Your Ad Here Your Ad Here
Results 1 to 8 of 8

Thread: Today's Software Update. Any "top-dawg" newcomers?

  1. #1
    Wolfmight's Avatar Poster BT Rep: +1
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Location
    Location: Location:
    Posts
    5,873

    Arrow

    I havn't been looking around for TuneUp programs in awhile, and I'm wondering which ones everyone uses now of days.

    Currently, here's what I've been using for quite awhile:

    File Cleanup: CCleaner (latest version)

    Registry Cleanup: TuneUp Ultilities 2006 (close to the latest, but I've got a pirated version, so I don't want to risk an update that shuts it down)

    Defrag: Diskeeper 10 (latest version. I have a feeling this program will be the top dawg for awhile.)

    Spyware: AdAware and SpyBot S&D (latest versions. I have a feeling theres a better one though.)


    --

    Web Browser: Both Firefox and Avant Browser. (I got Avant recently, and it's awesome! Avant and Firefox have their advantages over each other, so I use em both. Firefox still has the best "Ad" and "Pop-up" blocking.)

    Email: Mozilla Thunderbird (latest version...filters 98% of my spam emails...woot wooT!)

    Media Player: Winamp (Can't tell you how nice the Media Library is. I have a perfectly organized selection of over 4,000 mp3s. It's also got "Free TV Channles"...heh, free broadcast porn too. )

    Documents/Office: OpenOffice (latest version. I believe Microsoft OfficeXP loads faster, but I'm too lazy to download that. OpenOffice comes with a great bundle of software.)

    P2P: Emule & Emule F-Mod (F-Mod has some advantages, but it still lacks a working "video screenshot preview", which Emule, on the other hand, has. It's where you browse someone's list of files, then request screenshots from a video file you havn't downloaded yet. This feature hasn't been implemented into the actual search results yet, but it will someday)

    Torrent: uTorrent (Compact, yet Very Powerful. nuff said)

    Music Ripping: Easy CD-DA Extractor (Easy to use, Works Great!)

    Burning: Nero 7 and 6 (I have a copy of v6 too, because v7 doesn't allow me to preview audio files to burn onto an AudioCD. This is vital and v7 has a major glitch which lacks the function. I can't seem to update it either, because Nero changed the Serial System in the latest version.

    Video, Audio, and Image editing: All Adobe Apps. Premiere, AfterEffects, PhotoshopCS, and Audition. They can all import each other's unique formats too...Premiere accepts .ps files, etc etc)



    Post some other peices of "top-dawg" software for other needs or suggest any "better" programs than the ones I'm already using now.

  2. Software & Hardware   -   #2
    Chewie's Avatar Chew E. Bakke
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Posts
    4,883
    Quote Originally Posted by Wolfmight
    I havn't been looking around for TuneUp programs in awhile, and I'm wondering which ones everyone uses now of days.

    Currently, here's what I've been using for quite awhile:

    File Cleanup: CCleaner (latest version)

    Registry Cleanup: TuneUp Ultilities 2006 (close to the latest, but I've got a pirated version, so I don't want to risk an update that shuts it down)
    I use Ace Utilities v3 for both.

    Quote Originally Posted by Wolfmight
    Defrag: Diskeeper 10 (latest version. I have a feeling this program will be the top dawg for awhile.)
    Raxco Perfectdisk v7

    Quote Originally Posted by Wolfmight
    Spyware: AdAware and SpyBot S&D (latest versions. I have a feeling theres a better one though.)
    XSoftSpy v4.21 along with Adaware & Spybot S&D

    Quote Originally Posted by Wolfmight
    Web Browser: Both Firefox and Avant Browser. (I got Avant recently, and it's awesome! Avant and Firefox have their advantages over each other, so I use em both. Firefox still has the best "Ad" and "Pop-up" blocking.)
    IE v6

    Quote Originally Posted by Wolfmight
    Email: Mozilla Thunderbird (latest version...filters 98% of my spam emails...woot wooT!)
    TheBat! v2.65 for my main email addresses
    Outlook 2003 for my hotmail/msn addresses

    Quote Originally Posted by Wolfmight
    Media Player: Winamp (Can't tell you how nice the Media Library is. I have a perfectly organized selection of over 4,000 mp3s. It's also got "Free TV Channles"...heh, free broadcast porn too. )
    WinAmp for audio
    WMP v9 & PowerDVD v6 for video

    Quote Originally Posted by Wolfmight
    Documents/Office: OpenOffice (latest version. I believe Microsoft OfficeXP loads faster, but I'm too lazy to download that. OpenOffice comes with a great bundle of software.)
    MS Office 2003

    Quote Originally Posted by Wolfmight
    P2P: Emule & Emule F-Mod (F-Mod has some advantages, but it still lacks a working "video screenshot preview", which Emule, on the other hand, has. It's where you browse someone's list of files, then request screenshots from a video file you havn't downloaded yet. This feature hasn't been implemented into the actual search results yet, but it will someday)

    Torrent: uTorrent (Compact, yet Very Powerful. nuff said)
    Shareaza v2.1 but it rearely gets run nowadays

    Quote Originally Posted by Wolfmight
    Music Ripping: Easy CD-DA Extractor (Easy to use, Works Great!)
    Audiograbber v1.83 with the LAME dll

    Quote Originally Posted by Wolfmight
    Burning: Nero 7 and 6 (I have a copy of v6 too, because v7 doesn't allow me to preview audio files to burn onto an AudioCD. This is vital and v7 has a major glitch which lacks the function. I can't seem to update it either, because Nero changed the Serial System in the latest version.
    The last v6 Nero. Haven't tried v7 yet.

    Quote Originally Posted by Wolfmight
    Video, Audio, and Image editing: All Adobe Apps. Premiere, AfterEffects, PhotoshopCS, and Audition. They can all import each other's unique formats too...Premiere accepts .ps files, etc etc)
    Sony Vegas v6 for video editing
    Sony DVD Architect v3 for authoring video DVDs
    Sonic Foundry SoundForge v6 for audio editing
    mp3DirectCut Version 2.0 (beta) for mp3 trimming
    PSP v9 for images (though I also have Adobe CS2 for my daughter who prefers PS)

    Quote Originally Posted by Wolfmight
    Post some other peices of "top-dawg" software for other needs or suggest any "better" programs than the ones I'm already using now.
    Newsbin Pro v5.05 for newsgroup binaries
    yencPost for newsgroup posting
    WinRAR v3.5 for archives
    ACDSee v6 for image viewing
    Agnitum Outpost v2.7 firewall
    Kaspersky v5.03 antivirus
    Xteq X-Setup Pro v6 for system 'tweaking'
    StyleXP v3.16 for customising the Windows GUI.

  3. Software & Hardware   -   #3
    orcutt989's Avatar Blargh
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Location
    States
    Posts
    2,227
    I have tried updating TuneUp Utilities 2006 but it just says there are no updates to be downloaded, which I always thought was odd.

  4. Software & Hardware   -   #4
    peat moss's Avatar Software Farmer BT Rep: +15BT Rep +15BT Rep +15
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Location
    Delta B.C. Canada
    Posts
    10,816
    Quote Originally Posted by orcutt989
    I have tried updating TuneUp Utilities 2006 but it just says there are no updates to be downloaded, which I always thought was odd.

    I'v never got one either , might be my crack or key .

    @ wolfmight , great programs your using I have some of the same but perfer Giant as my antispyware app.
    Last edited by peat moss; 02-04-2006 at 04:18 PM.

  5. Software & Hardware   -   #5
    Wolfmight's Avatar Poster BT Rep: +1
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Location
    Location: Location:
    Posts
    5,873
    XsoftSpy's website has "tesimonials" for their "free" product. That's a little odd, but maybe they're just trying to get the word around. Give it out free for awhile, then charge for the rest. hehe. http://www.xsoftspy.com/

  6. Software & Hardware   -   #6
    Chewie's Avatar Chew E. Bakke
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Posts
    4,883
    Quote Originally Posted by Wolfmight
    XsoftSpy's website has "tesimonials" for their "free" product. That's a little odd, but maybe they're just trying to get the word around. Give it out free for awhile, then charge for the rest. hehe. http://www.xsoftspy.com/
    https://filesharingtalk.com/vb3/t110902.html

  7. Software & Hardware   -   #7
    fkdup74's Avatar Pneuberator.
    Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Posts
    3,616
    too many people put to much faith in these "all-in-one" apps IMO
    (Xsoft, CC, etc.)
    they specialize in nothing except for the laziness and ignorance of the end user
    next thing you know we get these threads like a while back...
    "OMFGTWTF!!!!!CRAP CLEANER DELETED ALL MY MP3S!!!!!!OHNOES!!!!!"

    here's a better idea:
    take the time to know your OS
    instead of depending on "all-in-ones" to fuck it up for you,
    try fucking it up a few times yourself, you may learn something

  8. Software & Hardware   -   #8
    Wolfmight's Avatar Poster BT Rep: +1
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Location
    Location: Location:
    Posts
    5,873
    Quote Originally Posted by fkdup74
    too many people put to much faith in these "all-in-one" apps IMO
    (Xsoft, CC, etc.)
    they specialize in nothing except for the laziness and ignorance of the end user
    next thing you know we get these threads like a while back...
    "OMFGTWTF!!!!!CRAP CLEANER DELETED ALL MY MP3S!!!!!!OHNOES!!!!!"

    here's a better idea:
    take the time to know your OS
    instead of depending on "all-in-ones" to fuck it up for you,
    try fucking it up a few times yourself, you may learn something
    I know how to clean all the things CCleaner does, but it takes 10-20x longer manually. I used to use Windows Washer, but then found that CCleaner didn't suck anymore. Now I've used CCleaner for years and havn't had a problem since.

    Registry Cleaners should be chosen wisely. I would only trust jv16powertools or TuneUpUlt2006's reg cleaners. Manually, it's extremely risky to go in by hand and delete bad registry entries.

    When it comes to Defragging, XP's Defualt defrag program Sucks compared to Diskeeper. It takes longer and does a crappier job. Diskeeper has always given people "more speed" than XP's program defrag software that's based off an "Diskeeper 7...the ancient out-of-date version"
    Last edited by Wolfmight; 02-05-2006 at 08:41 PM.

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •