Thread: Anyone tried MUTE yet?

Nevermore's Avatar Pickin' bones
    Just spotted this on digg...

MUTE: Simple, Anonymous File Sharing
    MUTE protects your privacy by avoiding direct connections with your sharing partners in the network. Most other file sharing programs use direct connections to download or upload, making your identity available to spies from the RIAA and other unscrupulous organizations.
    http://mute-net.sourceforge.net/index.php

Has anyone here tried MUTE yet? If so, is it any good?

Edit - Please only reply to this thread if you have actually used the program. I'm sure there are a lot of very intelligent people here just dying to say "No", but that doesn't tell us anything about the quality or pitfalls of MUTE.

I don't care if you haven't used it, and am not interested in helping you increase your postcount. So if you haven't used MUTE, please do us all a favour - just go post in another thread.

Thankyou.
    Last edited by Nevermore; 02-10-2006 at 06:03 AM.

2. File Sharing   -   #2
    twisterX's Avatar Poster
    nope

3. File Sharing   -   #3
    Skiz's Avatar (_8(I)
    This just sounds like something that will let you leech by disabling other downloaders/sharers ability to see you online.

yo

4. File Sharing   -   #4
    Quote Originally Posted by twisterX
    nope
    Nope you haven't tried it, or nope it's a crap program?
    If it's the former, thanks for a reply that only serves to increase your postcount, and if it's the latter, why?

Quote Originally Posted by Skizo
    This just sounds like something that will let you leech by disabling other downloaders/sharers ability to see you online.
    I guess I didn't provide enough info in my original post then.

See this page for a rather long winded guide on how this thing supposedly works.

Thanks for the replies, but I'm looking for someone with actual experience with MUTE. If you haven't used it, please don't bother posting.

I'd like to know stuff like...
    -are there enough users on the network to make it worthwhile?
    -what are the speeds like?
    -are there any problems or things to look out for?
    -is it easy to use?

5. File Sharing   -   #5
    Tried this quite awhile back around version 2.0 and from what I tested it does what it claims being security. The obvious draw back would seem at the time was speed. There were also many features yet implemented that are common for networks like restarting a dl and muti source. The client even then looked promising. There was little content at the time which was on suprise at that stage. As for ease of use its search and grab basically. Seems it has developed slower than I thought it wouldve of perhaps due to the big jump on bt around the time. May have to take a look at what the interface looks like now...
    Last edited by RealitY; 02-05-2006 at 09:27 AM.

6. File Sharing   -   #6
    Thanks RealitY.
    Guess I'm just going to have to try MFC MUTE and see for myself if it's any good.

7. File Sharing   -   #7
    Skiz's Avatar (_8(I)
    Thanks for the replies, but I'm looking for someone with actual experience with MUTE. If you haven't used it, please don't bother posting.
    Is this or isn't this a discussion forum?

yo

8. File Sharing   -   #8
    It is, but uninformed guessing about a program you have never used does not equal discussion.

9. File Sharing   -   #9
    To answer the question, I'm sure lots of people have tried MUTE yet. I don't happen to be one of them. If that's not the answer you wish to hear than you should've asked a bloody different question now shouldn't you?

10. File Sharing   -   #10
    err... wat is the sharing concept behind this software actually??
    does it implement sharing concept similar to BT or emule?