Thread: Is it legal to sell a compy with s/ware on it ?

Hi Guys

I understand that most software is sold with a right to use licence to the original purchaser on a certain machine.

I undertand that if the machine is sold you are not alllowed to sell the software on it as well o rto even leave it on the machine.

Is this the case ?

My reason for asking is that I have a friend who bought a computer from a dealer who buys bulk computers from companies and government departments and then sells them to the public. They are sold without any software on them.

PS please at this stage just comment as to whether you think this a correct intertepatation of the software licenscing laws.

(Not if you hink it is right or fair - that will come next !!)

Regards

Digby

2. Software & Hardware   -   #2
    vampiro's Avatar Weeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee
    you can sell a pc with software on it as long as you give the lienecse to the person who bought it.

3. Software & Hardware   -   #3
    peat moss's Avatar Software Farmer BT Rep: +15BT Rep +15BT Rep +15
    The dealer is offering good prices on used puters . Sans operating system thats normal as their not allowed to offer a o/s .

Even XP home has that BS thing were you have so many hardware changes then you buy a new licence ?

4. Software & Hardware   -   #4
    Wolfmight's Avatar Poster BT Rep: +1
    Quote Originally Posted by peat moss
    The dealer is offering good prices on used puters . Sans operating system thats normal as their not allowed to offer a o/s .

Even XP home has that BS thing were you have so many hardware changes then you buy a new licence ?
    limited hardware changes in XP Home?

Pffft...I'm glad people pirate that o/s.

5. Software & Hardware   -   #5
    Hi guys

Thanks for the replies.

It seems I am right. You are not allowed to sell a used computer with any software on it.

This is because the softwrae is licensced to the originall owner of the machine and they may still be using the software.

I see what you mean about XP and hardware. I think you mean that because XP has been out for so long there have been major upgrades in hardware motherboards and cpu's inthat time that many people will have bought a new machine and therefore have probably paid for XP twice !

Just as an aside. I had ME which you all know is crap and I asked Microsoft for a trade in on on it on XP. You will not be surpised to hear that they declined. I felt I had a genunie case as I paid for an O/S that is known as crap - if it was a car or appliance I would have had a good case.

So getting back to my origanal question,

If it is illegal to sell a machine with software on it that means that the user has to buy an OS and software for it. OK

But what if the machine is too gutless to run XP how can you buy a copy of ME or 98 ? - You can't ! So you would have to go for Linux or piracy !

Regards
    Digby

6. Software & Hardware   -   #6
    dodgy368's Avatar Poster
    Quote Originally Posted by digmen1
    But what if the machine is too gutless to run XP how can you buy a copy of ME or 98 ? - You can't ! So you would have to go for Linux or piracy !

Regards
    Digby
    If it won't run xp then ya don't buy it.

I "found"(didn't steal, got permission to put it in my van) a Pentium3 800ghz pc with 256ram, got it home and stuck winxp pro on it, works perfectly, my point is that this pc was being thrown away and it can run xp, anything that can't run xp should really be chucked in the bin.

7. Software & Hardware   -   #7
    Nevermore's Avatar Pickin' bones
    Quote Originally Posted by dodgy368
    ...anything that can't run xp should really be chucked in the bin.
    No it shouldn't. That's just a waste of a perfectly good system.

Use it on a network to run a print server or dhcp server.
    Use it to run database software.
    Donate it to charity.
    Give it to a school for the students to pull apart and rebuild.
    Use it to learn how to run Linux or BSD.
    Install a bunch of old games on it for the kids to play (this has the added benefit of saving your nice new PC from getting sticky little fingerprints all over it).

The list goes on and on.
    Old doesn't mean broken or useless.