Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: What's so "free" about this

vidcc's Avatar there is no god
    Quote Originally Posted by j2k4
    Quote Originally Posted by vidcc
    Oh... did they all volunteer to fight in Iraq then? Soldiers volunteer to defend their country, that doesn't mean that they all believe every war is just.
    I think this will do.

This could be fun, too, as I see it offers many opportunities for selective parsing and shading.

When you sign up, you are obligated to fight, whenever and wherever, or you go to the stockade to await your date with a tribunal.
    Yes now please show me where i siad they are not obligated. There is no parsing but on your part here.

Read it:

It says Soldiers volunteer to defend their country

Then that doesn't mean that they all believe every war is just.

At no point did it say thay they will refuse to fight or that they feel they are not obligated to fight any war they don't agree with.....you said that not I.

better add this in case you feel i select just parts :

Oh... did they all volunteer to fight in Iraq then?

People join up for many reasons that doesn't mean that they all believe every war is just. not all believe the Iraq war is the kind of war they should be fighting "to defend their country". In other words they feel that Iraq war not a war of need but of political choice etc.
    Last edited by vidcc; 02-11-2006 at 03:19 PM.

it’s an election with no Democrats, in one of the whitest states in the union, where rich candidates pay $35 for your votes. Or, as Republicans call it, their vision for the future.

2. The Drawing Room   -   #22
    Skiz's Avatar (_8(I)
    story
    Cindy Sheehan was arrested Tuesday in the House gallery after refusing to cover up a T-shirt bearing an anti-war slogan before President Bush's State of the Union address.
    the T-shirt said, "2,245 Dead. How many more?" -- a reference to the number of U.S. troops killed in Iraq.
    When the president is giving a speech and includes a message that "we are fighting the enemies of freedom" why was she not allowed to wear this "statement"?

I will add that I'm not sure if there is a rule barring all political messages so it may be the case that if she was wearing a "we fight them over there so we don't have to fight them here" slogan then she would have suffered the same treatment, however to me this smacks of censorship.

She was not standing up and shouting, she was not causing a disturbance.

Edit:

Apparently the wife of congressman young was asked to leave because she was wearing a "support our troops" t.shirt. So there isn't a bias.

Obviously you didn't watch the state of the union address, because she was standing up and shouting the moment President Bush was introduced - she couldn't even wait for for his full introduction. When watching, I didn't even see him walking out because the camera moved over to her. Might want to check your facts.

the war and support of the troops

sheehan supports the troops in her way by making sure we know how many died (I don't get how one can support the war and wish to hide such costs) and by campaigning to get them out of harms way. You may not agree with how she supports them but she is not anti troops. In this she stood on principle and refused to cover her shirt or leave.

the other claimed to support the troops and the war but didn't think it worth making a stand.
    Be sure to ask the next male/female troop that you meet whether they agree with Sheehan's "support".
    Last edited by Skizo; 02-11-2006 at 03:23 PM.

yo

3. The Drawing Room   -   #23
    JPaul's Avatar Fat Secret Agent
    Quote Originally Posted by JPaul

That's just silly and hopefully you know it.

You join the Army, you go where your told, everyone knows that before they join.
    As with Kev please point to where I said They don't have to go where they are told.
    Where you say they didn't volunteer to fight in Iraq. By any reading that implies that they have some say when they volunteer, rather than it being unconditional.

Oh and they don't voulnteer to defend their country, they volunteer to fight on it's behalf.
    Last edited by JPaul; 02-11-2006 at 03:23 PM.

4. The Drawing Room   -   #24
    Quote Originally Posted by Skizo

Obviously you didn't watch the state of the union address, because she was standing up and shouting the moment President Bush was introduced - she couldn't even wait for for his full introduction. When watching, I didn't even see him walking out because the camera moved over to her. Might want to check your facts.
    Funny even Limbargh hasn't gone with this..... perhaps this might have been because she was arrested before the speech. Also she made the noise ( this is information after the original post) when she was being challenged by the capitol police, not before.

BTW I did watch it and I didn't see her

Be sure to ask the next male/female troop that you meet whether they agree with Sheehan's "support"
    I know a few personally, some agree some don't...what's your point?
    Last edited by vidcc; 02-11-2006 at 03:34 PM.

it’s an election with no Democrats, in one of the whitest states in the union, where rich candidates pay $35 for your votes. Or, as Republicans call it, their vision for the future.

5. The Drawing Room   -   #25
    As with Kev please point to where I said They don't have to go where they are told.
    Where you say they didn't volunteer to fight in Iraq. By any reading that implies that they have some say when they volunteer, rather than it being unconditional.
    well I made it clear for those that chose to put their own meaning to what I actually wrote

Oh and they don't voulnteer to defend their country, they volunteer to fight on it's behalf.
    snooze

actually they sign up to defend the Constitution of the United States against all enemies, foreign and domestic;
    Last edited by vidcc; 02-11-2006 at 03:38 PM.

6. The Drawing Room   -   #26
    Skiz's Avatar (_8(I)

BTW I did watch it and I didn't see her
    'nuff said.

I know a few personally, some agre some don't...what's your point?

My point is simple. 99% of troops don't care for her to say it lightly. When the troops don't think it's support, it's not support.
    Last edited by Skizo; 02-11-2006 at 03:36 PM.

yo

7. The Drawing Room   -   #27
    Quote Originally Posted by Skizo

My point is simple. 99% of troops don't care for her to say it lightly. When the troops don't think it's support, it's not support.
    WHere did you get that figure? Ken melman, dick cheney, karl rove...... or some other well know truth economist?

8. The Drawing Room   -   #28
    well I made it clear for those that chose to put their own meaning to what I actually wrote
    The important thing in communication is what people understand you to have said, not what you thought you said.
    Last edited by JPaul; 02-11-2006 at 03:51 PM.

9. The Drawing Room   -   #29

actually they sign up to defend the Constitution of the United States against all enemies, foreign and domestic;
    By doing what they are told by their Commander in Chief.

10. The Drawing Room   -   #30

By doing what they are told by their Commander in Chief.
    Show me where I disputed that

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast