Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Islam's Roots

thewizeard's Avatar re-member BT Rep: +1
    Pwned! ???

Code:
    ...There are over one billion Muslims spread across the globe in all nationalities, languages and ethnic backgrounds. Islam was the religion of the first couple, Adam and Eve. It was also the religion of messengers of God like Noah, Abraham, Moses and Jesus.

OK maybe I missed something, but I thought that the Muslim Religion began around 700 AD... during the life of said Prophet Muhammad.

http://www.muhammad.net/

2. The Drawing Room   -   #2
    GepperRankins's Avatar we want your oil!
    the religion isn't gonna start before creation is it?

3. The Drawing Room   -   #3
    Biggles's Avatar Looking for loopholes
    All exclusive religions have to construct a "we were first" reality. It doesn't really work otherwise.
    Cogito cogito ergo cogito sum

4. The Drawing Room   -   #4
    Snee's Avatar Error xɐʇuʎs BT Rep: +1
    Bad form just ripping off judaism like that, tho'.

If they'd had class they'd renamed some of the characters at least

They could have called Adam "Achmed", and Eve "Shazam" or something

5. The Drawing Room   -   #5
    Poster
    Just to clarify something.Muslims do not think the religion God decreed for humans started with Prophet Muhammad.It started right after Adam was created.As such,he became the first prophet of Islam.And there were other prophets after him,like Nuh(or Noah) ,Jacob Isa(Jesus) Musa(Moses),and Muhammad.So we Muslims believe that all of these prophets were sent by God with basically the same message and that is: To worship the only one God without ascribing any partners to Him.

Prophet Muhammad was the last line of prophets that God had decreed to be sent.After the death of Prophet Muhammad,God wouldn't send any other prophets, unlike previously where God never mentioned in any of the previous Holy Books that He would stop sending anymore prophets.(In the Holy Koran,God has mentioned that Prophet Muhammad is the seal of the prophets,i.e the last line).And this is also why,in the Holy Koran, God has promised to protect the Koran from corruption and adulteration of any kind.

And,unlike Judaism or Christianity,the name 'Islam' was not taken from a person nor from the name of a place. (Our religion isn't called Muhammadism !).In Arabic,Islam actaully means submission,in the sense that those who follow Islam,i.e Muslims,are people who submit to the one God and believe in what He says and that means to believe in all of the prophets that we were told of(not all of God's prophets are mentioned in the Holy Koran).

6. The Drawing Room   -   #6
    JPaul's Avatar Fat Secret Agent
    Quote Originally Posted by human_pet
    Just to clarify something.Muslims do not think the religion God decreed for humans started with Prophet Muhammad.It started right after Adam was created.As such,he became the first prophet of Islam.And there were other prophets after him,like Nuh(or Noah) ,Jacob Isa(Jesus) Musa(Moses),and Muhammad.So we Muslims believe that all of these prophets were sent by God with basically the same message and that is: To worship the only one God without ascribing any partners to Him.

Prophet Muhammad was the last line of prophets that God had decreed to be sent.After the death of Prophet Muhammad,God wouldn't send any other prophets, unlike previously where God never mentioned in any of the previous Holy Books that He would stop sending anymore prophets.(In the Holy Koran,God has mentioned that Prophet Muhammad is the seal of the prophets,i.e the last line).And this is also why,in the Holy Koran, God has promised to protect the Koran from corruption and adulteration of any kind.

And,unlike Judaism or Christianity,the name 'Islam' was not taken from a person nor from the name of a place. (Our religion isn't called Muhammadism !).In Arabic,Islam actaully means submission,in the sense that those who follow Islam,i.e Muslims,are people who submit to the one God and believe in what He says and that means to believe in all of the prophets that we were told of(not all of God's prophets are mentioned in the Holy Koran).

Thanks for the explanation, much appreciated.

7. The Drawing Room   -   #7
    Quote Originally Posted by human_pet
    and one of those Prophets was Jesus, can you remember his message?

If you forget one prophet and his message, then later messages might just get taken out of context...don't you think?

8. The Drawing Room   -   #8
    sArA's Avatar Ex-Moderatererer
    I guess that my understanding stops where the concept of embrasing faith in God leads to ritual and blind obedience to doctrine decreed by powerful men (usually).

This of course applies to all religions pretty much and holy books seems to be particularly vulnerable to misinterpretation and reinterpretation as language, meaning and emphasis change over the 2 millenia or thereabouts (depending on which team you support) since.
    Last edited by sArA; 02-13-2006 at 11:45 PM.

9. The Drawing Room   -   #9
    One important thing that I remember and endeared me to Buddhism is one of the statements Buddha made, he said, "Don't believe everything you read in books, including Buddhist books"

10. The Drawing Room   -   #10
    Filliz's Avatar ______________
    Quote Originally Posted by thewizeard
    "Don't believe everything you read in books, including Buddhist books"
    If only those fanatic bible,koran and other holy book huggers would realise this.

The Bible for instance,how many times do you think it has been revised to suit the needs and wishes of the people in power?
    Especially in the Dark Ages where the only people that could read or write were monks.

hmm...asspie

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast