cannot harm me. Don't you know who I am? I'm the Juggernaut, Bitchhhh!

---12323---4552-----
    2133--STRENGTH--8310
    344---5--5301---3232

5. Movies & TV   -   #25
    Retired
    After reading this list me noticed that i haven't seen most of the nominated films

I'm not gonna watch Brokeback Mountain because i don't like drama / romance films.

Crash was one of the best movies i've seen in 2005

Gonna watch these movies next weekend:
    King Kong
    Syriana
    Munich
    Good Night, and Good Luck

Anyone seen Capote?
    Last edited by {I}{K}{E}; 02-22-2006 at 06:34 PM.

6. Movies & TV   -   #26
    Cheese's Avatar Poster

The Passion of the Christ made over $600,000,000 but received no (as in "0") Oscar nominations.
    The film received three (as in "3") Oscar nominations by my count. It didn't win any mind. Pretty good for a snuff-movie.

7. Movies & TV   -   #27
    Quote Originally Posted by {I}{K}{E}
    After reading this list me noticed that i haven't seen most of the nominated films

I'm not gonna watch Brokeback Mountain because i don't like drama / romance films.

King Kong
    Syriana
    Munich

Anyone seen Capote?
    I've seen Crash (very good movie!!).

I wanna see the ones in bold.

Not interested in the last 2.
    Last edited by Busyman; 02-23-2006 at 04:51 AM.

---12323---4552-----
    2133--STRENGTH--8310
    344---5--5301---3232

8. Movies & TV   -   #28
    j2k4's Avatar en(un)lightened
    Quote Originally Posted by Cheese

The film received three (as in "3") Oscar nominations by my count. It didn't win any mind. Pretty good for a snuff-movie.
    That's not the way I remember it, Cheese.

Busyman-

The numbers have nothing to do with it other than anecdotally; try, however, to find a movie with those type of gate receipts without even an Oscar nomination.

The Oscar "strategy" over Brokeback Mountain goes back a couple of years, and it's release was geographically scrutinized by it's producers so as to minimally satisfy the Oscar prerequisites for qualification.

Nine cities?

The screenplay was inspired by the short story of the same name written by E. Annie Proulx, and comes from a book called Close Range-Wyoming Stories, a book I happen to own an original copy of, and which I count among my favorites.

Annie Proulx is a phenomenal writer, and I recommend the book to any and all.

Edit:

Cheese-

Please excuse my oversight...The Passion... received nominations for Cinematography, Makeup, and Music.

I don't regard those awards as proper recognition, however you are right and I am wrong.

My apologies.
    Last edited by j2k4; 02-22-2006 at 09:59 PM.
    "Researchers have already cast much darkness on the subject, and if they continue their investigations, we shall soon know nothing at all about it."

-Mark Twain

9. Movies & TV   -   #29
    Quote Originally Posted by Cheese

That's not the way I remember it, Cheese.

Busyman-

The numbers have nothing to do with it other than anecdotally; try, however, to find a movie with those type of gate receipts without even an Oscar nomination.

The Oscar "strategy" over Brokeback Mountain goes back a couple of years, and it's release was geographically scrutinized by it's producers so as to minimally satisfy the Oscar prerequisites for qualification.

Nine cities?

The screenplay was inspired by the short story of the same name written by E. Annie Proulx, and comes from a book called Close Range-Wyoming Stories, a book I happen to own an original copy of, and which I count among my favorites.

Annie Proulx is a phenomenal writer, and I recommend the book to any and all.

Edit:

Cheese-

Please excuse my oversight...The Passion... received nominations for Cinematography, Makeup, and Music.

I don't regard those awards as proper recognition, however you are right and I am wrong.

My apologies.
    Yeah I peeped the limited release. Pretty "slick" for teh gay movie.

Funny you did say technical achievement and that's what the Oscar nominations were for.

I could have cared less to see the movie. I was over my gf's uncle's house and (he being the man of the house) wanted to watch POTC. I watched a little bit and was bored to tears. I never got to the ass-whippin parts.

Plus as many know, me and subtitles don't get along.

I'm not looking forward to Apocalypto either.

---12323---4552-----
    2133--STRENGTH--8310
    344---5--5301---3232

10. Movies & TV   -   #30
    Retired
    Quote Originally Posted by {I}{K}{E}

King Kong
    Syriana
    Munich

Anyone seen Capote?
    I've seen Crash (very good movie!!).

I wanna see the ones in bold.

Not interested in the last 2.
    Syriana was boring

King Kong was ok. the special effects were awesome. 7,5/10